+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Pics from Nationals - Critique Me!

So here are a couple of pictures from Nationals. I'm looking for any input on my form. I know it is far from perfect, but it is still a million times better than last year's. There's the obvious things...too far from the gate, no real dynamic angulation happening...but what else do you see? Personally, I think I should be lower and have my knees bent more. I would have to say that the biggest plus is that I'm carving cleanly and not skidding...no rooster tails off my skis!

Sorry about the watermarks, I haven't bought any of the pictures yet!

Atomic SL12 165
    Lange RX 100
    Leki TTB SL

It's amazing how similar those shots are. It almost looks like you posted the same shot twice. Eric, I'm not a big fan of tucking the poles under the arms unless you're at a place in the course where it makes sense to tuck. I have an idea that may provide some help but it will involve some software I won't have access until tonight.

"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room"
    "When you're over the hill, you pick up speed!"
    NASTAR# MOO95 Ski Race Record
    NASTAR# MOO2023 Snowboard Race Record

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com
    pat-moore.artistwebsites.com

Eric, while I don't want to sound overly critical, I don't think you would have posted the pics and asked for critique if you didn't want to hear input... so here it goes:

I agree with Pat. Tucking in the poles for the sake of tucking them in, isn't really doing anything.

You have already mentioned what would be the obvious suggestions... Depending on your speed, a lot of angulation may not even be possible at this point in the course... it is hard to tell. That said, you do seem to be leaning, not angulating, which means you probably have too much weight on your uphill ski. One way to think of it is that from a front view (no gate visible) you almost shouldn't be able to tell if you are turning right or left based on your upper body. Your shoulders are obviously pointed toward the next gate. I think this (steering with the shoulders) is the biggest fault/signature of a Bronze/Silver racer. The second is skidding, but they kinda go hand in hand...

While hands tight to the body do create less wind resistance, they should be farther out in front of you, not tucked in at your gut. Having them out in front of you does two things, it will help get your weight forward, and it will (may) help with getting you into a lower and more aggressive position. The closer in to your body you have your hands, the less balance you have. Picture a tight rope walker. The trick is to balance out your hands being in an aerodynamic position and angulating (which many times you may need your hands wide out for). In keeping with the aerodynamics thoughts, the aerodynamics of your hands if far less important than the aerodynamics of your body, more precisely, your upper body. While your hands are tucked in nice and neat, your upper body is very erect. If your upper body were lower, it wouldn't really matter where your hands are (in front of you or wide out) because your torso creates much more wind resistance than your arms. If you watch the pros, their arms are wide out (for balance) right up to the point of the gate, then their hands come forward to get in a good position while rounding the gate (to get close to the gate, get weight forward, and drive through the turn as opposed to steering around it). Maybe that was the best way to say it... Bronze/Silver racers tend to steer around the gates with their shoulders, and Platinums set their shoulders straight down the hill and let the skis drive through the turn.

Hope that made sense. I'm sure (at least I hope) others will join in...
    I drink, therefore I am!
    CRU145

Eric,

I am not in a position to critique anyone, I just want to say the race suit looks good from a Chick's point of view.

My instructor says that when you are in that position on the course and you have a choice to pole or tuck, always pole.

Thanks Putterman for your post, I always learn from your posts.

CTC :cool:

Good input! Keep it coming!

@Pat Yes, they're very, very similar...the same gate, but on two different runs :).

@putterman Yes, makes perfect sense.

@CTC Thanks! I actually don't look as fat in that picture :D!

Regarding poles tucked vs. out...I find myself in the habit of poling for the first couple of gates then tucking the poles under to get them out of the way. As a general rule of thumb, I tuck them the whole time where the course is flatter and open it up for balance when it gets steeper.

Regarding steering...I worked on that this year (keeping upper body pointing down the hill) and had my fastest handicap ever of a 20.47 while doing it. However, I can only seem to get away with it on straighter courses, nothing as turny as Nationals. It's definitely on my "needs work" list for next year.
    Atomic SL12 165
    Lange RX 100
    Leki TTB SL

That said, you do seem to be leaning, not angulating, which means you probably have too much weight on your uphill ski.[/b]
    Actually, I put very little weight on my uphill ski. I try to keep it around 70/30, but if you look at the first shot, the tail of my uphill ski is actually off the snow! Could there be other reasons that I do not get angulation? I found this past season that keeping the upper body pointing downhill (counter-rotating) seems to help, which I am obviously not doing here.
    Atomic SL12 165
    Lange RX 100
    Leki TTB SL

I was trying to create a morph showing the difference between your form and that of my roommate Rob's but you're in different positions at the gate and the effect isn't what I desired. Rob's center of gravity is lower and he's set up very nicely for his next turn. I'll try to find a better example but in the meantime here it is.

<div align="center">
    MORPH</div>

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com

Pat, that morph was wayyyy cooooool. Even if they weren&#39;t in the same location at the gate.

Eric will no doubt see some benefit from that morph.

Okay, I know this isn&#39;t perfect, and it could use its own critique (especially with the rooster tail flying out behind my skis) but Pat, maybe you could morph this picture with his. This is a shot you took of me at the Open. It looks like I&#39;m right about at the same point in the turn as Eric. BTW, three things... If you don&#39;t think it is a good example, feel free not to do the morph; If anyone else has a better example, by all means, submit it, and third I actully wanted to just add this image in a PM to Pat, but I don&#39;t have it uploaded to any site and the only way I can see to attach an image in a PM is to have it post it with a URL, but in a thread you can upload it straight from your computer.
    I drink, therefore I am!
    CRU145

You&#39;re right Mike. Those shots do line up better. Note: I could create these in color but I&#39;m trying to conserve a little bandwidth.. Eric, you can see a big difference in "standing tall" and lowering your center of gravity as Mike does.

<div align="center">MORPH version 2.0</div>

Getting way off topic, you can have fun with this program. I took my high school graduation picture from 1964 and my WFLA-TV publicity shot from 1973 and morphed them into two Hollywood personalities - one a little better known than the other.....

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com

+ Reply to Thread