+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17

Thread: Mid Atlantic Forum Gathering 2010/2011

Real turns? Darn. I was afraid of that.
    "Not always fast... but always on edge!"
    CRU143

Guys, great videos, looks like you were having a fun day. You were looking for tips, so here are some quickies.

In.Racer: You're losing time at the start. You stop skating too soon, and wait for the gate to come to you. Go get it! And skate right around it. More angulation, especially at the end of the turn. Your sometimes leaning after you pass the gate and lose your outside ski. The turn doesn't get completed properly when that happens, release energy is lost, the line drops low, and you end up late. Sound familiar?

Remedy: Schlopy drills and pole touch drills. Do them free skiing, and in the course.

Putterman: You're following your skis. In other words, chest and pelvis rotate in the direction of the turn as you start it. It causes a slight push at initiation, a ski split, a bit of an inside shoulder drop, and too much weight moving to your inside ski. It's most prevalent on your right turns. Watch the video, focusing on your right turns, and you should be able to see the things I pointed out happen.

Remedy: Early counter. Drive your new inside hip forward to begin your turns. Do it as you transition into the turn, and as your skis are rolling on edge. Let the hip drop into the turn, trying to keep your shoulders and hips level to the snow as you do. It will feel wrong to you at first as though your body is rotating the wrong way, away from the turn. You're right,,, it is,,, and it should. It will just feel strange for a bit because it's "counter" to what you've been doing. The Schlopy drill is good for this too. Hands on hips drill helps also. Use them to drive the inside hip forward. They provide feedback so you know you're doing it. Watch RacerX in his video run. He's doing it properly. See the nice early angulation it provides him. Pelvis drops into the turn, shoulders stay level.

RacerX: Good looking skiing. As I said to Putterman, you're initiating well, with a good inside half drive. Two things I see in your skiing that need mention. You're line is perhaps a bit conservative? Some of the turns looked like you were hanging on a low edge at the top of the turn too long, waiting for the time to come to lay into the power edge. The next tip is related. Tough to tell from the camera angle, but I thinking your hanging center/aft too much. You're leading nicely with the inside hip to start your turn, but move the whole package forward a tad more to initiate the turn more fore. It will give your the early turning power to allow you to take a straighter line and get into a bigger edge angle quickly.

Flyin: You're leanin. Much the same critique and remedy I gave to In.Racer. Losing the outside ski at the end of the turn because your inside shoulder is dropping after you pass the gate. Don't lean your body towards the next gate during the bottom half of your turn, stay balanced, and let your outside ski remain engaged and carving, and take you to that next gate. Do the drills I told In.Racer.

Hope that's helpful, guys. You're looking really good out there, keep having fun!
    GOOD LUCK, HAVE FUN, GO FAST !!

www.YourSkiCoach.com

Thanks, fastman, that was very helpful. I completely know what you are talking about. When I do it like I should, I feel it. I really feel the carve pulling me where my body isn't aiming...if that makes sense. I think I was doing that more early in the season, and the last bunch of times out, I reverted back to old habits. I will keep this in mind for Nationals, though, I think I will be more in survival mode than anything else. Thanks for taking the time to give our runs serious thought. It was very kind of you.
    I drink, therefore I am!
    CRU145

Fastman is da Man that knows racin'
    He has given me some great info.
    Many ATTABOYS to Fastman for his participation of the forum.

That kind of advice and help is what makes this forum great. Thanks again fastman. You and TC gave me some stuff to work on. Now, I just have to make sure I save this thread in my favorites so I make sure to get back to it next year...
    I drink, therefore I am!
    CRU145

I agree - thanks Ric, great evaluation. I look forward to working with you again in the future sometime - trust me, we will.
    If you win, but in so doing, lose the respect of your competitors, you've not won anything at all - Paul Elvestrom - 4 time Danish Olympic gold medalist in Sailing

Thank you fastman! I will do my best to figure out what those drills are and practice them next season. I think I know I'm leaning. I just have to learn to stop.
    "Not always fast... but always on edge!"
    CRU143

So I know it is not even September but has anyone started thinking about a location for this year's meeting? I am trying to start planning my ski trips and dont want to miss out on a great weekend racing with everyone again. Send me a PM or post on the forum for ideas. The summer heat is over so its time to start thinking cold snowy winter!

I am in anywhere within a days drive pending the outcome of a few more knee surgeries. Maybe we could get together twice. Once for the Open depending on when and where that is and another time later in season at a resort of our choice. Anyway, I am drooling with anticipation. My brother is back from TX and living in the area. I am hoping to get him involved. If he does we have a large waiver between eachother that will up the stakes at least for me. I pretty sure that "Speedy" is in as well.

I think we should open the discussion as to where we should go and why?

I only know a few nastar courses and the best by far was the course at Wyndam. I have heard the Nastar course at Bear Creak in PA was good. Of course I would put a vote in for BK, but move it to Jack Rabbit or Deer Run. I may be able to make that happen if we could get a a large enough group. Deer Run May be too steep for some. Jack Rabbit would be great. I would estimate course time could be close to 45-60 seconds. The only down fall is the inability of the current equipment being able to support 2 racers on the course at 1 time.

I will start a new Mid-Atlantic Forum gathering 2011/2012 topic for discussion

+ Reply to Thread