+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Who's going?

Noooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I drink, therefore I am!
    CRU145

Oh Pat! I hate it when injuries force us to "slow down and act our age"! Hope this isn't too serious.

"p.s. Got my first Platinum at my "local hill" last weekend--woo hoo! Still in the gold group, though (at least for now!) :grin: "

VA/Kathy

Sad to hear that you're not going to WP Kathy, but glad to know your going on an adventure to Africa.

Congrats on the platinum! Those are hard to come by around here.

Our local league has only given out a total of 4 platinum medals in 4 weeks. In the previous 2 weeks nobody earned above a gold, even the pacesetters. The pacesetter trials on Buck at Crystal this year have made a big difference, (5 to 10 points) in all our Midwest HC numbers. For me that is fine, I am NOT a platinum racer, this year I can only get gold on the easy courses, silver on everything else, which I think is right where I should be as a relatively new racer with lots to learn. And learning is the fun part right now for me. If only I had been smart enough to stay away from the easy courses and not be qualified in gold right now.........

Congrats on the platinum! Those are hard to come by around here.

Our local league has only given out a total of 4 platinum medals in 4 weeks. In the previous 2 weeks nobody earned above a gold, even the pacesetters. The pacesetter trials on Buck at Crystal this year have made a big difference, (5 to 10 points) in all our Midwest HC numbers. For me that is fine, I am NOT a platinum racer, this year I can only get gold on the easy courses, silver on everything else, which I think is right where I should be as a relatively new racer with lots to learn. And learning is the fun part right now for me. If only I had been smart enough to stay away from the easy courses and not be qualified in gold right now.........[/b]

Thanks, TeamHUB! It is hard to position yourself to be in the "correct" group at Nationals . . . and it's really just arbitrary, in a sense--where you place within your group just depends on where they set the "dividing lines" between each group! Best of luck with your continued improvement, and hope you and CTC have a great time at WP!!

It is hard to position yourself to be in the "correct" group at Nationals . . . and it's really just arbitrary, in a sense--where you place within your group just depends on where they set the "dividing lines" between each group![/b]
    The irony of it is that I'm back in Gold after racing in Platinum last year. I only need one good run to get back to Platinum but with the knee injury I may not be able to make any more runs until after the cutoff deadline. I can see myself getting that one run in a week after the deadline and then I'm one of those guys competing at the Nationals in a division below his current ranking. Hopefully the doctor will clear me for racing at the Open this weekend and hopefully I can regain my form. I wonder if there is a possibility of requesting to get bumped to a higher division?
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room"
    "When you're over the hill, you pick up speed!"
    NASTAR# MOO95 Ski Race Record
    NASTAR# MOO2023 Snowboard Race Record

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com
    pat-moore.artistwebsites.com

Pat, I don't see why they wouldn't allow it. Especially when you have proven yourself over and over again. It would be asking to go the other way that may be a problem.
    I drink, therefore I am!
    CRU145

Asking to be moved from Gold into Platinum at Nationals should not be a problem. It has happened in past years.
    If you win, but in so doing, lose the respect of your competitors, you've not won anything at all - Paul Elvestrom - 4 time Danish Olympic gold medalist in Sailing

The irony of it is that I'm back in Gold after racing in Platinum last year. I only need one good run to get back to Platinum but with the knee injury I may not be able to make any more runs until after the cutoff deadline. I can see myself getting that one run in a week after the deadline and then I'm one of those guys competing at the Nationals in a division below his current ranking. Hopefully the doctor will clear me for racing at the Open this weekend and hopefully I can regain my form. I wonder if there is a possibility of requesting to get bumped to a higher division?[/b]
    Adding up last years injury with this years injury, factor in your age, add in the actual wear and tear age of your knees, then throw in the stress of competing in two simultaneous events held on different hills with two different sets of equipment and this is what you have: Be happy you're competing at all and stick with gold. How would you feel if you got special permission to move up to platinum at nationals and then got seriously injured like a spine, or neck trauma, etc. where your ski/snowboard days are over. How would Bill feel if he gave you that permission and you got very hurt?

Pat, I know this because I have one bad knee, one so-so knee, two separate 28 degree twists in my upper spine at the neck and at the shoulder blade area from childhood scoliosis, and I have recovered form one type of leukemia six years ago only to begin a new battle with another type called CLL 2 years ago. This means my knees hurt, I can't bend sideways nearly as well as I should, I tire easily, and at altitude I can't carry enough red blood cells. This doesn't stop me, but it does slow me down. It makes me cautious. It makes me work harder and stay in amazingly good shape despite all of it. Most importantly it makes me appreciate being able to still compete at any level. Eventually I will have to stop competing and even then I will be very happy to come out and cheer for the other members of TeamHub, my other forum friends, and for you in gold.

Sorry about painting such a grim picture, but please do only what you are capable of doing and no more. We all hope you will be participating in many more years of nationals. Please be careful. Gold is good, someday you'll even have to make do with silver, like me!

Adding up last years injury with this years injury, factor in your age, add in the actual wear and tear age of your knees, then throw in the stress of competing in two simultaneous events held on different hills with two different sets of equipment and this is what you have: Be happy you're competing at all and stick with gold. How would you feel if you got special permission to move up to platinum at nationals and then got seriously injured like a spine, or neck trauma, etc. where your ski/snowboard days are over. How would Bill feel if he gave you that permission and you got very hurt?

Pat, I know this because I have one bad knee, one so-so knee, two separate 28 degree twists in my upper spine at the neck and at the shoulder blade area from childhood scoliosis, and I have recovered form one type of leukemia six years ago only to begin a new battle with another type called CLL 2 years ago. This means my knees hurt, I can't bend sideways nearly as well as I should, I tire easily, and at altitude I can't carry enough red blood cells. This doesn't stop me, but it does slow me down. It makes me cautious. It makes me work harder and stay in amazingly good shape despite all of it. Most importantly it makes me appreciate being able to still compete at any level. Eventually I will have to stop competing and even then I will be very happy to come out and cheer for the other members of TeamHub, my other forum friends, and for you in gold.

Sorry about painting such a grim picture, but please do only what you are capable of doing and no more. We all hope you will be participating in many more years of nationals. Please be careful. Gold is good, someday you'll even have to make do with silver, like me![/b]
    Wow, you've fought your share of medical battles yourself! I really appreciate your thoughts but I feel I'd be doing a disservice to the folks competing in Gold if I were to enter in that division. With rare exceptions, my runs have only been in our Monday Night Racing league where the pacesetter on my course is performing better than he did at the pacesetter trials. At the trials racing against AJ, I achieved Platinum by a comfortable margin. Pretty much all my other runs have been on a snowboard and even there I've managed one Platinum but it doesn't factor into the ski calculations. I just did the math and I only need one run at an HC of 18.99 to get bumped to the higher class automatically. With enough Advil I hope to be able to do that at least once in the next two weeks. If that should occur, the decision won't have to be made. If it doesn't I'm still inclined to take the bump if allowed.

Brings to mind one of my favorite quotes: <span style="font-family:Century Gothic">"When you&#39;re over the hill, you pick up speed" </span>
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room"
    "When you're over the hill, you pick up speed!"
    NASTAR# MOO95 Ski Race Record
    NASTAR# MOO2023 Snowboard Race Record

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com
    pat-moore.artistwebsites.com

Wow, you&#39;ve fought your share of medical battles yourself! I really appreciate your thoughts but I feel I&#39;d be doing a disservice to the folks competing in Gold if I were to enter in that division. With rare exceptions, my runs have only been in our Monday Night Racing league where the pacesetter on my course is performing better than he did at the pacesetter trials. At the trials racing against AJ, I achieved Platinum by a comfortable margin. Pretty much all my other runs have been on a snowboard and even there I&#39;ve managed one Platinum but it doesn&#39;t factor into the ski calculations. I just did the math and I only need one run at an HC of 18.99 to get bumped to the higher class automatically. With enough Advil I hope to be able to do that at least once in the next two weeks. If that should occur, the decision won&#39;t have to be made. If it doesn&#39;t I&#39;m still inclined to take the bump if allowed.

Brings to mind one of my favorite quotes: <span style="font-family:Century Gothic">"When you&#39;re over the hill, you pick up speed" </span>[/b]
    Ok Pat, you go for it then, and I LOVE the quote! You&#39;d make an excellent coach!

+ Reply to Thread