+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Two NASTAR Open regional events this year!

The speculation is over....

Nature Valley NASTAR Open:

The Nature Valley NASTAR Open has expanded this year to include a Midwest event and an Eastern event. The Opens utilize the same basic structure as the National Championships with race clinics, parties, concerts and races for age and ability groups. Participants that win their age and ability group will be invited to race on Sunday in the Race of Champions for overall titles.

Crystal Mountain, MI Jan. 9 & 10

Windham Mountain, NY Feb. 6 & 7
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room"
    "When you're over the hill, you pick up speed!"
    NASTAR# MOO95 Ski Race Record
    NASTAR# MOO2023 Snowboard Race Record

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com
    pat-moore.artistwebsites.com

Terrific decision. Crystal has nice lodging, a couple resturants, and a great conferance center. It is farther south making it more accessable. Yet, it is far enough north that those with houses/cabins/condos farther north can also make it as a day trip if they would like to.

Anyone know what runs they will use? Hopefully, they will have the Gold/plat on Buck rather than Cheers.

We will be there!

Good choice. Crystal is a first class organization and will put on a great event.

The midwest is a tough place to find a central location. Lake Michigan really divides things. There are a ton of ski racers in Michigan, and a ton in Minnesota. A few less in Illinois and Wisconsin. And then the rest made up of Ohio, Indiana and Iowa.

My guess is no one from Minnesota or Wisconsin will travel to Crystal. Conversely, if it were held in Wisconsin or Minnesota, no one from the Lower Peninsula of Michigan would have traveled to that either.

They probably went with the spot where they thought they would get the most participation, and they are probably right.
    OREDOCK BREWING COMPANY SKI BUMS
    http://ore-dock.com/

Sounds like fun. There are a lot of skiers from Iowa and Missouri too in the midwest, they come up to Chestnut. I think Crystal Mountain is a good place to start and I will try to make it to support the cause and see if we can get lots of racers at the Midwest Open.....hmmm....maybe we should have a competition to see if we get more racers then the Eastern Open.....go Midwest!

I will book our reservations once I get more info.

ChiTownChick :cool:

Good location, bad weekend. Top adult racers from Michigan,Indiana and Ohio will be at the Macc race weekend at Boyne Mountain and kid racers from the area will be at the CUSSA race at Boyne Highlands.

Good location, bad weekend. Top adult racers from Michigan,Indiana and Ohio will be at the Macc race weekend at Boyne Mountain and kid racers from the area will be at the CUSSA race at Boyne Highlands.[/b]
    Every weekend has events in Michigan. Do you think MACC and USSA racers are the target audience for this event? It will turn out fine.
    OREDOCK BREWING COMPANY SKI BUMS
    http://ore-dock.com/

I agree with Jamie, there are no good weekends in January and February at midwest ski resorts - there are always races and activities every weekend. So you just have to choose one and hope for the best. I noticed that Chestnut Mountain is hosting the WIJARA (Wisconsin Junior Alpine Racing Association) race that weekend, which keeps a lot of young racers from Wisconsin, Illinois and Iowa at Chestnut. But WIJARA racers don't all race NASTAR anyway and not many would have probably driven all the way to Crystal Mountain, thats a long drive from the Illinois/Iowa/Wisconsin corner.

I think this event will work out very well at Crystal Mountain. If all the best Michigan racers will be at Boyne then maybe I won't come in last place! Ha!

ChiTownDude is on board for the trip to Crystal Mountain so we are all set. As soon as they get the registration information and hotel information posted we will book it.

ChiTownChick :cool:

I guess I'm a bit late for this since the location has already been decided, but I created a map that shows the geographic concentration of 2009 Nationals qualifiers:

http://maker.geocommons.com/maps/9248

Dark blue = 0-12 qualifiers from this city
    Light blue = 12-25
    White = 25-38
    Light red = 38-50
    Dark red = 50+

Based on that, I think they should just build a ski hill smack in the middle of Lake Michigan, and have the race there ;)

I hope I didn't step on any nastar.com toes by doing this data mining exercise. If so, someone please let me know and I will delete this map.

I realize Macc and Cussa is not Nastars target market but I know those racers would like the opportunity to race against new people, especially those names that they see close to theirs in state or national rankings.
    Chitownchick, do not wait to make reservations. There is limited resort lodgings at Crystal Mt. Otherwise you have to drive the 15-20 miles to the resort town of Frankfort or all the way to Traverse City, which if I recall correctly is about 45 minutes.
    Pat Moore, where did you get this info? I have not seen it posted anywhere else. I am curious what the registration fee will be.

Pat Moore, where did you get this info? I have not seen it posted anywhere else. I am curious what the registration fee will be.[/b]
    The announcement was part of a pacesetter e-newsletter. As far as the format and registration go, I'm guessing last year's format from Sunday River would be followed but that's pure speculation. I wasn't able to attend the event and I don't recall the cost but believe it was in the $125-$150 range. Maybe someone who attended can recall.

I'm going to try to arrange my schedule so I can attend the event at Windham.

I guess I'm a bit late for this since the location has already been decided, but I created a map that shows the geographic concentration of 2009 Nationals qualifiers:

http://maker.geocommons.com/maps/9248[/b]
    Chase, that's impressive research. Interesting dispersion. I've done some data mapping with MapPoint 2002 but I'd have to relearn how to do it. I really like the application you used.
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room"
    "When you're over the hill, you pick up speed!"
    NASTAR# MOO95 Ski Race Record
    NASTAR# MOO2023 Snowboard Race Record

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com
    pat-moore.artistwebsites.com

+ Reply to Thread