+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thanks for taking the time out

Kaylin,

First thanks for taking valuable time to share with a group or recreational racers.

What is the one of the best AHA moments (where the light seemed to come on and you really had a coach tell or show you something) that really stepped up your racing? Is there one that sticks in your mind, if so can you share what it was?

First of all- you are so welcome! I enjoy talking to all of you! And remember- recreational or professional, we all ski for the same reason-- because we love it! As for an AHA moment (I read Oprah's magazine and she always has famous people answer the same question- it is fascinating). Truthfully I have many aha moments, but if I told you I would be here all night. Although, when it comes to skiing there are two that come to mind; one physical, and one mental.

First of all, the physical. When I was 18 on the Devo Team one day while we were training in New Zealand my coach John Hale changed my skiing. I always (and still struggle with) have dropped my hip to initiate the turn. John just told me to start the turn with my knees and ankles, keeping my hip in unless it was fast or steep enough that it was necessary for that kind of angulation. I am sure coaches had told me things like that before then, but for some reason it made sense at that moment. That following year was my breakout year when I jumped from the D team to the B team.

Now, mental. In 2007 I had ankle surgery in September missing a big part of the preparation period. I trained for about a week before my first races, but I had no expectations and was really relaxed. I won my first race, a NorAm SG and then next thing I knew I was on my way to Europe to be in a World Cup super combined and SG in Reiteralm, Austria. I had the same mindset, not expecting anything and I got my first top 15 in a WC- a 13th in SG! Me, the tech skier from MN. I was thrilled and that was the first time I really believed that I was one of the best skiers in the world. That confidence snowballed into my best season to date. It is all about your mindset. Even when I haven't been skiing very well, I remind myself of that, put it all in perspective, and am continually reassured. Attitude IS everything.

Now I have to go to bed-- thank you all for participating and have a GREAT winter whatever level of skiing you enjoy!! Please say hello if we ever cross paths!

Warmly,
    Kaylin

First of all- you are so welcome! I enjoy talking to all of you! And remember- recreational or professional, we all ski for the same reason-- because we love it! As for an AHA moment (I read Oprah's magazine and she always has famous people answer the same question- it is fascinating). Truthfully I have many aha moments, but if I told you I would be here all night. Although, when it comes to skiing there are two that come to mind; one physical, and one mental.

First of all, the physical. When I was 18 on the Devo Team one day while we were training in New Zealand my coach John Hale changed my skiing. I always (and still struggle with) have dropped my hip to initiate the turn. John just told me to start the turn with my knees and ankles, keeping my hip in unless it was fast or steep enough that it was necessary for that kind of angulation. I am sure coaches had told me things like that before then, but for some reason it made sense at that moment. That following year was my breakout year when I jumped from the D team to the B team.

Now, mental. In 2007 I had ankle surgery in September missing a big part of the preparation period. I trained for about a week before my first races, but I had no expectations and was really relaxed. I won my first race, a NorAm SG and then next thing I knew I was on my way to Europe to be in a World Cup super combined and SG in Reiteralm, Austria. I had the same mindset, not expecting anything and I got my first top 15 in a WC- a 13th in SG! Me, the tech skier from MN. I was thrilled and that was the first time I really believed that I was one of the best skiers in the world. That confidence snowballed into my best season to date. It is all about your mindset. Even when I haven't been skiing very well, I remind myself of that, put it all in perspective, and am continually reassured. Attitude IS everything.

Now I have to go to bed-- thank you all for participating and have a GREAT winter whatever level of skiing you enjoy!! Please say hello if we ever cross paths!

Warmly,
    Kaylin[/b]

Thanks for sharing especially the mental as many times we think first of a physical move or suggestion. Have a great season and get a good nights rest after your travel delays so far this week.

+ Reply to Thread