+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How much can Snowboarding Equipment affect my GS time?

I have a friend who is a carvin fiend.
    Hand on the ground and 6" trenches in hard snow.
    6'4" and a solid 225+.
    He gts his best times when he just mows down the gates and destroys the course.
    Taking a more popular line he can get 25's easily.

Quote Originally Posted by insanegecko View Post
    My evolution in racing (2 years)...starter with my old burton....rarely got medal, bought a donek sabre for soft boots have gotten medal in every race since, mostly bronze...thinking of an alpine board next....
    Will be angling my stance more down hill next race...what angles do most of you use?
    You'll see a wide range in angles. The prevailing thought is to go with the lowest angles you can without experiencing boot out on either side. I tend to run about 52 degrees on the front foot and 48 on the rear but there are riders with setups in the 60s.

This is a shot of my shorter GS board (168 cm). My new board is 178. Note the lifter plates. They were designed by a techy friend who asked me to test them.

Stance angles are another variable. The rule of thumb is to multiply your inseam by .6 to arrive at an optimum center-to-center distance. Some riders like my wife's cat prefer a narrower stance.

Last edited by patmoore; 01-27-2011 at 02:08 AM.
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room"
    "When you're over the hill, you pick up speed!"
    NASTAR# MOO95 Ski Race Record
    NASTAR# MOO2023 Snowboard Race Record

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com
    pat-moore.artistwebsites.com

LOVE the cat photo, Pat. Hee, hee....our male cat would probably do well on a snowboard, he is always tearing through the house. Our female cats are less energetic.

CTC

Would you call that a suit or a coat on that cat?

Look at the form on that cat. Superior inclination technique. Paws forward, shoulders square, looking well down the hill. Most impressive!

Wow, great to see all these new members! Of course ya'll are doing it all wrong with those surf boards... ;) Welcome all.
    I drink, therefore I am!
    CRU145

Quote Originally Posted by insanegecko View Post
    My evolution in racing (2 years)...starter with my old burton....rarely got medal, bought a donek sabre for soft boots have gotten medal in every race since, mostly bronze...thinking of an alpine board next....
    Will be angling my stance more down hill next race...what angles do most of you use?
    The question I would have is what are your current settings in terms of binding angles and binding/board position i.e. Forward/Centered/Back? Like any experiment you have to start somewhere and for me it was centered with 40 (back) and 45(front). from there you can experiment, but if you're in softboots you will find you have some limitations because of lack of lateral stiffness.

if your feeling you'd like to explore the hardbooting side of snowboard, head over to bomberonline.com

As SMY105 and others have stated there's a lot to binding angle. I've run the gates in everything from soft boots on a powder board (hey it's what I had that day!) to a gs race board in hard boots. On the right soft boot setup I can come close (less than a second) from my hard boots time... again this depends on course, conditions, etc.

Most softbooters I see do not have enough forward angle to run the gates and carve turns. Additionally most softbooters don't really know the carve... I thought I did but now realize I did not! As an aside if you ride your snowboard on park features your edges are probably de-tuned and will make it difficult to carve your turns.

Is there any hardbooters at your location or any hill nearby? I'd seek them out.
    Live Life... Dave
    Race Record

Snowboard race clinic at Okemo Feb 18-19

If you're in the northeast, mark you calendar for Friday and Saturday (Feb 18-19). I'll be running a two-day clinic at Okemo's NASTAR course. We'll get some classroom instruction as well as video analysis. Your cost: Lift ticket and $10 a day for unlimited runs. Marc has graciously offered his services in exchange for gas money to and from Rochester. We'll split that cost among the participants so encourage others to join us!

Writer, professor, fitness consultant and noted lecturer, Marc Cirigliano is a professor at SUNY Empire State College in Rochester, NY. A snowboard race coach, Marc has published and sold in over a dozen countries his original text The Fundamentals of Snowboard Carving and Racing. As well, he has written for noted extreme skier Dan Egané─˘s Dan Egan Entertainment Network and First Tracks! The Online Ski Magazine.

Participants can get lift tickets for $50 for each day for the clinic. I was unable to secure lodging for Friday night but if anyone needs a place for Thursday night, I should be able to get you a bunk for only $27.50 five miles from the mountain. Bring your own bedding and towels.

Runs made at the clinic will count toward qualifying for the NASTAR Nationals at Winter Park March 24 - 27. And yes, snowboard gates will be used at the clinic and the Nationals.

Please let me know if you plan to attend so I can get a rough idea of headcount.
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room"
    "When you're over the hill, you pick up speed!"
    NASTAR# MOO95 Ski Race Record
    NASTAR# MOO2023 Snowboard Race Record

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com
    pat-moore.artistwebsites.com

+ Reply to Thread