+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: So maybe 61 is too old for aerials after all.....

It was a classic Vermont Spring day and the carving board was holding a nice edge. Early afternoon everything turned to mashed potatoes so I dusted off my Salomon Scream mid fats and headed for the terrain park.

There is a series of jumps on one run. You know the kind - elevated kicker with flags marking the takeoff point, a flat tabletop and then a steep landing area. The first one went well, I launched and cleared the table top sticking a nice landing. A few more like that and maybe a daffy or a helicopter? (WHAT was I thinking????). I hit the second jump and realized too late that this one launched the skier almost vertical and was designed for inverted aerials! I had more speed on this one and consequently more air time before I slammed my right hip into the downslope. The pain was intense but what really got my attention was the shrieks from the kids behind me who launched off the jump and discovered a senior citizen sprawled in their landing area. Fortunately both of them managed to miss me and I dragged my protesting body to the side.

I limped home, applied ice externally and Long Trail Ale internally. The whirlpool tub is filling and I'm thinking of maybe giving up aerials. Don't you hate it when logic and reason enter into the equation?
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room"
    "When you're over the hill, you pick up speed!"
    NASTAR# MOO95 Ski Race Record
    NASTAR# MOO2023 Snowboard Race Record

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com
    pat-moore.artistwebsites.com

Grow up you old fart!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Never mind- I have way too much
    fun telling friends about your antics. Keep it up because my stories are pretty
    boring without you :wink:

Grow up you old fart!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Never mind- I have way too much
    fun telling friends about your antics. Keep it up because my stories are pretty
    boring without you :wink:[/b]
    My daughters get a kick out of the antics, my long-suffering wife tolerates them, and my grandson is too young to be embarrassed (yet).

Some of these photos you may have seen before..... click on the button that says slideshow.

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com

Hey, look at it this way, Pat. If you had done an inverted aerial, you could have replaced your back flip avatar! Glad to hear nothing is broken. You KNOW that hips are fragile in the elderly!!!!! :grin: :grin: :grin: Sorry, I couldn't resist. Hey, at 39, I wouldn't have even TRIED it! Good for you. Keep it up as long as you aren't jeoprodizing a double podium next year...
    I drink, therefore I am!
    CRU145

Hey, look at it this way, Pat. If you had done an inverted aerial, you could have replaced your back flip avatar! Glad to hear nothing is broken. You KNOW that hips are fragile in the elderly!!!!! :grin: :grin: :grin: Sorry, I couldn't resist. Hey, at 39, I wouldn't have even TRIED it! Good for you. Keep it up as long as you aren't jeoprodizing a double podium next year...[/b]
    Actually it was an inverted (albeit unintentional) aerial. I'm paying the price. As of this morning I can almost walk without a limp :shock:

I just sat on a chair and reached down to turn on my wife's PC when I pulled a muscle in my back. Arrrrgggghhhhh!!!!! What a drag it is getting old.....

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com

Actually it was an inverted (albeit unintentional) aerial. I'm paying the price. As of this morning I can almost walk without a limp :shock:

I just sat on a chair and reached down to turn on my wife's PC when I pulled a muscle in my back. Arrrrgggghhhhh!!!!! What a drag it is getting old.....[/b]

Old??? Old????

You aren't old.

Didn't you hear?

60 is the new 40!

Whatever the heck that means
    If you win, but in so doing, lose the respect of your competitors, you've not won anything at all - Paul Elvestrom - 4 time Danish Olympic gold medalist in Sailing

Old??? Old????

You aren't old.

Didn't you hear?

60 is the new 40!

Whatever the heck that means[/b]
    Damn... what's 40 then? I'm getting there quick. I would guess it must be the new 20, right? Well, that makes me still under 20 according to these rules, and I still don't hit those jumps very often. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that at 61 you won't be seeing me in the terrain park!!
    Heal up quick, Pat.
    OREDOCK BREWING COMPANY SKI BUMS
    http://ore-dock.com/

Damn... what's 40 then? I'm getting there quick. I would guess it must be the new 20, right? Well, that makes me still under 20 according to these rules, and I still don't hit those jumps very often. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that at 61 you won't be seeing me in the terrain park!!
    Heal up quick, Pat.[/b]
    I left 40 in the rearview mirror 10 years ago - coming up on 50 this summer............

............so this means it's probably time to start getting serious about being an adult

Ocassionally, at least.
    If you win, but in so doing, lose the respect of your competitors, you've not won anything at all - Paul Elvestrom - 4 time Danish Olympic gold medalist in Sailing

I left 40 in the rearview mirror 10 years ago - coming up on 50 this summer............
    ............so this means it's probably time to start getting serious about being an adult
    Ocassionally, at least.[/b]
    Sign of aging.....

I went to brush my teeth this morning after taking the Ibuprofen and rubbing Traumeel - a Ben Gay clone - into my pulled muscle. I noticed that the toothpaste had a different taste. Now I know what Traumeel tastes like. :shock:

Good thing I'm getting younger......

Need to start practicing for this year's Lip Sync competition at our ski club. Years past have been tough to top but this year might get some attention. If I can build up enough courage, I may just post one or two of our past performances on YouTube.

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com

Sign of aging.....
    I went to brush my teeth this morning after taking the Ibuprofen and rubbing Traumeel - a Ben Gay clone - into my pulled muscle. I noticed that the toothpaste had a different taste. Now I know what Traumeel tastes like. :shock:

Good thing I'm getting younger......[/b]
    Pat,

Look on the bright side - any toothache will probably go away quicker, and you won't get any cavities in that pulled muscle!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

+ Reply to Thread