+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Changing the par time during the race

What are the rules or guidelines (if there are any) regarding changing the par time after the race has started, and making it "retroactive" to the earlier racers? I raced on Sunday and was told my handicaps and medal (gold) on three runs, and later, when I checked my results, the handicaps were 6-9 points higher, and I had a silver. Huh?? They were also much higher than I had the previous week (over 10 points higher), and higher than I had the whole season before last (I couldn't ski last year, due to shoulder surgery). I'm guessing the course got faster over time, the pacesetter ran again, and they used that run for the new par time. But is that fair to those of us who ran earlier? I also suspect that the pacesetter's handicap (15) is too high for him. The pacesetter for last week also had a 15, and I know this second pacesetter is faster . . .

This exact question came up at pacesetter trials earlier this year (two weeks ago, in fact), and according to Bill Madsen, if the course gets faster (or slower) to the point where the pacesetter feels like he needs to re-paceset, then a new race should be started, and the old (existing) race closed out, and those results be recorded and stand as is.

It should read in the results section as follows:

NASTAR Daily Race #1
    NASTAR Daily Race #2

This is pretty standard, how to handle it is in the rules, but has been an ongoing problem at different resorts over the years. Unfortunately, this problem seems to come up every year.

From my take on things, it takes a little bit of effort to close out a race and start a new race, and my guess is that it is easier for the staff to just simply insert the newer pacesetter time, hoping (and mostly being correct) that no one will notice (or care).

I'd shoot off an email to the resort and ask for an explanation, and if that does not satisfy you, then contact Bill Madsen at HQ and explain to him the particulars, and ask if he can straighten it out for you.
    If you win, but in so doing, lose the respect of your competitors, you've not won anything at all - Paul Elvestrom - 4 time Danish Olympic gold medalist in Sailing

Thanks. That's exactly what I thought was supposed to happen. I have emailed the race director (and sent part of your post), asking if he could either re-do last week's results, or at least explain to the area's pacesetters how it should be handled in the future.

I am glad that he addressed this issue. With the above response I think that is the only fiar way to handle a race. Have you guys ever see a pacesetter rerun later because the course has deteriorated to the point where everyone is very high? Its all about the pacesetters ego so starting a new race is the only fiar way to handle this.
    An eye for an eye!

From my take on things, it takes a little bit of effort to close out a race and start a new race, and my guess is that it is easier for the staff to just simply insert the newer pacesetter time, hoping (and mostly being correct) that no one will notice (or care).[/b]
    Nope it's not a problem at all to start a new race. That was one of the fixes they made in the software for this season. You could still do it with the old software you just had to hunt for the racers data base (which isn't that hard using Windows Explorer) and copy it to the new location for the new race. Now you can do all of this with in the Nastar software in two clicks.
    Sometimes the Dragon wins, So Be the Dragon.
    HOR356