+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Two NASTAR Open regional events this year!

Very exciting news. Congrats to Crystal Mtn. for getting the venue. Seems a bit pricey, is the lift ticket included? Anyway I will be there with my 10 year old son. Should be a great experince for him.

Chase your map is excellent and the information is great. I am surprised that Illinois had 689 qualifiers...that's a lot from a state with only one ski resort, Chestnut Mountain. It shows that Illinois skiers travel a lot and support NASTAR at resorts all over the country.

I wish NASTAR HQ would post something official about the Opens....usually they have discounts in lodging for these types of events. So I don't want to book our room until I see what deals they have.

The registration fee is always reasonable and I think participants get their money's worth. At least at Nationals that is the case and I am sure its the same with the Opens this year. Whatever the registration fee is I will be happy to pay it, NASTAR always does an excellent job and I really appreciate them taking us midwesterners into consideration when planning the Opens this year.

ChiTownChick :cool:

I went ahead and booked our room at Crystal Mountain. FYI, they are having a special deal right now that if you book 2 nights you get a third night free, so the lodging rates are reasonable. They were very nice and said that they did not have the NASTAR Open rates yet, but if they were lower than the special offer they currently have they would adjust the price. They knew all about the Open though, and seemed excited about it. I think its kind of strange there is no information on Nastar.com yet!

So if you book now they have 3 nights for the price of 2 at Crystal Mountain.

ChiTownChick :cool:

The entry fee for the Opens will be $89 for adults and $69 for kids 12 and younger.

Information on the events will be posted online soon.
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room"
    "When you're over the hill, you pick up speed!"
    NASTAR# MOO95 Ski Race Record
    NASTAR# MOO2023 Snowboard Race Record

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com
    pat-moore.artistwebsites.com

The entry fee for the Opens will be $89 for adults and $69 for kids 12 and younger.[/b]
    Nice! That's a lot more manageable than the $125-150 that was originally being discussed. Even though I'm just a silver division racer, I think I'll go. I'm anxious to hear whether they'll use their regular NASTAR course, or set up on a different hill for the Open.

Also, I'm still working on tables #2 and 3...just had some other commitments come up.

I see NASTAR has posted the information about the races on their home page. There is still no news as to when the registartion starts and how many racers will be allowed. This should be a great time and I am looking forward to meeting new faces.

I see NASTAR has posted the information about the races on their home page. There is still no news as to when the registartion starts and how many racers will be allowed. This should be a great time and I am looking forward to meeting new faces.[/b]
    If you click on "NASTAR Open" along the left edge of the main page, there is a bit more info there than on the main page itself. It says 400 racers will be allowed...although the section at the bottom still refers to last year's event.

Does anyone know if they will periodically post how many registrants there are so far? I want to take my time in registering, but not so much that I miss out.

Quote Originally Posted by offthecouch View Post
    I realize Macc and Cussa is not Nastars target market but I know those racers would like the opportunity to race against new people, especially those names that they see close to theirs in state or national rankings. Chitownchick, do not wait to make reservations. There is limited resort lodgings at Crystal Mt. Otherwise you have to drive the 15-20 miles to the resort town of Frankfort or all the way to Traverse City, which if I recall correctly is about 45 minutes.Pat Moore, where did you get this info? I have not seen it posted anywhere else. I am curious what the registration fee will be.
    I found this oldy but goody......looks like Someone was once in favor of accomplished over trained persons participating in Nastar eventsJust wanted to share

Quote Originally Posted by offthecouch View Post
    Good location, bad weekend. Top adult racers from Michigan,Indiana and Ohio will be at the Macc race weekend at Boyne Mountain and kid racers from the area will be at the CUSSA race at Boyne Highlands.
    Found another oldie but goody.......I bet either now or at some point, many of them spend or spent over a grand a year on racing....especially the MACC racers from SE Michigan and the CUSSA kids that couldn't make that open.....(begin sarcasm) I can't believe the author above would suggest a CUSSA or MACC racer would consider coming to the recreational open race (end sarcasm)the top of that men's ROC podium was a 14 year old OVSC club racer from Cincinnati. I should have left him at home as he was obviously over qualified and a sand bagger The women's champ was an over 30 OVSC club racer from central Indiana.....as was 3rd on the men's podium.Both friends of mine that are serious racers, invest heavily in their skiing and training and compete in nationals.......your right OTC, we should exclude, Anyone that is even remotely not a recreational skier.

That is good. Did you dig up my credit score and my audition tape for Wheel of Fortune also? There is one big difference from when I wrote those. And that is the trip to Chile. The make up of the attendees at Nationals changed from happy go lucky recreational racers to some with an agenda to win the ROC. I tried to explain those people as lacking ethics. Since many here obviously don't know what ethics are I then tried to explain it in dollars which most people think they understand. I guess I failed.
    PS: I do not care about 30 somethings or older going to Nationals or how good or bad they are or how much money they spend on training. This is all about the kids.
    I saw something that I thought was a bad trend towards true recreational kids shying away from wanting to go to Nationals due to unfair competition. Pardon me for trying to protect the integrity of "recreational" racing.
    My work here is done.

+ Reply to Thread