+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Cross training

Cross training

What's everyone doing to cross train?

Now that we are in the second third of the off season, I'm trying to do SOMETHING RELEVANT three times a week. I started roller blading this spring and really like that. But I don't think it will get me there.

Being a Mumster, I'm not strong, but I want to gain strength before next season (just call me Muscle Mum 8) ). I'm curious about:
    1. What are others doing to improve their fitness?
    2. What's a reasonable strategy for the less ...hulking athlete who wants to improve?

Off season training

Funny you should mention rollerblading. My child bride (she's only 51) donned hers yesterday for the first time in about three years so she could get some exercise while I'm on the unicycle. Unfortunately her speed didn't match mine so we couldn't cruise together. The "uni" is oversized (28" diameter wheel) and can move along at a good clip. I'm even managing to negotiate speed bumps! Obviously it's great for balance and I'm discovering it gives the quads a very good workout too. Now that I've mastered free standing starts I don't need to find a lamppost to hang on to when starting out.

Pat
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room"
    "When you're over the hill, you pick up speed!"
    NASTAR# MOO95 Ski Race Record
    NASTAR# MOO2023 Snowboard Race Record

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com
    pat-moore.artistwebsites.com

Pat,
    The camp I went to at Mt. Hood (MHSSC) got 3 Uni's....NOone could ride them. I tried hanging on to a long handrail, and could go about 6 inchs :(

I am very impressed with anyone who can ride one for more than 15 feet with out falling :wink:
    www.Paskiandride.com/
    ^^Check it out^^

Unicycle and cross training

Hi dude,

I'm glad you tried the uni while you were out west. Don't give up on it. I found it's great for getting my quads in shape for the GS snowboard.

This particular uni is a bit of a challenge mounting because the seat is so high. I've mounted an odometer to keep track of distance and speed. I did 1.3 miles last evening in high humidity at an average speed of 6.1 mph. I did hit 10.9 mph for a max speed but going that fast requires your undivided attention!

Here's a shot of it. Believe it or not, you can even buy one with a 36" diameter wheel.

Pat

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com

Re: Off season training

Originally posted by patmoore
    Funny you should mention rollerblading.  My child bride (she's only 51) donned hers yesterday for the first time in about three years so she could get some exercise while I'm on the unicycle.  Unfortunately her speed didn't match mine so we couldn't cruise together.  The \"uni\" is oversized (28\" diameter wheel) and can move along at a good clip.  I'm even managing to negotiate speed bumps!  Obviously it's great for balance and I'm discovering it gives the quads a very good workout too.  Now that I've mastered free standing starts I don't need to find a lamppost to hang on to when starting out.

Pat
    Pat:
    If the child bride can't keep up, make sure her wheels get rotated. My speed (and sense of security) improved a lot after Dadster rotated the roller blade's tires. :lol:

Rollerblading

The wheels on her rollerblades are awful. We each bought our blades when a store went out of business and we got entry level models with the cheapest components imaginable. Spinning a wheel by hand results in maybe two more revolutions after release. I bought better ones to replace mine but hers need a similar treatment.

On the other hand, she gets a great workout!!

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com

Here's what we do

(1) I'm not saying YOU should do this. I'm just listing what I do.
    (2) See your Dr before starting an exercise program.
    (3) Emphasize form over results. If your not sure how to do the exercise, don't until you've found out how. Do the exercise properly to derive the benefit.

The most fundamental aspect is to build basic endurance. Pick an exercise you enjoy: swimming, biking, jogging, what ever. The idea is to get your heart rate elevated for about 20 minutes 2-3 times per week. Done in moderation, aerobic exercise is good stuff for everyone.

The next most fundamental aspect is flexibility. Here are a few basic stretches. The examples come from http://www.exrx.net Lots of good stuff there - check it out.

Hamstring/Back Stretches

Keep your thighs tensed to keep your knees from bending. Keep your back straight to avoid over stressing your back.

Thigh

This will stretch the inside thigh and groin.

hips

After that, you can work on strength. There are two types- basic strength and explosive strength. I'll start with basic strength.

Here are the exercises I've found useful. I've grabbed images off other sites where they are useful. I start with 10 reps and work up to 30 reps. Then, I try to work up to 3 sets of 30 reps with each exercise.

Core Strength
    Most of your ability to place yourself in a certain body position comes from the muscles in your torso - the stomach, side, and back muscles. To be at your best, you need these muscles to be strong and flexible.
    The Mayo Clinic has a site that shows core strength exercises. It's located at http://www.mayoclinic.com/findinformation/...37DCCFE449D25E3 Here are the one's that I do:

Crunches

Plank

Side Plank

Superman

Leg Strength
    Your legs need to have strength, flexibility, and power to help reduce injuries and to be able to stretch into that long leg-short leg, high edge position. These exercises help me. Right now, I'm just using my body weight (eg, no barbells) with 2 sets of 30 reps. These come from www.exrx.net.

Step Ups

You can get a good workout without the weight. Simply use a stick or broom handle to maintain good posture.

lunges

You can also do this without the walk forward. Start with your legs one stride apart. Lower your body so your knee touches the floor. Your kneeling thigh should be straight up and down; your other thigh should be parallel to the floor (eg, your knees are bent at 90 degree angles). Raise straight up. Try to lower and raise straight up and down.

You can also do this "backwards"

squats

Again, plenty of benefit can be achieved without weights. Note that you don't go lower than a 90 degree bend at the knee. (Try finding a chair that's the right height. Then, lower till your butt just touches the chair and raise up.)

Toe touches

You'll need to be in shape and do this correctly. Note that the model touches the top of her feet - her hands don't go out in front of her feet. This keeps the forces closer to her body to lessen risk of injury. See http://www.exrx.net/ExInfo/DangerousExerci...ml#anchor416052 for details on bending and your back. Proper technique is a must and this could not be for you if you have an back problems.

Arm strength

The model is shown using medicine balls. I use my kid's soccer balls.

Explosive Strength
    These exercise put more stress on your joints, so check with your DR or coach before starting.

Box Jumps
    You can jump over the box...

... or onto it

You can jump forward/back (as shown) and side to side.

Plyometric Push Ups

Face the floor as if you were going to do a push-up, with your feet on the box and your hands between the mats. Push off from the ground with your hands and land with one hand on each mat. Push off the mats with both hands and catch yourself in the starting position. Keep the catch time to the shortest time possible.

Standing Vertical Jump

Tuck Jumps

You can jump up (as shown), forward/back, and side to side.

balance/coordination

Calf Raises

Too easy - lose the chair. Still too easy? Close your eyes!

Hip Flexion

Your ability to balance on one foot is essential for skiing. This will help. As above, you can do things to make it more challenging.

Hip Extension

If this is too easy, try to get into the "superman" position on one foot. See if you can touch the floor and return. Try touching at 10 o'clock, 12 o'clock and 2 o'clock.

Side leg extension

How high can you raise that leg? Are you ready to for Jackie Chan? HIYA!

Rocker Boards

These come in many shapes & sizes.

I repeated the push-ups here in case you didn't notice the balance board.

These are all pretty simple exercises that can get you in decent shape for the winter. Good luck and have fun doing them.

Thanks. My body would split into a thousand pieces if I tried to do those flexibility exercises. :oops:

I'll start with the strengthening exercizes, and work backwards.

wow!!

Great post Bob! There's no substitute for keeping in shape.

My approach is a bit non-traditional. Here are a few shots from a trip to Sugarloaf. The first is my version of body surfing. I support myself on two chairs and get someone to stand on my stomach - good workout for the abs. The other shot was taken too early. I balanced the chair on two legs a second later. The third shot is admittedly a little older (were the bell bottoms a giveaway?). I did my last standing backflip on my 50th birthday and promised the child bride (she's the one in the black t-shirt) I'd give up gymnastics. I'm always looking for ways to alleviate quad burn on the snowboard and open to suggestions for ways to accomplish it. I've been using a wobble-board (similar to a balance board but with a fixed "roller". By standing sideways on it (GS Snowboard stance) and doing balanced squats while holding small hand weights, the quads get a tremendous off-season workout. They really helped last year. I'll try to get a photo to post.

Also - my endurance is pitiful. Walking up a flight of stairs can get my heartbeat to 190. The lung capacity is exceptionally good but the ticker gets racing with any kind of exercise. Stress tests have revealed I'm a genetic mutant. The doctors have said everything else is in good shape so don't worry about it....

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com

Pre-season strength training

Great posts, Bob And Pat!! Pat, did you do those exercises in the photos before or after drinking the bottle of wine that appears on the table in one of the photos???? :D
    PEC32....Early & high sure beats late & low!

+ Reply to Thread