+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Poll: Where does this road lead?

All,

I've been a once-a-year skiier for 20 years (I'm 32 now). I tried NASTAR for the first time in 2008, and currently have four race days, which I absolutely loved. I can feel myself possibly nearing "the point of no return" of this becoming a new addiction. I'm starting to think about new skis, a night league, possibly a speed suit in a year or two, etc.
    But, before I completely jump in with both feet, I'd like to ask some questions of people who have been doing this for a long time, if you don't mind. I certainly understand that everyone's experience is different, and therefore I shouldn't expect things to go for me exactly the same as they've gone for you. But, if you wouldn't mind answering some or all of the following, I'd really appreciate it:

1) How long have you been racing?
    2) Do/did you do non-NASTAR races? What kinds and how often?
    3) How much money would you say you've put into racing, total? (or per year)
    4) About how many days per year do you race? What about non-racing ski days?
    5) What is your next racing goal (i.e. mastery of a technique, beating someone else's time, etc.)?
    6) About how long (# of race days, or years, or whatever) did it take you to progress from bronze to silver, from silver to gold, and from gold to platinum?
    7) How far do you ultimately see yourself going in this? Obviously most of us here are too old to hope to be in the Olympics in the future or anything like that, so what is it that you want out of NASTAR?
    8 ) If you have spouse/significant other/kids, do they ski? Do they race?
    8A) If they aren't skiers, do you travel alone? Or do they come along and do non-skiing activities? Or do you just not travel to ski?
    9) How long does it take you to drive to the place where you race/ski most often? Or do you only race/ski at places you fly to?

Thanks very much for any and all answers!
    -Jon

I'll jump in on this.

1) How long have you been racing? 13 years off and on. Constantly with in the last 5 years

2) Do/did you do non-NASTAR races? What kinds and how often? Two to three times a week I do non-Nastar races

3) How much money would you say you've put into racing, total? (or per year). About $1500. It depends some years it's less

4) About how many days per year do you race? What about non-racing ski days? I race about 30-50 days. I ski about 90

5) What is your next racing goal (i.e. mastery of a technique, beating someone else's time, etc.)? Just get stronger and more confident on the steeps.

6) About how long (# of race days, or years, or whatever) did it take you to progress from bronze to silver, from silver to gold, and from gold to platinum? I'd say 3 seasons/years to reach Gold from Bronze

7) How far do you ultimately see yourself going in this? Obviously most of us here are too old to hope to be in the Olympics in the future or anything like that, so what is it that you want out of NASTAR? Don't know

8 ) If you have spouse/significant other/kids, do they ski? Do they race? Daughter ski's and races here and there. Son Snowboards.

8A) If they aren't skiers, do you travel alone? Or do they come along and do non-skiing activities? Or do you just not travel to ski? I travel with my kids when I can other than that I go solo

9) How long does it take you to drive to the place where you race/ski most often? Or do you only race/ski at places you fly to? 35 minutes and 3 plus hours to other local places.

BSR
    Sometimes the Dragon wins, So Be the Dragon.
    HOR356
    Powered by Blizzard skis, Marker bindings and Head boots
    Fueled by Knights in Shiny Armor, Raisin Bran Crunch and Gatorade

1) How long have you been racing? 17 years
    2) Do/did you do non-NASTAR races? What kinds and how often? Yes about 10-15 a season
    3) How much money would you say you've put into racing, total? (or per year) LOL We'll I bought 6 pairs of Race ski's this year. Maybe $5000
    4) About how many days per year do you race? What about non-racing ski days? Including nastar? About 50 days, maybe 10 non race days
    5) What is your next racing goal (i.e. mastery of a technique, beating someone else's time, etc.)? Stay forward all the time, I tend to get in the back seat often. Move into the Top 5 in our beer league currently 7-9th
    6) About how long (# of race days, or years, or whatever) did it take you to progress from bronze to silver, from silver to gold, and from gold to platinum? I was a gold last year. Platinum this year. Grew up racing in the UP of Michigan didn't race nastar until 2007
    7) How far do you ultimately see yourself going in this? Obviously most of us here are too old to hope to be in the Olympics in the future or anything like that, so what is it that you want out of NASTAR? Beat Jamie Close in a non-nastar race
    8 ) If you have spouse/significant other/kids, do they ski? Do they race? My Fiance is an average nastar racer. :shock: :smile: http://www.nastar.com/index.jsp?page...&compid=688300

8A) If they aren't skiers, do you travel alone? Or do they come along and do non-skiing activities? Or do you just not travel to ski?
    9) How long does it take you to drive to the place where you race/ski most often? Or do you only race/ski at places you fly to? About 15 mins. We spent our winters there pretty much

</span></span></span></span></span></span>

1) How long have you been racing?about 5 years

2) Do/did you do non-NASTAR races? What kinds and how often?I started with NASTAR and have since competed in 4 years of high school racing as well as 2 years of a Buddy Werner league.

3) How much money would you say you&#39;ve put into racing, total? (or per year)This would more be a question for my dad, he ends up paying for the gear, waxes, teams etc.

4) About how many days per year do you race? What about non-racing ski days?I race about 25 days a year. I&#39;ll try to get some free-skiing days in with my dad, but a lot of the days I&#39;m not racing I&#39;m training with one of my teams.

5) What is your next racing goal (i.e. mastery of a technique, beating someone else&#39;s time, etc.)?My next goal will be to qualify for USCSA nationals, as well as getting a Platinum or winning at Gold in the Gold division at NASTAR Nationals.

6) About how long (# of race days, or years, or whatever) did it take you to progress from bronze to silver, from silver to gold, and from gold to platinum?It took my about a year to go from bronze to silver and about 2 years from silver to gold. I haven&#39;t gotten a platinum yet though.

7) How far do you ultimately see yourself going in this? Obviously most of us here are too old to hope to be in the Olympics in the future or anything like that, so what is it that you want out of NASTAR?It looks like I&#39;ll be joining a USCSA team next year when I head off to college. After that maybe Masters.

8 ) If you have spouse/significant other/kids, do they ski? Do they race?My sister races some NASTAR as well as Buddy Werner.
    8A) If they aren&#39;t skiers, do you travel alone? Or do they come along and do non-skiing activities? Or do you just not travel to ski?My whole family skis, and we try to go on most of our trips together.

9) How long does it take you to drive to the place where you race/ski most often? Or do you only race/ski at places you fly to?Most of my high school and Buddy Werner races and practices are a 10 minute drive away, but for NASTAR and most other skiing I will drive 2.5-3 hours with an occasional plane trip out west.

1) How long have you been racing? 2 ski seasons, I&#39;m still a newbie!
    2) Do/did you do non-NASTAR races? What kinds and how often? weeknight league 8 nights
    3) How much money would you say you&#39;ve put into racing, total? (or per year) $3000 mostly traveling expenses this year, but last year it was equipment upgrades
    4) About how many days per year do you race? What about non-racing ski days? 30 race days, 20+ freeski only days
    5) What is your next racing goal (i.e. mastery of a technique, beating someone else&#39;s time, etc.)? continued technique and race skills, I&#39;m getting to be ok at the easier family courses but need more skill work and coaching on the technical harder course sets; still climbing up the learning curve!
    6) About how long (# of race days, or years, or whatever) did it take you to progress from bronze to silver, from silver to gold, and from gold to platinum? Started in silver last year, was in gold by end of season, started in gold this year, was in platinum by year end. I have been sking on and off for 40 years. Now the real work begins since I have to drop time by strong technique and not good skis, boots, racesuit, or wax!
    7) How far do you ultimately see yourself going in this? Obviously most of us here are too old to hope to be in the Olympics in the future or anything like that, so what is it that you want out of NASTAR? I&#39;d like to get much better and still be racing in my late fifties early sixties, assuming the knees hold out :-(, which sometimes is a real problem for me.
    8 ) If you have spouse/significant other/kids, do they ski? Do they race? Husband does not ski much, both kids ski/snowboard very well and also race.
    8A) If they aren&#39;t skiers, do you travel alone? Sometimes, but usually have at least one teen, friend, or relative, with me. Or do they come along and do non-skiing activities? Husband skis some days and does other things on other days. Or do you just not travel to ski? We travel within the state a lot, (8 resorts this year), and out west about once a year.
    9) How long does it take you to drive to the place where you race/ski most often? 45 min. for weeknight leagues, and 4 hours for most weekends and for my son&#39;s USASA snowboarding events. Or do you only race/ski at places you fly to? I try to get some racing in everywhere we go. :wink:

1) How long have you been racing? 2 years recently & 5 years back in the 80&#39;s-90&#39;s
    2) Do/did you do non-NASTAR races? Not anymore What kinds and how often? Masters 2x per yr & night leagues
    3) How much money would you say you&#39;ve put into racing, total? (or per year) $200 this yr. not incl Kids
    4) About how many days per year do you race? 15 What about non-racing ski days? 30
    5) What is your next racing goal (i.e. mastery of a technique, beating someone else&#39;s time, etc.)? Continue to have fun
    6) About how long (# of race days, or years, or whatever) did it take you to progress from bronze to silver, NA from silver to gold NA, and from gold to platinum 1 year
    7) How far do you ultimately see yourself going in this? As long as I can Obviously most of us here are too old to hope to be in the Olympics in the future or anything like that, so what is it that you want out of NASTAR? A fun hobby
    8 ) If you have spouse/significant other/kids, do they ski? Do they race? Two of the kids race on a Team
    8A) If they aren&#39;t skiers, do you travel alone? Or do they come along and do non-skiing activities? Or do you just not travel to ski?
    9) How long does it take you to drive to the place where you race/ski most often? 2 hours do you only race/ski at places you fly to?

Thanks very much for any and all answers!
    -Jon
    [/quote]
    [url="http://www.beavercreekwest.com"]Vail Valley Value

1) How long have you been racing? 5 Years
    2) Do/did you do non-NASTAR races? What kinds and how often? 3 Non-Nastar Races
    3) How much money would you say you&#39;ve put into racing, total? (or per year) About $2000 per year on equipment, Nastar fees, and lift tickets, plus 1500 this year for a trip
    4) About how many days per year do you race? What about non-racing ski days? Ski about 45 days a year in total of which 30 days were race days.. Most days I race, I try to free ski at least one or two hours.
    5) What is your next racing goal (i.e. mastery of a technique, beating someone else&#39;s time, etc.)? Get better on steep, hard packed courses
    6) About how long (# of race days, or years, or whatever) did it take you to progress from bronze to silver, from silver to gold, and from gold to platinum? 2 years to move consistently to silver, 2 more years to get an occasional gold
    7) How far do you ultimately see yourself going in this? Obviously most of us here are too old to hope to be in the Olympics in the future or anything like that, so what is it that you want out of NASTAR? just keep getting better
    8 ) If you have spouse/significant other/kids, do they ski? Do they race? Wife and kids ski, kids occasionally will do Nastar
    8A) If they aren&#39;t skiers, do you travel alone? Or do they come along and do non-skiing activities? Or do you just not travel to ski?
    9) How long does it take you to drive to the place where you race/ski most often? Or do you only race/ski at places you fly to? Closest is 1 hour, most are 2 hours driving, will drive as much as 6 hours to ski/race. Not many flying trips.

Good poll questions. My answers follow:

1) How long have you been racing?
    Near as I can remember I first tried gates 60 years ago, woulda been 14 maybe. It didn&#39;t go well, but I&#39;m still at it.

2) Do/did you do non-NASTAR races? What kinds and how often?
    In the 90&#39;s raced Masters in Northern Division, Montana. Five or six a season.

3) How much money would you say you&#39;ve put into racing, total? (or per year?
    Hard to say, but probably too much over the years for the results accomplished.

4) About how many days per year do you race? What about non-racing ski days?
    For almost 20 years I&#39;ve skied 100? days per year. Race days vary from 6 to 60 (counting Nastar).

5) What is your next racing goal (i.e. mastery of a technique, beating someone else&#39;s time, etc.)?
    I do it just for fun as I enjoy running gates.

6) About how long (# of race days, or years, or whatever) did it take you to progress from bronze to silver, from silver to gold, and from gold to platinum?
    On any given day I can get Bronze, Silver, or Gold depending on conditions. Last year I think I got one Platinum, this year I ended up ranked as a Platinum racer, albeit one of the slowest nationally. Every year it takes a few races to get into Gold, the class I hope to achieve.

7) How far do you ultimately see yourself going in this? Obviously most of us here are too old to hope to be in the Olympics in the future or anything like that, so what is it that you want out of NASTAR?
    I&#39;m approaching my 75th birthday and continuing for more years would be great. Who knows what&#39;s around the corner?

8 ) If you have spouse/significant other/kids, do they ski? Do they race?
    I&#39;m married to a woman who raced in high school, college, and as a Masters racer. She still runs NASTAR courses. Two of our adult offspring race NASTAR. One leads PSIA NASTAR clinics.

We ski mostly at our local area now, but my wife and I travel together to ski other areas on occasion.

9) How long does it take you to drive to the place where you race/ski most often? Or do you only race/ski at places you fly==
    We can see the area from our house. It&#39;s 15 minutes from the front door to the base area.

Lots of years, lots of fun.

1) How long have you been racing? 3 Years - started with Nastar experience
    2) Do/did you do non-NASTAR races? What kinds and how often? No, but hopefully will change as my kids get older. Did ski Alta&#39;s course and Snowbasin Town league race this year - fun and leg burning.
    3) How much money would you say you&#39;ve put into racing, total? (or per year) About $2500 this year on 2 pairs of skis, tuning equipement, and racing lesson (well worth it from the ski school at Snowbasin) equipment, Nastar fees, and lift tickets
    4) About how many days per year do you race? What about non-racing ski days? 19 days this year, about 35 days total.
    5) What is your next racing goal (i.e. mastery of a technique, beating someone else&#39;s time, etc.)? Technique - looking 2-4 gates ahead, quicker rise line adjustments, getting better on ice, get into platinum level.
    6) About how long (# of race days, or years, or whatever) did it take you to progress from bronze to silver, from silver to gold, and from gold to platinum? 1 year to move silver to gold, stuck in gold so far
    7) How far do you ultimately see yourself going in this? Obviously most of us here are too old to hope to be in the Olympics in the future or anything like that, so what is it that you want out of NASTAR? just keep getting faster and better - skills learned easily apply to freesking, hopefully get to work as part of a Nastar crew when I retire
    8 ) If you have spouse/significant other/kids, do they ski? Do they race? Wife and 4 yo daughter do, will probably start my 2 yo daughter this next season - is it over already
    9) How long does it take you to drive to the place where you race/ski most often? Or do you only race/ski at places you fly to? <1 hour without kids, 1.25 hours with kids :grin:

1) How long have you been racing? I started racing when I was 14 on the high school ski team. Skied USSA also my senior year. Skied 4 years of college, then one more of USSA before "real life" kicked in.

2) Do/did you do non-NASTAR races? I don&#39;t remember really doing Nastar at all until after college... After that, I started because it was the only way I could get in gates other than races. What kinds and how often?I&#39;ve skied in our local night league for years. I also try to enter as many "open" races as I can. I participate in the CMSC circuit, MACC sometimes, Masters if it&#39;s a convenient event, and anything else than comes up!

3) How much money would you say you&#39;ve put into racing, total? You know.... this is an interesting question.. I think I actually spend much LESS on skiing than most people. My pass is free, when I travel to a different resort, I can almost always score some free tickets, I have some very strong equipment relationships.... I think skiing is the type of sport where if you totally jump in both feet, it gets pretty cheap.

4) About how many days per year do you race? What about non-racing ski days? I&#39;ve kept a log this season, and I&#39;m on 71 ski days so far. I have no idea how many of those are race days. If anything, I think people put WAAAAY too much emphasis on gate time. Learn to ski all conditions and all terrain, then apply your skills to the course when you get the opportunity. People that show up at the hill when Nastar starts, then run laps until they pull the course and then go home are totally missing the boat.

5) What is your next racing goal (i.e. mastery of a technique, beating someone else&#39;s time, etc.)? I guess my main goal right now is to work on my line and pressure control. I think if I could learn to pressure the ski in the fall line, then GET OFF THE EDGE quicker, it could make a significant difference. Also, I&#39;d like to run more slalom and learn how to really use those little dinky skis. I think slalom training is HUGE. It teaches you fantastic balance and timing, plus you get in like twice as many turns on each run.

6) About how long (# of race days, or years, or whatever) did it take you to progress from bronze to silver, from silver to gold, and from gold to platinum? No idea. I really don&#39;t remember at all. Handicaps vary so much from one ski area to another and one day to the next that I truthfully don&#39;t put a hell of a lot of weight on them. I gauge myself on how I do compared to other people I know and race against on the same course on the same day.

7) How far do you ultimately see yourself going in this? Obviously most of us here are too old to hope to be in the Olympics in the future or anything like that, so what is it that you want out of NASTAR? Just a fun hobby.... the same as wakeboarding in the summer, pickup basketball or beach volleyball. Those are all things I am passionate about, but not because I&#39;m working toward any specific goal. I saw on Oprah the other day... (it was on in the kitchen when I got home! Don&#39;t judge me!) They had a segment on different cultures that live to very old age... One of the key principles in one of the cultures was a word (I forget what it was) that translated to "That which makes life worth living." For me, that is physical activity and friendly competition.

8 ) If you have spouse/significant other/kids, do they ski? Do they race? Wife is an awesome skier and racer, and shares my passion for backcountry skiing (although she isn&#39;t quite as down with big cliff drops). My kids are 4 and 6 and both ski and race (Nastar... nothing more so far.)

9) How long does it take you to drive to the place where you race/ski most often? Or do you only race/ski at places you fly to? It takes about 7 minutes to get to our local hill. I also usually get in a couple of western trips per season, but I don&#39;t think I&#39;ve ever taken race skis with me....

OREDOCK BREWING COMPANY SKI BUMS
    http://ore-dock.com/

+ Reply to Thread