+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Notes from the Midwest Open at Crystal Mountain

I am starting this folder so any of us who want to add notes to let the Forum know what's happening at the Midwest Open have a place to post. I will only have my BlackBerry with me, not a laptop, so my posts will not include pictures but I will upload shots when I get home. Hopefully the BlackBerry posts will work, one never knows with cell phone coverage......

Taking the next two days off from work and heading up to Crystal Mountain tomorrow. I am doing the group Race Clinic with AJ on Friday. We are excited we can drive to a big NASTAR event instead of flying. We have plenty of space in the car for all of my stuff, ChiTownDude does not ski so most of it is mine. Our hotel sounds great, with fireplace and kitchenette and looks like it is at the base of the hill right next to the Buck Quad lift. It's supposed to snow for the next few days....so we will be driving up in the snow as will everyone else. Temps are forecasted as 18 Friday and Saturday and 22 on Sunday, with snow Thurs, Fri, Sat.

Can't wait to see everyone and to have some fun at the Open! See ya all soon!

ChiTownChick :cool:

Crystal has pulled the NASTAR rate, something about the NASTAR Contract window closed and all rooms rates have been moved to transient rates (Makes sense)- so if you decide to register at the last minute or have not booked a room yet, expect room rates to be $170 to $200+ a night for what's left.

A very freindly agent apologized and explained I should have booked 2 weeks ago to get the NASTAR rate. I pointed out I didn't even decide to come until Monday of this week and that the NASTAR Website still says lodging deals are available.

I was able to get a $95 room in Buelah (10 miles away) at the Best Western - they still have rooms available

What I saved will pay for my lift tickets and my family will now eat breakfast and dinner off-site (And pack a lunch)

Not mad at NASTAR or Crystal, Policy is Policy, I should have committed and booked sooner, just wanted to give anyone thinking of going at the last minute a heads up.

I was able to get a $95 room in Buelah (10 miles away) at the Best Western - they still have rooms available[/b]
    Thanks for the heads up, Cinciracer. I still don't have accomodations, either (waiting to see if it's just me, or me+wife+dogs), but I'll definitely check that place out.

As an aside, are you a member of the Thursday night adult race league at Perfect North?

Anyway, if anybody wants to say hi at the open, I'll be the guy who looks like a rainbow - red helmet, orange boots, yellow skis, blue jacket...nothing green or purple, though.

We have arrived, checked in, had dinner at the Thistle and are ready to watch the football game. I booked last October so we have a nice place at the base of the Buck Quad. Went by Nastar central here and they were there but we can't check in till tomorrow. Bibs are same quality as Nationals.

The drive up in severe snow with unplowed roads was terrible andtook us all day but this resort is beautiful and worth the trip. I am excited about tomorrowks race clinic. The BlackBerry seems to be working ok.

Good luck Chase and Cinciracer the Quality Inn sounds like a good option. See you both soon!

ChiTownChick

I was lucky to have a brother in law with a three bedroom summer cottage in Beulah. He is letting me use it for the weekend. A bunch of money saved . See everyone on Sat. for the race.

As an aside, are you a member of the Thursday night adult race league at Perfect North?[/b]
    Yes, I do run in the thursday night league at P North - see you up there Jon -

Today was a GREAT day at the Open. I want to tell you all about two topics:
    1) The great race clinic
    2) What a wonderful hill Buck is, not the least bit scary, its a beautiful run.

I might have to post twice since I am using my BlackBerry.

The race clinic was really good. AJ Kitt is a very good teacher. We started with carved turns and moved on to starts, intensive timed drills at the start gate. Then we moved onto the tuck, we were timed doing tucks to see how fast we could go. They used a speed gun. I clocked in at 43mph! Then we we moved onto the Cheers Nastar course which is annoyingly flat, it was hards to get any speed at all and I did not do very well on that course. Then they set up a race course on Buck and we did gates on Buck all afternoon and were videotaped. Then we all met and AJ showed us racing tips on World Cup videos and then we watched videos of ourselves and he pointed out things.
    It was wonderful and the Crystal Mountain racing crew did an exceptional job, as did AJ. Those of you going to the Eastern Open should definitely consider taking the clinic if you can.
    This is getting too long so I will post again with my thoughts on Buck.

ChiTownChick

Now on to Buck. I am a silver/gold racer and had no trouble on Buck at all. It was not the least bit scary. I don't know why Dakine and others on this Forum made such a big deal over Buck. It is just like the Apache run at Chestnut but shorter. Apache is a blue intermediate run. I am looking forward to racing tomorrow and may end up with a higher than usual handicap, but will not be skidding or scared while I do it.

I certainly hope people did not pass on the Open because they were afraid of Buck. If so you really missed out on a wonderful event needlessly.

ChiTownChick

Now on to Buck. I am a silver/gold racer and had no trpuble on Buck at all. It was not the least bit scary. I don't know why Dakine and others on this Forum made such a big deal over Buck. It is just like the Apache run at Chestnut but shorter. Apache is a blue intermediate run. I am looking forward to racing tomorrow and may end up with a higher than usual handicap, but will not be skidding or scared while I do it.

I certainly hope people did not pass on the Open because they were afraid of Buck. If so you really missed out on a wonderful event needlessly.

ChiTownChick[/b]

Glad you're having a good time! That's my old stompin' grounds. The run to the far right (looking up), "Thor" was the race hill for high school and USSA. Not a great race hill.... a little short... but not bad otherwise.

I JUST got home from a full week of travel with a brand new job, so I'm not too excited to drive 6+ hours to Crystal, but I wish I could be there.

Tell Billy I said hi.
    OREDOCK BREWING COMPANY SKI BUMS
    http://ore-dock.com/

Wow, we have a perfect race day! There is not a cloud in the sky and we have brilliant sunshine, totally unmidwest like, I think I am in Colorado. Hope it holds till we race at 130 this afternoon.

The CM race crews are doing an exceptional job. Buck is perfectly groomed and even Cheers is making an attempt at looking muscular. It is a perfect day for racing!

Will post later and take pics to upload when I get home.

CTC

+ Reply to Thread