+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New favorite beer

I spent a miserable year of college in Stevens Point Wisconsin where the local brew, Point Special sold for 35 cents a quart! Being Wisconsin, and the drinking age 18 at the time, we could have beer in our dorms but nothing stronger (legally)/ We also didn't have room fridges back then, but who needed 'em in Wisconsin? The windows were lined with beer stored between glass and screen, stayed cold but you had to keep an eye out so they didn't freeze and burst. College kids can't afford to waste even bad beer. Quite a sight from outside on a weekend night, beer in evey window. We could also get nickle taps downtown in those days. For you kids, a nickle is 5 cents, you could get pretty wasted on a couple quarters.
    A year of that was enough for me and I moved to Florida where I stayed for many years. I also spent 2 years on Germany studying beer and wine, among other things. My family origins are mostly German and beer is like a health drink.
    LB
    WAL18

Hello Kun264,

I will be driving out from IL and I coach for Cascade Mtn in Portage WI and will be up there this weekend. New Glarus is great beer and is a staple of my coaching buddies. In fact one of them gave me a case for selling some skis for him on EBAY earlier in the year. None left though I drank them already. I also like Goose Island, Capital Brewing, Dogfish Head, Bell's, Long Trail to name a few. IPA's are my favorites. See you at Nationals.

Hello Kun264,

I will be driving out from IL and I coach for Cascade Mtn in Portage WI and will be up there this weekend. New Glarus is great beer and is a staple of my coaching buddies. In fact one of them gave me a case for selling some skis for him on EBAY earlier in the year. None left though I drank them already. I also like Goose Island, Capital Brewing, Dogfish Head, Bell's, Long Trail to name a few. IPA's are my favorites. See you at Nationals.[/b]
    If you like IPA's try Yard's...some of Philly's finest. Dogfish is semi-local (Rehobeth, DE) and was also started by another Drexel grad (like me)...however, I had a very bad experience with it at brew festival once (60 min IPA, as I recall) and have banned it ever since :).

P.S.
    My bass player gave me something new last week From Flying Dog Brewery called Raging Bitch (seriously). It a cross between a Belgian and an IPA or as they call it, a Belgian IPA :P. It was pretty good...almost had a tropical fruit tone to it, though it contains no fruit.
    Atomic SL12 165
    Lange RX 100
    Leki TTB SL

Beer that tastes like fruit???????? :shock:

I like beer that tastes like beer, myself.............but that's

JMHO

:razz:
    If you win, but in so doing, lose the respect of your competitors, you've not won anything at all - Paul Elvestrom - 4 time Danish Olympic gold medalist in Sailing

Flying Dog has the BEST names for their beers...
    I drink, therefore I am!
    CRU145

Hello Kun264,

I will be driving out from IL and I coach for Cascade Mtn in Portage WI and will be up there this weekend. New Glarus is great beer and is a staple of my coaching buddies. In fact one of them gave me a case for selling some skis for him on EBAY earlier in the year. None left though I drank them already. I also like Goose Island, Capital Brewing, Dogfish Head, Bell's, Long Trail to name a few. IPA's are my favorites. See you at Nationals.[/b]

The New Glarus is pretty good. My mom lives in the thriving metropolis of Coloma, WI and sis has a lake cottage near by. I've spent time in summer there since I was born so I've tried a brew or two there.
    LB
    WAL18

Tried New Glarus for the first time on Saturday. I had gone up to Tyrol Basin from Galena and was driving back through the small town of Hazel Green, Wisconsin, just a few miles from the Illinois border, when a sign at the Citgo station caught my eye "New Glarus Bewing Company Beer sold here". I slammed on the breaks, did a U turn (not much traffic in Hazel Green) and headed back and picked up a six pack of Honey Bock.

I am not a beer drinker, prefer wine, but that is REALLY good beer. I like the homemade labels and carton too, easy to recycle. Definitely worth a trip across the state line now and then...but not too often as I am counting my calories and its so good its hard to have just one..... :grin:

Sorry Glenna, I am flying to WP so I can't bring any with me. But I gave a toast to you for sharing your beer wisdom with us...

CTC :cool:

I'm from CT, and we have a lot of good beer in the northeast (My leage drinks LongTrail in the South conference, and SamAdams in the north), but I gotta toss anything from Oskar Blues, like Dales Pale Ale, into the mix as a must try. Hand Canned & crafted Rocky Mountain beer at it's finest. Don't turn your nose up at the can. The can not only keeps it fresh, it's easier to "cary out" the empties.
    Strange ones include Genessee Cream Ale.
    I remember a cheap innovative Cannadian beer where there wan a bottle opener on the bottom of the bottle to open the next one, which was it's only notable attribute. If anyone can name that beer, let me know as I haven't seen it since college.

Hi nemjeep and welcome to our little corner of the world. I'm from CT too. Have you raced NASTAR at either Sundown or Mt. Southington? The CT Ski Council series kicks off their Monday Night Race league at Southington on Dec 27. If you're not already part of a club and are interested consider Mt. Laurel Skiers.

I'm a big fan of Long Trail Ale. They gave me a snowboard!
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room"
    "When you're over the hill, you pick up speed!"
    NASTAR# MOO95 Ski Race Record
    NASTAR# MOO2023 Snowboard Race Record

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com
    pat-moore.artistwebsites.com

Mmmmm, found another. Troegg's (spelling?) Mad Elf. At $15 a 6 pack, it hits you hard in the wallet, but at 11% content, it hits you hard in the head, too! :)
    I drink, therefore I am!
    CRU145

+ Reply to Thread