+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Nubs Nob Nastar...

I had the same experience as Jason had at Nubs a few years ago - went to sign up on the hill at the start hut, and was told I had to have signed up in the lodge ahead of time - I learned my lesson and sign up ahead of time at Nubs now when I race there.

Nubs and Mt Holly are the only two areas I've ever been to (and I've raced NASTAR at over 25 areas nationwide) where you had to sign up ahead of time in the lodge, and not on the hill, so they are really the exception to the rule (or the anomoly in the Matrix - if you want to look at it that way)

I did the Dorie Sarnes at Nubs this year (meant to get back up for the Friday night Speed Series stuff but never made it), and have been doing MACC on and off for the past five seasons. It is definitely the next level - real GS courses, double and thru gates, etc - and will really kick up your game a notch by doing it. I am living proof of this. I would highly reccommend it to any midwest NASTAR racer who wants to get to the next level. Kudos to Nubs for making these races USSA Masters events. I wish MACC would do the same. Nubs runs a great race department, and the volunteer racers that run MACC set up great courses too.

Biggest drawback (for me at least) racing MACC is the Boyne lift ticket is way too expensive for the amount of skiing you get in - for each MACC race weekend you participate in (even if it's only one day of a two day race weekend) you have to work a race - either as a gatekeeper or some other job - and it bascially takes up the whole day. Not a lot of extra time for free skiing by the time you inspect, race and take care of work obligations - for a $50+ lift ticket, it's hard to justify for only two race runs - although they are the best racing runs in the midwest (except maybe for the Ridge runs at Marquette). I'd love to see Boyne offer a discounted MACC race ticket, so you can race on Superbowl without access to the rest of the hill, just to be able to race.

If you win, but in so doing, lose the respect of your competitors, you've not won anything at all - Paul Elvestrom - 4 time Danish Olympic gold medalist in Sailing

Nubs and Mt Holly are the only two areas I've ever been to (and I've raced NASTAR at over 25 areas nationwide) where you had to sign up ahead of time in the lodge, and not on the hill, so they are really the exception to the rule (or the anomoly in the Matrix - if you want to look at it that way)[/b]
    I'll take the red pill and see how deep the rabbit hole goes and see if the minority and otherwise unchecked contradictory systemic anomaly leads to an escalating probability of disaster :shock: OMG
    Fu

I'll take the red pill and see how deep the rabbit hole goes and see if the minority and otherwise unchecked contradictory systemic anomaly leads to an escalating probability of disaster :shock: OMG
    Fu[/b]
    :grin: :grin: :grin:

Sometimes I wish I'd have just taken the blue pill.
    If you win, but in so doing, lose the respect of your competitors, you've not won anything at all - Paul Elvestrom - 4 time Danish Olympic gold medalist in Sailing

:grin: :grin: :grin:

Sometimes I wish I'd have just taken the blue pill.[/b]
    What happens if you take both, the red and blue pill? I still have the goal of trying to ski Nubs's and Boyne Highlands Nastar the same day. I know they both are run at the same time but I think it's possible.
    Sometimes the Dragon wins, So Be the Dragon.
    HOR356
    Powered by Blizzard skis, Marker bindings and Head boots
    Fueled by Knights in Shiny Armor, Raisin Bran Crunch and Gatorade

What happens if you take both, the red and blue pill? I still have the goal of trying to ski Nubs's and Boyne Highlands Nastar the same day. I know they both are run at the same time but I think it's possible.[/b]
    Defintely do-able. Will just take some extra cash (two lift tickets, etc) But no problem. Ski your Nub's runs right at 12:30, then shoot on over to the Highlands, which doesn't usually start NASTAR until at least 1:15 or later.

The Highlands doesn't start NASTAR until 1 in the afternoon?! :shock:

What kind of program is that? Must be some unusual manpower issue. I can't imagine why a resort would start the course so late in the day.

The Highlands doesn't start NASTAR until 1 in the afternoon?! :shock:

What kind of program is that? Must be some unusual manpower issue. I can't imagine why a resort would start the course so late in the day.[/b]
    You have to know John Medicine. He's a great guy and fun to race against. He'll get you going if you think you can beat him. LOL. He runs the Nastar program with his girl friend. He has it set up so he can run it with just himself. He sets around 11:00 and paces just before 1:00 or sooner. It's never a slow turn around to the Heather express and back to the start. You can get a lot of runs in until you're wore out.
    Sometimes the Dragon wins, So Be the Dragon.
    HOR356