+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Windham Wrapup

Oddly enough, the MD, DC, VA storm was very localized. I had a 6 hour drive home and didn't see any snow for until about 3 hours into my trip. So, as long as people left our area before noon on Friday to get there, they were fine. As for the turn out... Hmmmmm, sounds like I got some misinformation from the Race desk when I called up the week before the race. Not 300 competitors like I was told. But more than last year. Hopefully more will come next year...
    I drink, therefore I am!
    CRU145

Super Moderator
    The NASTAR Open has also been posted as a Series so that participants can see how many team points they scored. The people that qualified for the Race of Champions scored points for both races:

http://www.nastar.com/index.jsp?pagename=s...mp;seriesid=124

Putterman took some video of AJ's pacesetting run on Saturday. It's now posted on YouTube.

<div align="center">AJ&#39;s Pacesetting Run</div>
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room"
    "When you're over the hill, you pick up speed!"
    NASTAR# MOO95 Ski Race Record
    NASTAR# MOO2023 Snowboard Race Record

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com
    pat-moore.artistwebsites.com

Putterman took some video of AJ&#39;s pacesetting run on Saturday. It&#39;s now posted on YouTube.
    <div align="center">AJ&#39;s Pacesetting Run
    [/b][/quote]

Looked like a fairly flat pitch (although I realize video can be deceiving)

Also, looks like the flags on about half the gates are way too high. Should be one meter off the snow - many are right near the top of the pole.
    If you win, but in so doing, lose the respect of your competitors, you've not won anything at all - Paul Elvestrom - 4 time Danish Olympic gold medalist in Sailing

As for the course, while it isn&#39;t particularly steep, it has a lot of undulation. There are three crests (and three dips). They put a gate at each of the crests, so you always had a fall away turn around a gate at the crest of the hill. If you watch closely, around the middle of the course, AJ has to "catch" himself at one of these gates. Viewing from the bottom, it is a gate on the right side. The course also ends with the last three gates being fairly steeper than the rest of the course. True this run is not a "steep", but what is challenging about it is that you gain a lot of speed. Don&#39;t believe me? The words out of AJ&#39;s mouth when he finished this run were, "Man that&#39;s a fast course." The announcer didn&#39;t realize his mic was on and commented about AJ&#39;s run, S*** that was fast... :mrgreen: ...after some other mumbles, preceded by, oh, is this still on... :mrgreen:
    I drink, therefore I am!
    CRU145

As for the course, while it isn&#39;t particularly steep, it has a lot of undulation. There are three crests (and three dips). They put a gate at each of the crests, so you always had a fall away turn around a gate at the crest of the hill. If you watch closely, around the middle of the course, AJ has to "catch" himself at one of these gates. Viewing from the bottom, it is a gate on the right side. The course also ends with the last three gates being fairly steeper than the rest of the course. True this run is not a "steep", but what is challenging about it is that you gain a lot of speed. Don&#39;t believe me? The words out of AJ&#39;s mouth when he finished this run were, "Man that&#39;s a fast course." The announcer didn&#39;t realize his mic was on and commented about AJ&#39;s run, S*** that was fast... :mrgreen: ...after some other mumbles, preceded by, oh, is this still on... :mrgreen:[/b]
    Yes, not knocking it - in fact that is exactly the type of course NASTAR should be run on - not especially steep, but with challenging terrain. I like the terrain changes (crests and bumps) - they present a challenge to all levels of racers.

Looked like fun.

I raced OVSC at Paoli Peaks last weekend, and they had a similar course - moderate pitch, but with terrain and directions changes, and a couple of rolls that really challenged you. That it what NASTAR can, and should, be!
    If you win, but in so doing, lose the respect of your competitors, you've not won anything at all - Paul Elvestrom - 4 time Danish Olympic gold medalist in Sailing

Didn&#39;t think you were knocking it. Just wanted to give some feedback on the course. I totally agree that this is what a Nastar course should be like. I have to admit, though, what I liked least about the course were the shadows from the trees along the right side of the course. It made it difficult to "find" the next gate when coming over a crest. Other than that, it was neat. Wish my skis were easier to turn, though... I&#39;m sure I would have enjoyed it more.
    I drink, therefore I am!
    CRU145

Here is a pic of what I mean by a drop off after the gate. In this spot, it is relatively flat, so it doesn&#39;t matter as much, but later in the course, when you have a lot more speed, it affects you more. BTW, don&#39;t pay attention to the knucklehead and his poor form in this pic. :oops:
    I drink, therefore I am!
    CRU145

Hi Pat,

Nice to meet you at Windham. I was bib 204, would love to see the pics you took when you get a chance. Kevinmaloney64@hotmail.com

Hope you recover from your injury in time for Winter Park.

Kevin

Appt with the ortho tomorrow morning, weather permitting. Wish me luck!

I have race course shots of the following bib numbers. email me if you&#39;d like hi-res originals.

210[/b]

malonetd
    Hey All...
    Here are some additional pictures from the event...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nastarphotos/...57623468839010/

Thanks everyone for coming out - had a great time at Windham!

Best,
    Tim

+ Reply to Thread