+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Nastar Open at Crystal Mountain

Never mind I found it. Looks about right to me. Jamie and Dave Samalik in high single digits and another guy I know Fred hunt at 20. Bob Mugan suprised me with a 10 though.
    An eye for an eye!

Crystal did a great job Monday at trials. If they do s well for the open, no one should be disappointed. (They did screw up the free continentle breakfast thing, but it happens,or in this case didn't and charged me $9) If you go, try the Thistle, food was great and I recommend the Shepards Pie with the wedge salad)

Ran Buck with a couple folks in this forum and I found it a challenging but fun hill. (It looks meaner then it is) Hadn't raced it since states in 86, smaller then i remember

I would think they would place the silver bronze over on cheers using either your end of season handicap from last year or resort ranking from this year if you ran a nastar race before you registered. The brackets could be heavy in the silver/bronze category

Nice thing about doing it this way, placed in a category based on how you ski that day is there can't really be a whole lot of sandbagging. Go all out, no idea exactly who you racing or where you stand and see where the cards fall...hmmm........tough way to go for $90, plus lift ticket, lodging and gas (And I have 3 racers in the family that want to go)

Ran some numbers and the average increase for pace setters at crystal that also ran nubs last year was 8 points, many doubled their handicap. Also, no one was ale to catch AJ this year. a couple came close, but only 13 pacesetters ran single digit handicaps in suits. (9 in coats)

Look out Midwest resorts, going to be some high national handicaps this year around here.

Racer X, Bittersweet great to see you again. Jamie, it was nice to meet you (you may have beat AJ if you used his atomic double decks), I seem to have missed Kankary though. Didnt realize you were there until the results were posted.[/b]
    I tried to catch up with you after my run... When you spotted me I was almost in the start gate so we couldn't talk much.... Good to meet you anyway, though.

Yeah, AJ was in NO DANGER from me this year!!! I really, really wish I was one of those guys that is just naturally really fast (like Wellsy...) I actually need to get a bunch of skiing in before I'm comfortable. Last season I already had more than 10 days in before trials. This year I felt like I was doing linked hockey stops down the course.....
    OREDOCK BREWING COMPANY SKI BUMS
    http://ore-dock.com/

IMO Jamie you still smoked things. I think if all of us had some more time on snow we might have done better. Still not enough to tame AJ on that hill. Jason had a really Bad day. I know he skis way better than I do and he was just plain off. I know he didn't plan to ski so I think that might of had something to do with it. AJ has years of skiing fast down runs that are 4 to 5 times as long. I'd say not much could touch him, maybe Dave S and Wellsy. I may consider showing up just for the fun of it and to keep the heat on in the kitchen. :shock: But no real treats from me. :grin:
    Sometimes the Dragon wins, So Be the Dragon.
    HOR356
    Powered by Blizzard skis, Marker bindings and Head boots
    Fueled by Knights in Shiny Armor, Raisin Bran Crunch and Gatorade

......... This year I felt like I was doing linked hockey stops down the course.....[/b]
    Good, accurate description of how I felt too. Definitely need more time on snow before trials next year. One day is not enough for these old legs. Need more time than that to get the muscle memory reloaded.
    If you win, but in so doing, lose the respect of your competitors, you've not won anything at all - Paul Elvestrom - 4 time Danish Olympic gold medalist in Sailing

My son and I are registered for the race. Hope there is a good turn out.

I had every intention on going as it's my home hill, until I found out we were racing on Buck. That makes me totally non-competitive and after last season's injury, doing that without major practice would just be stupid. So, I'm out. :mad:

Oh, and trying to find the cost of the session was a pain! Why did they make it so hard to find????? Grrr.....[/b]
    Volklgirl,

What's the problem with Buck? If I remember correctly you are a platinum racer.

How is your injury? Have you been able to rehab, is the hip still a problem?

BTW, I don't know if you caught it on another thread but I am using a pair of demo 2010 Volkl Fuegos with the new "bio-logic" system because my Firefoxes are still out of commission waiting for Nordica to send a new binding plate under the recall. The Fuegos are amazing, have you tried them? Don't mean to get off topic but since you are Volklgirl I was wondering what you thought of them. I am having a wonderful time on them.....have had three days of amazing skiing. Pure Heaven.

ChiTownChick :cool:

Does anyone know the deadline for registering for the Mid West Open? One family member can't make up his mind. (The others are already registered.)

Thanks!

Is there someone out there who is both familiar with Crystal Mt. and either of the Boynes who could compare the Buck race trail at Crystal with something of the same steepness at either Boyne Mountain or Boyne Highlands. I am trying to get a feel for what this race will be like.

Is there someone out there who is both familiar with Crystal Mt. and either of the Boynes who could compare the Buck race trail at Crystal with something of the same steepness at either Boyne Mountain or Boyne Highlands. I am trying to get a feel for what this race will be like.[/b]

Buck is similar to Aurora at the Mountain or South Challenger at the Highlands.
    OREDOCK BREWING COMPANY SKI BUMS
    http://ore-dock.com/

Or Smokey at Nubs.
    Unless you are a very young and strong GS racer you will be skidding to control your speed instead of carving to gain speed.
    Add some ruts and the chattering will be tough.
    AJ used long, 21m radius skis at the pacesetter trials on this hill.
    The hot setup for many will be very dampened slalom skis according to some USSA racers I know.
    Be interesting to see who shows.

+ Reply to Thread