+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Windham Wrapup

Fun event. We had a great time. Nice job to everyone who organized/ran the event.

We had an amazing time this weekend at the event. It was well organized and ran smoothly. We can not wait until Nationals!!!

Okay, so I FINALLY have a few minutes to write down my thoughts about the Open. So, here it goes...

First I would like to say thanks to Windham. Great Nastar run, great set, great people. All the resort staff was courteous, met you with a smile, and were very helpful. I don't know what HQ's intentions are with respects to venue repetition, but if Windham is projected to be the host of the Eastern Open for a three to four year spurt like Nationals, I have no objection.

Bill Madsen did an awesome job putting this together and keeping everything running smoothly. Thanks, Bill. Also, it was a pleasure meeting him. And I'm not just talking about saying "Hi!" and moving on. I got to chat his ear off for about 15 minutes or so at registration during a lull. He was amazingly open to suggestions about Nastar stuff, and we even had a few chuckles about some previous threads. Glad to know he's keeps an eye on the forum and listens to our posts. Again, thanks Bill, for putting up with me.

AJ, what can I say about him other than this guy is FAST! What a sight to stand at the finishing line and watch him busting the gates on the way down. I got video of his pace setting run for the kids. I've watched it a bunch already, and will likely for some time to come.

BEST PART ABOUT THE OPEN (for meてカ). In general, the overall experience (meeting new people, chatting with old friends, putting faces with names from the forum membersてカPatMoore, VAskier, Stockliman, drewkillsit, sorry, that's all I can remember off-handてカ)

MOST MEMORABLE MOMENTS. Sitting in the Legends area before and after racing and not being able to do anything (sit for 10 minutes, walk through the crowd, go to the bathroom) without a kid running up to me with wide eyes and a beaming smile asking, "Are you AJ?" Apparently, we kinda look alike. With one child, a forum member, that question (even though my answer was "no") lead to a 20 minute conversation. No, not a conversation, a monologue. That had to be the cutest kid in the world. One of my favorite things out of his mouth was, "What kind of boots do you have 'cause I have Rossignols, andてカてカてカてカてカてカ". I didn't even get a chance to answer him. I hope AJ enjoys those elated faces as much as I did.

WORST PART. Ok, this isn't an excuse. Please don't read it that way. My performance on the slopes was pathetic. Let me explain. I don't necessarily mean on the course. I mean even free skiing! Before heading up to New York, I took my skis to my local shop to get a quick tuneてカsomething I do after every one or two race days. My regular tuning guy (the manager of the shop) was out (on vacation, I think). So the other tech, took care of my skis. I'm not saying that he did a bad tune (maybe he did, maybe he didn'tてカ I had a friend of mine "check" them over and he couldn't see anything obviously wrong with the tune), but I COULD NOT TURN AND CONTROL MY SKIS!!!!! Now, I know he didn't detune them at the tips and tail, so maybe that was the problem. But the bottom line was that whatever he did, it was different than what I was used to and I had no control, and no confidence. I went down on my first run (but still finishedてカamazingly). And took an extra high line on my second run, ending up in a slower time than on my first run. To make a long story short (too late) I was very displeased with my performance. That said, my Silver Medal in the Gold/Platinum Division may not have changed had my skis been tuned the way I am used to having them tuned. The guy who won the Gold was fast, and skied well. Could I have beaten him? Maybe, but it was certainly not a given. I expected to end up with a 13-15 handicap. The guy who got Gold got a 13.74. My hat is off to him. He ran a good race. BTW, I couldn't have lost to a better guyてカsuper nice.

On a funny note, I had a number of people come up to me, take a second look, and say , "Aren't you Putterman? I recognize you from your picture holding that Cup." Neat.

One thing I regret was not being a little more prepared with respects to meeting more Forum Members. Bmorecopper and I were smacking ourselves in the heads on the drive up that neither one of us remembered to bring any kind of banner or something saying "Forum Members". Obviously, there were people at the Open that are Forum Members that I never saw at the ceremonies like racedaddy and jhayfield. Not only did I almost not meet drewkillsit, I didn't even realize that he was in my age group until bmorecopper pointed it out.

All in all, a great trip. SO glad I went. I look forward to going again next year. Let's just hope I don't have to leave my wife to take care of the farm with 30 inches of snow next year! BTW, we're supposed to get another 20" tomorrow! Ughてカ
    I drink, therefore I am!
    CRU145

Oh, and yet another Forum Member at the Open I didn't meet...Anna.

And BTW, I just figured out that I DID meet racedaddy...he was even in my age group... :oops:

How did I forget to add Pat Moore to the list of Members that I met at the Open? Duh... It has been changed in my original post... I think this snow robbed me of all brain power.
    I drink, therefore I am!
    CRU145

BTW, we're supposed to get another 20" tomorrow! Ughてカ[/b]
    Another 20" is a bad thing? :razz:

The roads around Pittsburgh are getting better... Thank goodness to having a Subaru with Michelin Alpins!

Sounds like the Open was a blast!

Appt with the ortho tomorrow morning, weather permitting. Wish me luck!

I have race course shots of the following bib numbers. email me if you'd like hi-res originals.

"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room"
    "When you're over the hill, you pick up speed!"
    NASTAR# MOO95 Ski Race Record
    NASTAR# MOO2023 Snowboard Race Record

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com
    pat-moore.artistwebsites.com

What happened to the link with the great photos from Crystal? The same photographer was at Windham. I'd love to see his work there. He inspired me to fool around a little with PhotoShop.

<div align="center"></div>
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room"
    "When you're over the hill, you pick up speed!"
    NASTAR# MOO95 Ski Race Record
    NASTAR# MOO2023 Snowboard Race Record

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com
    pat-moore.artistwebsites.com

That looks like Horst!

That&#39;s because it is!!
    I drink, therefore I am!
    CRU145

Looks like you all had a great time! And Blue Sky too! Do you think the storms kept some competitors away, or do you think they all managed to arrive despite the east coast weather?

+ Reply to Thread