+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Nastar Open

Anyone know why the Midwest is so early? Jan 9-10? I'll barely have the dust off my skis by then (at least the way this winter is starting out).
    - Allen

You are a unique person, just like everybody else! - Warren Miller

Thanks Alaska Mike and DRoss for the "cold weather" advice. I have gotten pretty good at layering under coats, however, being a "non racer" I never know what to put on them under their speed suits. Like you Alaska Mike, they are very thin and have room under their suits, they complain of layers bunching if I give them too many layers, not the tightness. I will try under armour. Is the fleece comfortable under the speed suit? I also bought one of them the spyder zip off training shorts. The other one really wanted the zip off pants, I waited too long and they could not find them in a decent price range in her size. At least one family member or friend is around to ski the coats down.

Have a great race season![/b]
    Remember now today not all fleece are the same. They have the traditional heavy fleece tops- like you see at EMS and North Face- big and not very good for under the suit unless you size up one or 2 extra sizes and the suit is baggy on you. I have done it on really cold days before though. I have a thin very light fleece - I think I got it at Sam's Club of all places and use that more and more. Sort of like the heavy Hot Chilly tops or any of the newer athletic tops out there by a bunch of companies for running, cross country skiing and the like. Sometimes I'll go with a sweatshirt under it instead. Just grab the sleeves when sticking your arms into it. Also if you do not have someone to take coats down- where an extra lighterweight jacket- or stick it in a backpack, ski down the inspection or while warming up and leave it at the bottom finish area. Put it on for the 1st run and wear it up the lift. Then get into your winter ski jacket and warm up as much as you can before the 2nd run.

Last month I bought a brand new Spyder speedsuit (black and pink) that is now hanging in my closet serving as my incentive to continue to lose weight.

I look at it daily when I want to go off my diet. :cool:[/b]
    Thats a great idea. I'm getting mine out when I get home
    Go hard or get outta my way.

-moved to correct topic.

Finally getting things together for the season and few things are working out NASTAR-wise. Sunday River balked and won't be a participating NASTAR mountain. High hopes and promises after hosting the EC Open last year, but in the end ... nada. Shawnee is the only Maine mountain participating in NASTAR, and only on "select" weekends. Looking at that and other options closer to home in MA, including Loon and Wachussett.

I need practice to get this gate thing down. Showed up at nationals last season with only the Open under my belt and found out that two passes through gates doesn't make one competitive. Didn't really expect to be, but hey ... at least no DNFs. Guess that means I wasn't trying hard enough. :mrgreen:

Just realized the Windham Open date conflicts with my volunteer commitment for the annual Veterans without Boundaries program at Maine Handicapped Skiing. Can't miss that. So have some hurdles to overcome to get rolling with NASTAR ....

Good luck to all this season! Hope to see you all again soon.

Hey Mark, nice to hear from you. Wish Sunday River was a NASTAR resort....sorry to hear that. I think Loon and Wachusett are big time NASTAR mountains so you should be able to race there.

Even if you can't make the Eastern Open, there is always Nationals. Good luck with your volunteer work.

ChiTownChick (Judy) :cool:

Hello CTC!!

Sounds like you're ready to get back in the saddle and rock your way back to Nationals again. Steamboat was a great time for sure - so nice to meet you and the "forum gang". With a lot of luck, maybe I will qualify again.

Wachusett is a big NASTAR/night league mountain - not familiar with Loon's NASTAR hill, but Loon is a sister mountain of SR and included on my season pass. Neither are convenient for regular participation unfortunately.

I see you registered for the Midwest Open - enjoy and knock 'em dead!!

Best, Mark

Hey Mark, nice to hear from you. Wish Sunday River was a NASTAR resort....sorry to hear that. I think Loon and Wachusett are big time NASTAR mountains so you should be able to race there.

Even if you can't make the Eastern Open, there is always Nationals. Good luck with your volunteer work.

ChiTownChick (Judy) :cool:[/b]

+ Reply to Thread