+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Jeanette Saylor trains with the US SKi Team

Super Moderator
    Winning the Nature Valley NASTAR National Championships is a thrill, but winning a trip to train is the US Ski Team in Chile is awesome! Jeanette has returned from Valle Nevado and she will be telling us about her experience. The snow sports world took note of the exceptional reward:

http://www.usskiteam.com/alpine/news?storyId=2925
    http://www.go211.com/snow/news/nature_vall...inners_to_camp/
    http://www.theskichannel.com/news/skinews/...-US-Womens-Team
    http://www.realvail.com/article/154/Colora...ng-NASTAR-title
    http://www.skicommunity.net/news/13754
    http://www.skiracing.com/?q=node/1731
    http://www.wikio.com/webinfo?id=214934004

Stay tuned

Super Moderator
    2010 Trip to Valle Nevado Chile with the US Womens Ski Team

After winning the Nastar Championships I was very excited and honored to be able to go on a trip like this. I did wonder however how a 54 year old could keep up with the fastest women ski racers in the world??????? These ladies are in tip top shape and ski nearly all year round. Time will tell. Hope I survive.

Before I left, Evan Miller from the US Ski team sent me a beautiful US Ski Team outfit consisting of a Spyder Jacket, Spyder Tech Suit, Reusch Gloves, Hat, turtleneck, and socks. WOW, how lucky am I??? THANK YOU US SKI TEAM, NATURE VALLEY, AND NASTAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FOR EVERYTHING.

Sept. 9th and 10th

Had a very exciting morning before I left for Valle Nevado, Chile. Brad Smith called from Nature Valley and wanted to go over a few things before I left. He wanted to make sure that I received the HD video flip camera from them so I could document my trip and write a blog. What is a blog?? Then I had a call from the US Ski team to get a little background about my skiing history. On the way to DIA I had another call from Kaylin Richardson to wish me well,have fun, and to tell the ladies on the ski team she said hi and missed them. I flew from Denver to Atlanta got there around 6pm, then onto Santiago, Chile at 10pm and arrived at 7:30 AM. The flight went well and I slept most of the way. When I got there I had a little trouble finding the US ski team because I was on an earlier flight. Luckily, I found Maria Riesch from the German Womens ski team and she pointed them out for me. Wow, that was cool, she was very gracious and tall!!!! When we had all our luggage and ready to go there was no bus. Sara Schleper,Hailey Duke, Kiley Staples, and Resi Stiegler were on a mission to find our bus, luckily Sara speaks really good Spanish. Sara also had a flip camera and was interviewing everyone that was with us on our trip, little did I know she was going to make it into a movie for USSA face book site. After about 1 ? hours we were on the bus and headed to Vallely Nevado, but wait, we had to stop at the Jumbo Supermarket to get snacks and water. It was wild in there, tons of people. Seemed very caotic but the ladies knew what they were doing. I think they have done this before. Got on the bus again and the long 2 hour winding road trip began, thank goodness I had a holistic Dramamine with me. If you have ever been thru the narrowest part over Indepedence Pass out of Aspen, the road was just like that except at least 1 hour long. That day was very foggy where the driver could only see about 5 feet in front of him. Scarry!!!! We did make it safe and sound, unloaded our stuff and met at 6:30 for a meeting and dinner at 7. My accomadations and food were great. Sara Schleper, Hailey Duke, Resi Steigler, and Kiley Staples made me right at home as well as the Coaches Trevor Wagner, Pete Anderson and Roger Bay. Also on the trip were Jeff the Doctor; Matt the phyisio; Jonathan Wyatt, ski teck for Hailey and Meagam ; Matao, ski tech for Sara and Resi. Fun group!!!!

Sat. Sept 11th

Up at 5:30, breakfast at 6, on the hill at 7am. GS training today. We woke up to beautiful blue skies and great snow for training. I decided to free ski a little longer than the ladies because I did not know how I would do because of the altitude. When I felt ready I had 4-5 runs in the course. We are sleeping at 10,000ft and skiing at about 13,000. The course was under the Mirador lift, great terrain and snow. Again, the coaches were fantastic and let me do whatever I felt I could do. Off the hill by 11 or so, lunch at 12, conditioning at 2, meeting at 6:30, dinner at 7. I had a fun and full day.

Sun, Sept 12th

Up at 5:30, breakfast at 6, on the hill at 7. GS training today under the Andes Lift. Really foggy today with misty snow that would collect and freeze on your goggles. I had only 3 runs on the course today because of the conditions. Really thick fog would come in and out of the course. Trevor decided to pull the course early to protect his ladies from injury. You could hardly see from one gate to the next. This hill was really fun except you could not see. I think today the altitude got me, not feeling so well so after lunch I elected to take a nap. Yeh!!!! Slept about 2 hours, feel much better. The ladies invited me to their room for hot chocolate and to watch the video that they had put together from the trip so far. What a riot, they are so funny and cute!! Sara did most of the interviewing , then Hailey did all the video part on her computer. Amazing!!!! Meeting at 6:30, dinner at 7.

Mon, Sept 13th

Up at 5:30, breakfast at 6, on the hill at 7. GS training under the Mirador lift, about 30 gates. Well, we woke up to another terrible day, ha ha!!! Beautiful blue skies, and 6 inches of dry Colorado Powder. It was so fun to ski powder during our summer. We had to move all that snow off the course so we could train GS. Today, I got 5 good runs in and I felt great. Every run I got better. Great course and snow. The coaches were helping me to figure out the rise line and how to get off my edges sooner, I seem to hang on too long. It has to be an age thing or something like that. I felt pretty good I survived today and had some great feedback from the coaches and Sara. We ended the morning with doing a few drills and free skiing before lunch. The views today of the Andes mountains were incredible, so beautiful. Made me feel really lucky again to be here. After lunch around 2, I met the ladies in the gym where they worked on a dance. The Tech and Speed girls are in a competition to see who can come up with the best dance routine and video. What is their prize?? I dont know, but they are sure having fun. MTV watch out!!! Meeting at 6:30, dinner at 7. Tonight at dinner we had a lot of laughs and played poker. Sara won, Kiley 2nd and I was 3rd. Tomorrow they have the day off so I am going free skiing if the weather is nice.

Tues, Sept14th

Slept in this morning and had breakfast at 8 which was a luxury. Decided to go skiing and check out more of the mountain. Free skied on a run called shake on the Tres Puntas poma lift. I guess on Thursday we are going to run a 65 gate course on that run so I wanted to check it out. Flat light today, but still fun. Valle Nevado is huge. Lots of high speed lifts and Pomas. Valley Nevado is all above tree line so I bet there is a lot of wind and I guess it can snow 3-4 overnight in the winter. What great powder skiing that would be. Today Meagan McJames drove over from Portiolla where she was training DH and now is meeting up with the tech team to train GS and SL. Meeting at 6:30, dinner at 7.

Wed. Sept 15th

Up at 5:30, breakfast at 6, on the hill at 7. Another beautiful blue bird day in Valle Nevado. We trained on the Valle Di Inca Poma lift. Today the ladies were showing me how to do a great start so Sara did her famous roar for me. She certainly has a good set of lungs!!!! The course was really fun today. It was about 41 sec. for the ladies, I wont tell you what I had. But I will tell you that my times were getting faster with every run through because of my excellent coaching. Sara told me I was rocking and that I should be proud of my times. That made me feel good. Thanks, Sara!!!! Today, was a really fun and good ski training day for me. Thanks again Trevor, Roger, Pete and ladies for this opportunity. Meeting at 6:30, dinner at 7.

Thurs. Sept 16th

Up at 5:30, breakfast at 6, on the hill at 7. My last day in Valle Nevado and again it is gorgeous out. Beautiful blue skies with breath taking views. I will miss this. GS training on Shake from the Tres Puntas lift. Today, the ladies are going to make 4 runs on this long, long, steep course and then take 8-10 SL runs on a different hill closer to the village. I took 4 runs also but I started about ? way down the pitch, it was still a long course for me but I made it and I am still in one piece. As you know as you get older that is always a good thing. Went down with the ladies and watched as they trained SL and took some video of them. Then decided to get in a few more free runs before I had to leave. This trip was truly amazing. The trip down on the taxi was a bit different than going up, I could see the beautiful mountains and the steep canyons. Bye Bye Valle Nevado, Chile and hello Denver, CO!!

What a great report! Thanks for sharing the experience. Sounds like the trip of a lifetime.

Best of luck to you in your attempt to repeat next March!
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room"
    "When you're over the hill, you pick up speed!"
    NASTAR# MOO95 Ski Race Record
    NASTAR# MOO2023 Snowboard Race Record

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com
    pat-moore.artistwebsites.com

Congratulations Jeanette! Thanks for sharing your experiences and I am glad you represented not only Nastar so well, but in particular our Female 50-54 age group. You rock!

ChiTownChick :cool:

What a great report! Thanks for sharing the experience. Sounds like the trip of a lifetime.

Best of luck to you in your attempt to repeat next March![/b]

Thanks for reading. Sounds like you are an ispiration for your group. Keep skiing!!!!!

Congratulations Jeanette! Thanks for sharing your experiences and I am glad you represented not only Nastar so well, but in particular our Female 50-54 age group. You rock!

ChiTownChick :cool:[/b]
    Thanks, Lets get more women moving and out on the slopes. It is such great fun!!! :wink:
    Jeanette

great read! sounded like a blast, though I'm sure I would have come down with major altitude sickness.
    are there links to the videos you and the ski team took?

Here's a link to their first video.
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room"
    "When you're over the hill, you pick up speed!"
    NASTAR# MOO95 Ski Race Record
    NASTAR# MOO2023 Snowboard Race Record

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com
    pat-moore.artistwebsites.com

great read! sounded like a blast, though I'm sure I would have come down with major altitude sickness.
    are there links to the videos you and the ski team took?[/b]
    I think there is one on the USSA site and I have posted a few on my facebook page. I'll be putting more on soon. It was a blast and I too would of come down with major altitude sickness if I did not get to our CO mountains for some biking before I left. Thanks for reading. See you on the slopes.

Thanks so much for sharing Jeanette.

Really enjoyed the recap.

+ Reply to Thread