+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Downed by snowboarder, but hopefully not out for long!

Hey, pretty cool. NASTAR's own Bill Madsen was a stunt double in the movie too![/b]
    That's who we are talking about. Also, that's Bill in the picture above....
    OREDOCK BREWING COMPANY SKI BUMS
    http://ore-dock.com/

Geez, Jamie! You're lucky to walk away from that one.

Guess I need to put AE in the DVD player and watch it again......Scot Schmidt (sigh).
    Stupidity should be painful!

Real ripper chix hang out here:
    The Ski Diva

Jamie, glad to hear that you're OK. Take care of yourself.

I haven't seen Aspen Extreme...I'm partial to a movie that I think was called Hot Dogs. It took place at Squaw Valley. Maybe 'cause I like Sunny side up, sunny side down, and sunny side all da vay around... man I love that line...
    I drink, therefore I am!
    CRU145

Jamie, glad to hear that you're OK. Take care of yourself.

I haven't seen Aspen Extreme...I'm partial to a movie that I think was called Hot Dogs. It took place at Squaw Valley. Maybe 'cause I like Sunny side up, sunny side down, and sunny side all da vay around... man I love that line...[/b]

That is truly a classic line... and it's just Hot Dog (singular) as I look at it on my shelf.

On the topic we have a member who is probably in his late 40's who use to be a snowboard instructor at Aspen before coming East some years ago. I was present for the kind of cussing out that most skiers could only dream about hitting a boarder with. It was a group of 4 teenagers who came blasting though a group of us. He took off after them and when they stopped he started in on them. They then tried to take off on him and given that he's our top rated snowboard racer and boarding almost since it started they had a pretty slim chance of getting away from him. He ran them down and finished his rant. When I saw him that night at a party he was still hot about it.

When possible I try to stay out from behind them because that's their blind spot. At least it's not as bad as the late 90's when it was a rite of passage for a boarder to try to put a skier into the woods. I had 3 try that on me, but as a 240# ex-defensive tackle and now over 50 soccer goalie who doesn't mind a little contact those didn't end well for the kids.

Clark
    Past President & Trip Chair, Eastern Inter-Club Ski League, www.eicsl.org, A bad day skiing is better than any day working

VolklGirl,

Hope your recovery is progressing. You mentioned a bruised hip- I went down on cement in a group bike ride over the summer and eventually went to get xrays to make sure it was not a broken pelvis as the pain was pretty high (even though I had movement right away and could place weight on it). It was just a nasty deep bone bruise from the hip down to the knee, plus some road rash added. So no pulled mussles like your crash, but took both Advil and Tylenol (alternating every 2 hours for a few days) to deal with the pain and some of the swelling. So I can imagine that the mussle pull adds to the pain issues. Probably more drugs than I ever have needed before in my life.

A deep bruise can easily be 3 weeks or more. I took 1 month off the bike and then started back on Labor Day with the bike as well as some home PT of stretching, flexing and range of motion to strengthen it. Was really more worried about the up coming ski season - but started up at first snow fall in Nov. slowly and have been fine.

Get well - sleeping was really hard at first for me so hope you are coping.

That is truly a classic line... and it's just Hot Dog (singular) as I look at it on my shelf.

On the topic we have a member who is probably in his late 40's who use to be a snowboard instructor at Aspen before coming East some years ago. I was present for the kind of cussing out that most skiers could only dream about hitting a boarder with. It was a group of 4 teenagers who came blasting though a group of us. He took off after them and when they stopped he started in on them. They then tried to take off on him and given that he's our top rated snowboard racer and boarding almost since it started they had a pretty slim chance of getting away from him. He ran them down and finished his rant. When I saw him that night at a party he was still hot about it.

When possible I try to stay out from behind them because that's their blind spot. At least it's not as bad as the late 90's when it was a rite of passage for a boarder to try to put a skier into the woods. I had 3 try that on me, but as a 240# ex-defensive tackle and now over 50 soccer goalie who doesn't mind a little contact those didn't end well for the kids.

Clark[/b]

Last year while starting my daughter on the Greens at Copper Co she was hit 3 times by boarders in 1 day. The 3rd one caught my rath. Sorry Pat but for every skier that hits a boarder there is 50 boarders taking out skiers, that is a stat that can't be argued. 2 years ago while stopped on the side of a run and talking with a group of skiers that were standing below me one of them yelled at me that I was about to be hit by a boarder, I caught a glimse of him in time to drop my shoulder into him(Iweigh in at 220 and in decent shape), he went over me and cleared the group of skiers below me. I ended up with a sore shoulder for a few days, the boarder was hauled away from the scene by the ski patrol with 2 broken ribs and a broken arm. Normally it is the skier that ends up with injuries but not in this case. I think it is time that the resorts separate the skiers from the boarders, they do not mix!!!!!!!!!!

Amen.
    I drink, therefore I am!
    CRU145

I was out skiing with my brothers at Mount Snow this weekend, my brother had an overtaking snowboarder make a sudden turn (heel turn) right into his line, the boarder never even knew anyone was there because of the blind spot. We were out in front of him so we never saw it happen, he called me while we were waiting in line, he was going to the first aid bldg and meet him there. He's 6'1" 230 pounds, the boarder was an 18yr old kid, my brother is okay - a bit shaken and sore. The kid got his two front teeth knocked out, my brother ended up with a huge gash in his helmet - thank goodness he was wearing one because the impact was so great that it actually delaminated the kids snowboard.

Talking with the Ski Patrol, the guy said you'd be surprised at the number of people that just take off after the collision, when that happens they get the police involved. I believe it's a law in CO that you have to file a report.

I've been hit twice myself, from overtaking boarders on a heel turn, I stay as far away from them as possible now.

VG - all the best and hope you get better soon!

That is truly a classic line... and it's just Hot Dog (singular) as I look at it on my shelf.[/b]
    The actual title is "Hot Dog The Movie" (to distinguish it from "Hot Dog the Opera"?). I've watched it many times. Guess I need to go out and get Aspen Extreme.
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room"
    "When you're over the hill, you pick up speed!"
    NASTAR# MOO95 Ski Race Record
    NASTAR# MOO2023 Snowboard Race Record

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com
    pat-moore.artistwebsites.com

Smile

For those of you not following the story on Facebook or the Ski Diva, here's an update.

X-Rays from that encounter:

Notice - no apparent break? Yeah. Right.

I was given the OK to continue activities as tolerated so I did. After a long day on my feet at work....pain. After skiing anything other than blue groomers.....pain. OK, that should have been a heads-up, hunh? Doh!

Then on 2/20/09, I made a trip with hubby and a buddy to Boyne Highlands. We got in exactly 5 runs before I lost an edge and did the splits. YOUCH!!! After a sled ride to the Ski Patrol building and a set up in a traction brace, this is what happened:
    My chariot awaits

I arrive at the hospital in Petoskey to find this:

Then I spent 3 nights in a hospital 2 1/2 hours from home for pain control. Sure :roll: . The good news is it's not a complete break and it's non displaced. The bad news is it has spidered and any more breakage will require massive surgery and a hip replacement. I'm completely non weight-bearing on the left for at least 4 weeks, and possibly as long as 6. BTW, Darvocet and Morphine are wonderful things ;-) . Looks like I'm out for the rest of our season, for sure.

So......chances of me being at the Marquette GTG? 0. Chances of me being able to take the trip to Colorado I've planned for years with hubby, family, and great friends in tow? Pretty darn close to 0.
    Stupidity should be painful!

Real ripper chix hang out here:
    The Ski Diva

+ Reply to Thread