+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Two NASTAR Open regional events this year!

Terrific! My vote is for Michigan (lower Michigan, not the UP). I think Michigan would be a great place because....greatest number of Nastar racers per year in the mid-west, it is not typically as cold as Minnisota, depending on the date Indiana and Ohio could be a weather risk. Michigan can be risky because of the weather also, but you have better odds. I think they would have a pretty good turn out in Michigan if they advertise it correctly.

Wherever it is...Very Cool.

I would have to agree that lower Michigan would be the best place for the race. While I might be biased I think that Nubs Nob would be a great choice. We have a great hill named Valley that would be perfect for the race. The hill is a blue but is steeper and about a 5 sec. longer run than the Nastar hill. Many of the speed series races, the Dorie Sarnes Open.the Dynastar Challenge. and the K2 duals are held on this hill. I spoke with the GM at Nubs and he is in contact with Bill Madsen. Plus with Petoskey and Harbor Springs close by there would be plenty of hotels and restaurants nearby to accomodate a large crowd of racers. I would love to see this happen.

I would have to agree that lower Michigan would be the best place for the race. While I might be biased I think that Nubs Nob would be a great choice. We have a great hill named Valley that would be perfect for the race. The hill is a blue but is steeper and about a 5 sec. longer run than the Nastar hill. Many of the speed series races, the Dorie Sarnes Open.the Dynastar Challenge. and the K2 duals are held on this hill. I spoke with the GM at Nubs and he is in contact with Bill Madsen. Plus with Petoskey and Harbor Springs close by there would be plenty of hotels and restaurants nearby to accomodate a large crowd of racers. I would love to see this happen.[/b]
    I would have to totally disagree with you.
    I would rather see it at Marquette. I would rather drive the 7 hours to Marquette than the 3.5 hours to Nubs. Better Nastar run, better hill and better racers. If it isn't going to be run on the resorts NASTAR hill then Marquette has hands down the best race run in Michigan. While Nubs is a decent hill it is no Marquette Mountain. Marquette Nastar is also more race friendly. I also think that a better place to hold it would be at Boyne on Superbowl if holding in Lower Michigan.

This is the list of best race runs in Michigan IMHO.

Cliffs Ridge-MQT
    FIS Racing trail- Indianhead
    Freya-Norway Mountain
    Hemlock- Boyne Mountain
    Scarface-Nubs

</span></span></span></span></span></span>

I think the main determining factor will be which resort WANTS to hold this event....

Marquette Mountain is a great venue, but I can tell you, we have a race event nearly every single weekend of the entire season. Regular USSA races including Mid-Ams, The Midwest Masters National Qualifier race is here every year, Chicago Metropolitan Ski Council comes up once a year, USCSA College Regionals is here most years..... There just aren&#39;t many openings.

Nubs is a great place, as is Boyne, but as far as being centrally located in the Midwest? I don&#39;t think so..... That big ass lake gets in the way of anyone to the West of the Lower Peninsula. Michigan has tons of Nastar Racers, but so does Wisconsin and Minnesota, and I doubt they would drive to Petoskey. Chicago people could go either way, really...

Chestnut is actually not a bad suggestion, although I doubt you would get any of the die hards from northern lower Michigan. That would be a long haul.

OREDOCK BREWING COMPANY SKI BUMS
    http://ore-dock.com/

Kansnarky 2 is showing his bias against Nubs Nob. Let&#39;s remember he drove 4 hours to race there in the late spring without bothering to find out if there was a race scheduled, what time the race was, or how to register and then ended up having a bad experience. I remember his whining on this site about it vividly.

Kansnarky 2 is showing his bias against Nubs Nob. Let&#39;s remember he drove 4 hours to race there in the late spring without bothering to find out if there was a race scheduled, what time the race was, or how to register and then ended up having a bad experience. I remember his whining on this site about it vividly.[/b]

I believe you need to go and reread the thread posted. I knew there was a race scheduled(I called 3 days before), I knew what time the race was run. The only thing that was an issue was the stupid way you have to pre-register for NASTAR.

and by the way its KANAKRY.

With that said there are better options than Nubs.

I know dude. It is totally such a bummer to have to give them your name and $6 before you actually go down the course.

I noticed from Kansnarky&#39;s race record that the only Northern Michigan Nastar race he has run was at Marquette one weekend. That qualifies him for identifying the best resort in the Midwest to hold a big race.

I&#39;m afraid they mean west of lake michigan when they say midwest (just like the Midwest masters seem to think)

SE Lower Michigan even works for us OVSC racers (4 to 6 hour drive)
    But, Valley at Nubs is good and appeals to all levels of racers, (isn&#39;t the open a single hill event?),
    I took 3 trips up there last year to race in speedseries and the MACC races. Was never able to talk anyone else into going with (8 hour drive in good weather)

FIS at Boyne is solid, but I wouldn&#39;t want my under 7 racers running it just yet, but my J3&#39;s would love it

If you look at calendars, all the good hills that would really appeal to most in this forum, have events most every weekend, CCUSA, USSA, MACC, OVSC etc etc

So SE Michigan may be a great fit all the way around. Light travel times, lots of population, lots of empty hotel rooms, easy access for those crazy enouogh to actually fly in to detroit.

I hate to say this outloud, but Alpine valley has a reasonable hill out back I ran a beer league on 20 years ago. Kind of tight at the top if I remember correctly, so they would probably have to move the start down a bit. Mt Holly had a run named after a clint eastwood movie or somthing that i ran 25 years ago. Mt brighton well, I guess you could do it there.

Oh well, if its close me and the kids will go - see you there

I know dude. It is totally such a bummer to have to give them your name and $6 before you actually go down the course.

I noticed from Kansnarky&#39;s race record that the only Northern Michigan Nastar race he has run was at Marquette one weekend. That qualifies him for identifying the best resort in the Midwest to hold a big race.[/b]

That&#39;s interesting to say the least. I forgot I only run Nastar. :roll:

Ok, let&#39;s get back on topic and keep old resentments at bay. Heck, its gonna snow soon so we should all be in a good mood.

I checked Nubs Nob and its so far north in Michigan - too far I would say. Its 381 miles from Chicago and Mapquest has it at 6 hours 41 minutes to drive (the way I drive that&#39;s that&#39;s 5 hours). I would say that&#39;s bad enough for Chicago but what about skiers in Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, parts of Wisconsin, Indiana, Ohio......its really too far if you ask me. Heck, I would start driving up there and hit Kalamazoo, start thinking about sweet little Bittersweet and BSR and Mature 1 and would never make it up to Nubs. I&#39;d be skiing Bittersweet.

I think Chestnut Mountain is the most centrally located but they may have to do it in future years, they seem to have some big event every weekend so they are probably booked too. I know its my home resort so I am biased but its a wonderful place to ski and the snow is terrific, when Mother Nature does not produce the snowmaking they have at Chestnut is amazing.

I wish it were the end of November.....

ChiTownChick :cool:

+ Reply to Thread