+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Nastar Open at Crystal Mountain

Only Nastar HQ can say, but I was under the impression they were just going to assign us to Divisions based on how we raced that day since the break outs sound more like they are age based. Sounds out of the norm though, so it's a good question.

As far as the bronze/silver and gold/platinum goes, it's just like it used to be back in the day at Nationals where there were just two divisions: recreational and expert. I liked that system. I think they don't anticipate there will be enough participants the first year to justify four divisions. Sounds ok to me, makes sense.

Should be fun!

ChiTownChick :cool:

As per the Nastar Open Web Page:

<span style="font-family:Verdana Arial Helvetica sans-serif">The best handicap earned will determine each competitoré─˘s final result in their division Platinum/Gold or Silver/Bronze. Gold, Silver and Bronze medals will be presented to the first, second and third place finishers in each age & gender category in each division during Saturdayé─˘s awards ceremony. The top three in each age group and division will automatically qualify for the Nature Valley NASTAR National Championships. </span>

I drink, therefore I am!
    CRU145

If I read this correctly, they are putting Platinum and Golds together in one division, and putting silver and bronze together in one division.

This being the case, why would anyone who is a gold or bronze level skier sign up, as you will be at a competitive disadvantage vs the Platinum or silver skiers in your age group.

Someone tell me the error of my thinking here, as it seems like an awful lot of money for a gold or bronze level racer to spend for two runs with little chance of placing if a number of silver or platinum racers show up within an age group.

Am I missing something?
    If you win, but in so doing, lose the respect of your competitors, you've not won anything at all - Paul Elvestrom - 4 time Danish Olympic gold medalist in Sailing

Bill Madsen said during pacestter trials that they will be running the bronze and silvers on Cheers, and the Golds and Platinums on Buck for the NASTAR open.
    <span style="font-family:Verdana Arial Helvetica sans-serif"><span style="font-family:Franklin Gothic Medium">
    "The course that you will compete on for Saturday&#39;s race will be included in your welcome packet."

If that is the case they will have already put each age and gender of competitors into either P/G or B/S divisions AND determined whether we will be racing on Buck in P/G, or on Cheers in S/B. So where do they get that handicap for division, and thus the racecourse, placement? I assumed it would be from this seasons race results prior to the Open.

</span></span>

You would think they would have had you race at least once this season to qualify. Not that you have to finish 1, 2, or 3 at a resort like at Nationals, but that you just have to race so they know where to place you. But I guess that would open up a can of sandbagging worms...

It looks like the Open is very far from perfect right now. I&#39;m sure that after this year, adjustments will be made.

RacerX, I had the exact same thoughts. Why go if you are a Gold or Bronze? The answer for me (as a Gold) is to participate in something that, I for one, have been lobbying for for a couple of years. I&#39;m sure Nationals is quite different now then what it was like when it first started. Right now, I think the Opens just need support and numbers. I am confident that HQ will hear our suggestions for next year. :wink: If enough show, they will probably be more likely to divide everyone up next year.
    I drink, therefore I am!
    CRU145

I think it&#39;s all about numbers, as Nationals grew bigger and more people attended, it made sense to break out the four divisions. When you have a smaller number, like the Open, two divisions are fine. Even with only two divisions if you have so few racers, most will win medals.

I agree with Putterman, it&#39;s most important to support the effort to get the Opens off the ground and I bet they grow each year. I think the Eastern Open will be much better attended than last year...and will grow each year. And the Midwest will most likely be small because its the first year but will grow each year thereafter.

CTC :cool:

I agree with CTC and Putterman.

I&#39;ve free-skied down both of the courses that Crystal will use for the Open just fine before, but they&#39;re steeper than an average NASTAR course and I&#39;m a bit apprehensive about my ability to turn gates on them at this point. To be honest, a large % of why I&#39;m going to the 2010 Open is because I want to do my part to ensure there is a 2011 Open held in the midwest, in hopes that at that time I might be a bit more competitive. But as for 2010, it&#39;s very possible that I may be paying $89 just to have a large number of people see me fall.

I had every intention on going as it&#39;s my home hill, until I found out we were racing on Buck. That makes me totally non-competitive and after last season&#39;s injury, doing that without major practice would just be stupid. So, I&#39;m out. :mad:

Oh, and trying to find the cost of the session was a pain! Why did they make it so hard to find????? Grrr.....
    Stupidity should be painful!

Real ripper chix hang out here:
    The Ski Diva

Crystal did a great job Monday at trials. If they do s well for the open, no one should be disappointed. (They did screw up the free continentle breakfast thing, but it happens,or in this case didn&#39;t and charged me $9) If you go, try the Thistle, food was great and I recommend the Shepards Pie with the wedge salad)

Ran Buck with a couple folks in this forum and I found it a challenging but fun hill. (It looks meaner then it is) Hadn&#39;t raced it since states in 86, smaller then i remember

I would think they would place the silver bronze over on cheers using either your end of season handicap from last year or resort ranking from this year if you ran a nastar race before you registered. The brackets could be heavy in the silver/bronze category

Nice thing about doing it this way, placed in a category based on how you ski that day is there can&#39;t really be a whole lot of sandbagging. Go all out, no idea exactly who you racing or where you stand and see where the cards fall...hmmm........tough way to go for $90, plus lift ticket, lodging and gas (And I have 3 racers in the family that want to go)

Ran some numbers and the average increase for pace setters at crystal that also ran nubs last year was 8 points, many doubled their handicap. Also, no one was ale to catch AJ this year. a couple came close, but only 13 pacesetters ran single digit handicaps in suits. (9 in coats)

Look out Midwest resorts, going to be some high national handicaps this year around here.

Racer X, Bittersweet great to see you again. Jamie, it was nice to meet you (you may have beat AJ if you used his atomic double decks), I seem to have missed Kankary though. Didnt realize you were there until the results were posted.

Russ - I hope your Colts won, you missed a fun day. Will look for you at the Jan 2/3 OVSC race @ P North

Post a link to the results page
    An eye for an eye!

+ Reply to Thread