+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question for Steve Nyman - self coached beginner

Hi Steve, thanks for taking the time for this.

Can you please reach back into your distant past, and offer some adivce for the intermediate skier? I am older (51), just started racing, and though I'm having a ball, I'd really like to advance more quickly. I am by necessity self-coached, and I attempt to remember one or two things each run to focus on, but often "blank out" when I leave the starting gate.

So, what few things should I focus on at this point? And, what techniques can I employ to help keep focus on the course?

Hi Steve, thanks for taking the time for this.

Can you please reach back into your distant past, and offer some adivce for the intermediate skier? I am older (51), just started racing, and though I'm having a ball, I'd really like to advance more quickly. I am by necessity self-coached, and I attempt to remember one or two things each run to focus on, but often "blank out" when I leave the starting gate.

So, what few things should I focus on at this point? And, what techniques can I employ to help keep focus on the course?[/b]
    No problem. I'm psyched you're so determined and going for it. It may sound cliche, but all the standard pointers. Keep your eyes ahead a couple gates, driving forward, feel the pinch on your hips, keep your shoulders square, etc. Every run pick a couple then focus on those, then change it up a bit. Hope that helps.

No problem. I'm psyched you're so determined and going for it. It may sound cliche, but all the standard pointers. Keep your eyes ahead a couple gates, driving forward, feel the pinch on your hips, keep your shoulders square, etc. Every run pick a couple then focus on those, then change it up a bit. Hope that helps.[/b]
    Thanks!

No problem. I'm psyched you're so determined and going for it. It may sound cliche, but all the standard pointers. Keep your eyes ahead a couple gates, driving forward, feel the pinch on your hips, keep your shoulders square, etc. Every run pick a couple then focus on those, then change it up a bit. Hope that helps.[/b]
    As a follow up, can you please explain "feel the pinch on your hips?"

Thanks,

jv

As a follow up, can you please explain "feel the pinch on your hips?"

Thanks,

jv[/b]
    The feeling that you get in your waist/side in the middle of turn. It is caused from keeping your upper body down the hill and square. Your legs are moving independently, while your upper body is more calm and driving down the hill.

Do you advocate staying low in the transition between turns? In other words not standing erect so much as keeping a low profile. Is what you're describing synonymous with the term "cross under".

Thanks
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room"
    "When you're over the hill, you pick up speed!"
    NASTAR# MOO95 Ski Race Record
    NASTAR# MOO2023 Snowboard Race Record

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com
    pat-moore.artistwebsites.com

Do you advocate staying low in the transition between turns? In other words not standing erect so much as keeping a low profile. Is what you're describing synonymous with the term "cross under".

Thanks[/b]
    Yes, definitely keep low. But don't allow it to affect your performance. If you can maintain a low position, but still ski strong, then that is ideal.

+ Reply to Thread