+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question for Steven Nyman - Start Technique

Thumbs up

Start Technique

Mental thoughts & imagery focused on in the start? on the course?, type of start - kick start vs. pole start, kick start height 1' 2' 3' etc.; range of number of skating steps in GS? in SL? - how do you decide to when to stop skating, impact of start ramp angle / start ramp length / direction of first gate relative to starting wand i.e. if the first gate is 45 degrees from the starting wand, do you turn your skis 45 degrees in the start to face the first gate or is it faster to kick start perpendicular to starting wand)

I appreciated the feedback that you gave in the other thread about poling with each skate for best speed.

Skiing at my level is all about confidence. Everyone around me is a good skier it is who beleives in themselves the most. So inspection is key for me. I have to know what I am doing before I actually do it. See yourself doing it. dont think so much in the start just think about going and know you can do it. Know you have trained and are strong.

As for the start. Just skate and pole as hard as you can. Usually only 3-4 times depending on the steepeness. Here in Beaver Creek I only do one. It all depens just make the judgement.

Start Technique

Mental thoughts & imagery focused on in the start? on the course?, type of start - kick start vs. pole start, kick start height 1' 2' 3' etc.; range of number of skating steps in GS? in SL? - how do you decide to when to stop skating, impact of start ramp angle / start ramp length / direction of first gate relative to starting wand i.e. if the first gate is 45 degrees from the starting wand, do you turn your skis 45 degrees in the start to face the first gate or is it faster to kick start perpendicular to starting wand)

I appreciated the feedback that you gave in the other thread about poling with each skate for best speed.[/b]

+ Reply to Thread