+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Sandbagging

Fuman, I got you beat, I hooked a ski on the first gate, so you made it further down the course than I did.[/b]
    You guys are rank amateurs. I have kickstarted out of one or both bindings more than once, doing a face plant down the start ramp.

All the people who sandbag are what we call "never were's, never will be's, and wanna be's'. Not much different than the golfer who says they shoot an 85 when they forget about the 5 times they moved a ball, or took a gimmi on a 4 foot putt. I can say I know of a few people coming to this years Nationals that are sandbaggers to the greatest degree. A Platinum skier that skied Gold most of the year then threw in a Bronze right before the cut off. This put him solidly in Gold. Then the day after goes and smokes a 6 handicap and has not looked back since. When he wins as a Gold I will not lift a hand to clap for him.

As for me I go as fast as I can and let the chips fall as they may. My first year back racing in about 15 years and it feels great. See you at Nationals.

All the people who sandbag are what we call "never were's, never will be's, and wanna be's'.

As for me I go as fast as I can and let the chips fall as they may.[/b]
    I do not understand the racers who have two Nastar race days yet register for Nationals. I did not qualify for Nationals this year which is ok because I could not go anyway. However, in checking those who registered in my expected category, there are 15 racers registered. Of the 15 racers, 7 have 2 or fewer race days, 1 has 3 race days and the rest clearly run Nastar as often as they can and for as many runs as they can. How can you only race twice yet find Nationals so compelling you would pay for the trip, the registration cost, etc.? This just doesn't make sense to me. In nearly every case where there are only two race days, the racers has a solid gold day and then a mediocre silver day leaving them at the top of their resort for silver. For those who race 3 or more days, the true category becomes very apparent.

I really like the Nastar system but when you only race two days, it truly skews the results. At one point I was number 1 in the state but number 4 at my resort. State ranking does not qualify you for Nationals but I am beginning to think it should. Keep the top three at each resort but then also take the top 5 from each state. Thoughts?

Der 411,

I see your point, and don't know if you have ever been to a Nationals before but lots of people want to go because its such a great event and tons of fun. If you love skiing, even if you are not that much into racing, Nationals are tons of fun and the place to be. They are a GREAT way to end the ski season. This is my 6th Nationals in 8 years and I plan to go every year I qualify as long as I can.

There are people who just can't get out to a resort with Nastar more than two days, but have been to Nationals before and want to go for the fun of it. That happened to me one year, I had just gotten married to a non skier and it was tough to get out to ski that winter after we got married. By the second year I just left him at home and went skiing more often, and now in our fifth year of marriage he is a ski widower every weekend during the winter.....and is ok with that. He goes to Nationals with me and does not even ski, he snowshoes, and just likes being there at the event. People also have health issues and injuries. So you just don't know.

That having been said there are those sandbaggers who do the two day thing. It's pretty blatant. I guess that medal they are sure to get means SO much to them they figure its worth it - which seems very silly because it does not mean anything unless you are racing against people at the same level or better than you are.

Hope you can make it next year,

CTC :cool:

der411: It's possible that these people may be in a race league that doesn't report its results to NASTAR. Or maybe they're a parent whose kid races frequently and qualified, and the parent usually stands and watches, but once it became apparent that the kid was going to go to Nationals the parent decided to qualify, too. Probably lots of other possibilities, as well. I'm not saying they're likely...just that they're possible.
    Likewise with sandbagging. You see a result like the guy that hga1976 described, and yeah, they probably were sandbagging. But maybe that day he got a bronze he was hurt, had an upset stomach, his dog had just died, or whatever.

I do not understand the racers who have two Nastar race days yet register for Nationals. I did not qualify for Nationals this year which is ok because I could not go anyway. However, in checking those who registered in my expected category, there are 15 racers registered. Of the 15 racers, 7 have 2 or fewer race days, 1 has 3 race days and the rest clearly run Nastar as often as they can and for as many runs as they can. How can you only race twice yet find Nationals so compelling you would pay for the trip, the registration cost, etc.? This just doesn't make sense to me. In nearly every case where there are only two race days, the racers has a solid gold day and then a mediocre silver day leaving them at the top of their resort for silver. For those who race 3 or more days, the true category becomes very apparent.

I really like the Nastar system but when you only race two days, it truly skews the results. At one point I was number 1 in the state but number 4 at my resort. State ranking does not qualify you for Nationals but I am beginning to think it should. Keep the top three at each resort but then also take the top 5 from each state. Thoughts?[/b]
    Hi Der,

Not a perfect system, but pretty darned good for "week-end" racers.

If you want to go to the ationals, contact NASTAR and tell them you are interested in attending, they do give exemptions.

Actually, I just got an email recently saying that even if I didn't qualify but still wanted to participate in Natioanls, they still have spots available and will accept racers that didn't qualify but are interested in participating. Good luck!
    I drink, therefore I am!
    CRU145

The 1st year I qualified in Platinum there were only 3 in my age group so I got a medal. Many of the sand baggers in the Gold division skied faster than me but didn't get a medal as there were quite a few in the gold catagory. That solved the problem for women I my age group. Since then Platinum has been a larger group, except this year so far only 2, but not many in gold, silver or bronze either.
    LB
    WAL18

Actually, I just got an email recently saying that even if I didn't qualify but still wanted to participate in Natioanls, they still have spots available and will accept racers that didn't qualify but are interested in participating. Good luck![/b]
    Yeah, check this guy out! I'm guessing he came over from Austria or Germany. http://www.nastar.com/index.jsp?pagename=r...p;compid=751191 He just raced on the 15th and 16th (of March!)and then registered for Nationals...WTH? According to his record, he's never even run NASTAR before (or just not under this account). On top of that, he's on the verge of being a gold racer...I have a feeling the rest of us in the division are screwed. I'm normally not one to complain about sandbagging, but the whole thing seems a bit fishy.
    Atomic SL12 165
    Lange RX 100
    Leki TTB SL

Eric,

I noticed that guy, too. I looked it up out of curiousity - Frenchs Forest is a suburb of Sydney, Australia.

+ Reply to Thread