12 63.16%
  • I don't know yet?

2 10.53%
  • Dude, what changed...........

1 5.26%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: The New Look: Web site and Forum pages

Just received word that missing functions of the forum should be implemented on Friday. Hopefully all the issues will be addressed
    Last edited by patmoore; 11-18-2010 at 01:43 AM. Reason: Additional thoughts on the matter
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room"
    "When you're over the hill, you pick up speed!"
    NASTAR# MOO95 Ski Race Record
    NASTAR# MOO2023 Snowboard Race Record

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com
    pat-moore.artistwebsites.com

Quote Originally Posted by putterman View Post
    The old format was SO simple to use, even a caveman could do it!
    I sure hope they get this resolved soon!

Hopefully the Open registration feature will be activated on Friday at the same time the new features/fixes are added. The event is less than a month away now.....

CTC

Quote Originally Posted by jclose8 View Post
    I would like to see some sort of icons that show whether or not you have read a thread yet.
    I Agree!

And get this, I had to lengthen my repsonse to 10 characters or it wouldn't let me post it - jeez!

As long as they're soliciting bug reports: In the toolbar at the top with "Rules & Info", "Race Results", etc. the last option is sometimes "Team Racing" and sometimes "Where to Race". It would be nice if that could be fixed so that either there are 6 spots and all choices are always visible, or keep it with 5 spots and make all but the current page visible.
    But it's just kind of weird the current way, where if you're on "Rules and Info" or in the Forum you see "Where to Race", but if you're on any other page (i.e. Rankings, etc.) you see "Team Racing". I was looking for the "Where to Race" page the other day, and it took me a long time to find it.

OK guys and gals, I'm lost here - how do I get my avatar up?

Hi Matt,

Try http://forums.nastar.com/usercp.php

Starting tomorrow there should be a link at the top of the page.
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room"
    "When you're over the hill, you pick up speed!"
    NASTAR# MOO95 Ski Race Record
    NASTAR# MOO2023 Snowboard Race Record

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com
    pat-moore.artistwebsites.com

My main problems with the new site, registration and getting access to old information aside, as it seems that is working now. Keep in mind, these are coming from a guy that studied IT in college with a focus on software usability and design!

1. Lose the white background. The site as a whole is too bright and washed out looking. It gives me a headache to spend any amount of time on here reading.

2. Too much wasted space. Why do the forums categories on the home page and the thread titles have to be so big? In the age of 16:9 HD monitors, that is a lot of extra scrolling! It wouldn't have been as big of a deal 5 years ago on an old 4:3 monitor, but this is almost 2011. If anything make the site WIDER, not TALLER.

3. Bring back the quick links for forum functions (search, preferences, etc.). These should be easily accessible from the forum pages and not buried in with the main site options. I'm still trying to find the "Search" button!
    Atomic SL12 165
    Lange RX 100
    Leki TTB SL

When you make a change like this I think it's fair to say that some problems were to be expected, including the functionality issues which seems to be diminishing. The sites performance is good, it seems to stay up and it's got some nice links to other sites. However, now that we are a month or more into the new site I think it's worth pointing out a few things that I think would make the site actually usable, not just functional.

1) One Login! How stupid is this two login thing? What's the point of having a forum for Nastar racers if they don't have a Nastar race record? Make it mandatory that to use the forum you have to have a Nastar ID. When you register for the forum simply ask for the race record Id and Pw and validate that forum member Racer139 really is SAM397 and forever after that point just make the forum login link you to your race record.

2) Use the real estate better. The fonts are way too big. It's like reading a powerpoint presentation. And please tone down the whites! If I bring up the site on my blackberry I can light up any dimly lit room!

3) Navigation could be better. It should not require knowledge of the old site to find stuff on the new site. It's not obvious how to get to the root of the forum section. Nor is it at all obvious how to find resorts that offer Nastar. If your selling something the first thing you need to communicate is what your selling and where to get it. Only because I know what to look for could I find the resort list.

I don't have a NASTAR race record. I haven't raced NASTAR since the mid-'70s, so I doubt I'm in the system. I don't have a local NASTAR venue, so that will not change anytime soon.

You expect some bumps in the road in any upgrade, but so far (judging by the poll results and my own experience) has not been a positive change. The old main site could have certainly used a freshening up, but the forum itself was functioning fine from a user standpoint. Not perfect by any means, but better than this. I've tried to find something positive about the change, and so far I'm drawing a blank.

Not a great idea to roll out a major change right before ski season, either. This should have been done months ago, so problems could have been fixed before the majority of the customers start returning to the site.

+ Reply to Thread