+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Pics from Nationals - Critique Me!

Wow. That's awesome, Pat! Can you morph a third picture in behind Putterman?

[/b]
    Hi Jamie! Nope. My program only allows two photos. Maybe I should take yours and morph it into this one. There won't be much change.

Plan on coming to WP next year so you can teach me how to look like that!
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room"
    "When you're over the hill, you pick up speed!"
    NASTAR# MOO95 Ski Race Record
    NASTAR# MOO2023 Snowboard Race Record

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com
    pat-moore.artistwebsites.com

Sorry, Jamie, I don't think it'll work...too many colors in your photo! :mrgreen: Seriously, though, I know my form in this pic isn't the best, and like I said, it begs for critiquing, too. I just wanted to throw it out there for something to morph to. I was going to ask if Pat could add a third photo (of someone in a better position than mine) into the morph if someone wanted to supply one...

INDY GS, while I'm sure you had no intention of a thread hi-jack, you might be better served by starting your own thread. That way we won't have two conversations going at once. I'd be happy to put in my two cents, but I don't think you'll get much... you look pretty good...

No, Pat, I don't mind that you posted the pics, but there really HAS to be a disclaimer here: My edges had a really bad tune and had a bunch of structure. I felt like I couldn't turn them to save my life. This was on my second run, after falling on my first run. So, I was very uneasy and had no confidence and no trust in my skis. While I didn't fall on this run, it was still slower than my first run. The fall in the first run was because I didn't angulate, I leaned, I went down on my right hip/butt, I somehow got the inside edge of my left ski to grab, got up and didn't miss the gate. I actually got it on video! And the photographer that posted pics of the Open in the General section of this Forum got a pic of me with one ski up in the air while down...browze his pics and you can see it. Anyway, so, I don't mind them being posted, but it certainly isn't my best. I was trying not to fall, and when you do that, well...
    I drink, therefore I am!
    CRU145

Sherman, as for weight transfer and which ski I went to...who knows, like I just said in my post above, I was in survival mode/don't fall mode. That's all I can tell ya... Maybe if Pat or someone else ever gets my in sequence on a good day, I'll post those.
    I drink, therefore I am!
    CRU145

INDY GS, while I'm sure you had no intention of a thread hi-jack, you might be better served by starting your own thread. That way we won't have two conversations going at once. I'd be happy to put in my two cents, but I don't think you'll get much... you look pretty good...[/b]
    I was not intending to Hijack a thread, just seemed to fit here rather than starting a new thread. Thanks for the compliment.

Really, by all means, start a new thread, you never know what you might hear... Maybe we'll get some more morphing. :mrgreen:
    I drink, therefore I am!
    CRU145

My morphing technique is getting a little better. I got brave and decided to see what I need to do to emulate Steve Nyman. When I first saw my own picture I wasn't too disappointed.....until I saw how it's supposed to be done. I've watched it repeatedly and I think I'm learning from it. He really drives that inside hand forward.

<div align="center"><span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS">Yet another MORPH</span> </div>
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room"
    "When you're over the hill, you pick up speed!"
    NASTAR# MOO95 Ski Race Record
    NASTAR# MOO2023 Snowboard Race Record

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com
    pat-moore.artistwebsites.com

No, Pat, I don&#39;t mind that you posted the pics, but there really HAS to be a disclaimer here: My edges had a really bad tune and had a bunch of structure. I felt like I couldn&#39;t turn them to save my life.[/b]
    PUTTERMAN!!! Now that statement kind of pisses me off in a way. Dude, you only raced 4 days this whole season, and this particular race was the one that you looked forward to and traveled several hours to attend! There is no reason or excuse to show up with a bad tune.

I hope you have a damn good explanation!!! :shock:
    OREDOCK BREWING COMPANY SKI BUMS
    http://ore-dock.com/

I am a master with wood, but metal, plastic and wax are neither my forte, nor do I have the time or desire to learn to tune. I take my skis religiously to the same guy for tuning. He does a great job, and have been perfectly happy with every tune I&#39;ve had from him over the last 5 years. HOWEVER, right before the Open, he was away on a business trip/meeting, and his lacky did my tune. Unfortunately, it was a bad one. After the Open, I took them back to the shop, explained what happened, my guy took one look at the skis, shook his head, and said yup, you wouldn&#39;t have been able to turn these, there&#39;s structure all over the edges (or something like that). So, he fixed &#39;em...yes for free.

So, you ain&#39;t the only one frustrated, Jamie...

I leaened my lesson. Next time, if in the same position, I&#39;ll go with untuned skis. What is worse is that I had only raced one day since my last tune. I probably would have been just fine without a tune...
    I drink, therefore I am!
    CRU145

I leaened my lesson. Next time, if in the same position, I&#39;ll go with untuned skis. What is worse is that I had only raced one day since my last tune. I probably would have been just fine without a tune...[/b]

In the Saturday race I was 2.3 seconds faster 2nd run on demo skis. My edges weren&#39;t holding, not much edge left to work with. Sunday back in Steamboat I did the daily NASTAR course on my old K-2 recreational skis not waxed since December or tuned since last season. Got my best handicap of the season, 15.5. Needless to say I&#39;m shopping for new race skis!
    LB
    WAL18

My morphing technique is getting a little better. I got brave and decided to see what I need to do to emulate Steve Nyman. When I first saw my own picture I wasn&#39;t too disappointed.....until I saw how it&#39;s supposed to be done. I&#39;ve watched it repeatedly and I think I&#39;m learning from it. He really drives that inside hand forward.

<div align="center"><span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS">Yet another MORPH</span>
    [/b][/quote]
    5 points, if I remember them correctly, I have had with 2 race lessions with Jim, who is "the man" and Pacesetter at Snowbasin, that applied to my flawed technique that may be helpful for the originial poster, I also need to get lower:

hand position can be really helpful in terms of the hands tucked in position from the original post.
    1) One way to help with leg and waist angulation and from just "leaning" into the turn is to almost touch or imagine reaching out with the tip of the outside ski pole laterally away from you towards the slope.

2) imagine that your inside hand/handle of pole is a flashlight/headlight illuminating the way down the fall line, not across the fall line.
    I just noticed these points are seen in Pat&#39;s photos, but this is also at the point where they&#39;re coming underneath the gate and have pulled the inside hand in to avoid getting it caught up with the gate so the hand position is more extreme

i think both of these ideas work on keeping the inside hand from dropping behind you, getting you into the back seat and rotating your shoulders across the fall line and shoulder steering both of which leaves you off balance and slower

3) should be able to see your hands - I think having your hands forward promotes forward positioning on the skis

in terms of bending at the waist, it all starts with ankle flexion. I think people can tend to scissor their skis trying to get the waist bending and angulation. Scissor in the sense that the inside/uphill foot slides too far forward relative to the outside/downhill ski to help get the range of motion of the inside hip for turning. This causes loss of pressure against the tongue of the ski boot and easily puts you into "the backseat" with weight transferring away from the outside ski to the inside ski, lossing edge grip and I think the tips diverging similar to an earlier thread. Pat&#39;s pics show all the racers exitting the turn with the tips parallel. so..

4) during the turn, think of "sliding" or "pulling" the inside /uphill boot back to maintain ankle flexion and tongue pressure.

someone had posted what about transition and crossover to the next turn (?). without going into up or down unweighting for egde transition because I think speed, line set up, and angle of the slope dictate that, but again a simple thing to help promote hands in front was to

5) tap my hands/handles together in front of me and switch to the new outside hand reaching and the new inside hand pointing the flashlight down the fall line.

6) and lastly, some replied about turn initation with the big toe and then to the ball of the foot. That&#39;s a great point! Jim had also mentioned that and if you begin to pressure further behind the ball of the foot, you&#39;ll be on the heel and in the backseat again or skiding the turn.

also, if you look back up the slope after racing, you might be able to see how your line was. Ideally pressuring mostly at the top of the turn not at the bottom of the turn. I think this allows energy to be built up to move you faster down and across the fall line towards the next gate. I still have difficulty with this, but seeing this with my lession on a fresh course that we set up, it was easy to compare my line to Jim&#39;s.

That&#39;s is a lot to remember. Can&#39;t say enough about doing focusing one thing at a time free skiing before racing. I try to do the same in the gates, but by the time I&#39;ve passed the second gate, my mind is screaming "GO! GO! GO!" and by the time I&#39;m in the finish area, I&#39;m kicking myself for not sticking with what I wanted to practice.

Please feel free to comment, the SiFu&#39;s of the Forum.

I need to go to sleep and go to work.

FuMan

BTW Pat. Is there anything you don&#39;t do?

+ Reply to Thread