+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Easy Timing System

Im looking for a simple gate-training timing device that is very portable and easy to use. Its not important that times be displayed to anyone other than the skier making the run. Ive heard about a system with a personal display (apparantly it looks like a digital watch) worn by the skier that starts when the skier passes a first gate, and ends when he/she passes the end of the course. Each skier would have their own display. Does anyone have experience with this, or know where I can get information? Thanks in advance. Best "La Nina" wishes to all. Jim

I think Reliable Racing or World Cup used to sell a Holmenkol (?) system that was transponder/trigger plate based. They didnt sell it for long, so my guess is it was less than awesome.

Brower is pretty much the standard for portable timing these days, but they aren't cheap. I think World Cup Supply has the exclusive distribution for them in the States.

Why do you want a timing system? I ask because I own one (in my case an Alge system), and use it for my intramural league and Masters training days. To set even a training course, I have to arrange for dedicated hillspace (not always easy), coordinate with patrol, and rope it off from the public. Thats before I can plant one gate or set up timing. Logistically, it's a lot of work to pull off a training day. Between timing gear, gates, and associated race equipment, I probably have $10K invested, so it's not exactly cheap either.

Other than races, I probably time maybe 2 training days a season. My equipment does not see a whole lot of use for training, because training with a timer can be counter-productive if done too much.

If all you're looking for is training, I would stick to NASTAR, join a USSA Juniors/Masters program, ask a local college team if you can train with them, or find a local ski club that does training days. Let them do the leg work and spend the money.

Mike,
    This is a belated thanks for replying to my question. The timing system would be used by our local masters group, and dedicated hill time usually isn't a problem. Our Nastar (beer league) doesn't start until the end of February, so this is basically our only option for timed runs. One of our guys identified a "Freelap" system out of Canada. Do you (or anyone else on the forum) have experience with this system. Its a little pricy, but if it works it might be the ticket.

FYI, I had the chance to ski Alyeska a couple of years ago. Great fun (but a little foggy!).

Thanks,
    Jim

Jim, I did see a reference to that system on bomberonline.com's forum but it was quite a while ago. Maybe I can find it.

Any system that can use NASTAR software can use Ski Club software from splitsecond.com. I think it's produced by the same guy. There is a free demo download. Get it here.

I also found this system but don't know anything about it.
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room"
    "When you're over the hill, you pick up speed!"
    NASTAR# MOO95 Ski Race Record
    NASTAR# MOO2023 Snowboard Race Record

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com
    pat-moore.artistwebsites.com

I haven't used the Freelap system, but it looks to be geared towards bike applications. What I would be concerned with there is the bulk of the transmitter, the range (NLOS) of the transmitter, the durability in wet environments, and the support you could get for it.

I have used the Brower system for years, and the latest versions are much more robust and easy to use. Setup is quick, and although the components are proprietary, it has decent support in the States (through World Cup Supply). Been around for years, and very popular with clubs. When you're dealing with any portable and therefore proprietary system, having the company stay in business is very important. It used to be that I would fix old sensors and timers, but they have move far beyond my skills without detailed schematics. I have to rely on the company to do any real repairs now.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Mike View Post
    I haven't used the Freelap system, but it looks to be geared towards bike applications. .
    Hi Guys

Just to keep you inform that Freelap does now offer an affodable and accurate timing solution designed for Alpine sports with a proper start gate. You can actualy see the system in action here

:

http://www.freelapcanada.com/alpinetiming
    Last edited by freelap; 06-17-2011 at 05:05 PM.

Whoa. Way cool.

Unhappy

Verbier! My favorite place in the world!!! Haven't been back in quite some time though.

We got to test this system on our local race team. Set up is easy. I did find use of the personal timers a little difficult.

Hi Guys

Just a quick update to let you know we now have the alpine timing products online on our website. Some interesting information about the Freelap timing system is also available in our FAQ section.

http://www.freelapcanada.com/alpinetiming

Last edited by freelap; 11-16-2011 at 01:57 AM.

+ Reply to Thread