+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Questions for Steven Nyman - line, pressure management, development system

Thumbs up

What advice would you give in the following topics: line, pressure management, development system?

9. Line - How much time can one gain by tightening up the line around the gate by 6" (assuming that one can still carve the tighter line) on a FIS GS course? by 6" on a FIS SL course? I have heard figures ranging from 1/100th of a second to 1/10th of a second for each gate that you can tighten the line by 6".

10. Pressure Management - What is your overall target for outside ski / inside ski pressure for SL? 80/20? for GS? 70/30? by turn phase (initiation, turning, completion) for SL? for GS?

11. Development System - What aspects do you like about the current US development system? What aspects can be improved? Is there anything USST can learn from other countries like Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Canada, etc.? I have been impressed by the free online resources that CSCF provides especially the videos, pdfs, drills for the Husky Snow Stars http://www.vivatexte.com/eprep/cscf/husky/ program. How do we connect the skiing public with our teams and our athletes?

I am hoping that my questions may encourage other NASTAR forum members to participate in the online discussion with the U.S. Ski Team Ambassadors because of their interest in the topics mentioned in this thread or in new topics/questions prompted by this thread.

If you are interested in any of the topics mentioned in this thread, please post a response in this thread & mention the topic(s).

If you have new topic(s) &/or question(s), please feel free to create a new thread.

What advice would you give in the following topics: line, pressure management, development system?

9. Line - How much time can one gain by tightening up the line around the gate by 6" (assuming that one can still carve the tighter line) on a FIS GS course? by 6" on a FIS SL course? I have heard figures ranging from 1/100th of a second to 1/10th of a second for each gate that you can tighten the line by 6".

10. Pressure Management - What is your overall target for outside ski / inside ski pressure for SL? 80/20? for GS? 70/30? by turn phase (initiation, turning, completion) for SL? for GS?

11. Development System - What aspects do you like about the current US development system? What aspects can be improved? Is there anything USST can learn from other countries like Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Canada, etc.? I have been impressed by the free online resources that CSCF provides especially the videos, pdfs, drills for the Husky Snow Stars http://www.vivatexte.com/eprep/cscf/husky/ program. How do we connect the skiing public with our teams and our athletes?

I am hoping that my questions may encourage other NASTAR forum members to participate in the online discussion with the U.S. Ski Team Ambassadors because of their interest in the topics mentioned in this thread or in new topics/questions prompted by this thread.

If you are interested in any of the topics mentioned in this thread, please post a response in this thread & mention the topic(s).

If you have new topic(s) &/or question(s), please feel free to create a new thread.[/b]
    Line-to go faster is not only about cutting off line but generating speed. To generate speed you often times have to have a more round approach. There is no calculating how much you can save. I know you will save more time when you feel comfortable and balanced to where you can start pushing youself harder and harder. once you find the right balance the speed will come.

pressure management-I am pretty much 95% on the outside ski and the inside ski is there to catch me if the outside ski gives out. In the transition you move to a more 50/50 ratio but the deeper you move into tthe apex the more you move to the other ski. It also depends on the pitch you are skiing on. A flatter hill i will be more 2 footed than a steeper hill.

Line-to go faster is not only about cutting off line but generating speed. To generate speed you often times have to have a more round approach. There is no calculating how much you can save. I know you will save more time when you feel comfortable and balanced to where you can start pushing youself harder and harder. once you find the right balance the speed will come.

pressure management-I am pretty much 95% on the outside ski and the inside ski is there to catch me if the outside ski gives out. In the transition you move to a more 50/50 ratio but the deeper you move into tthe apex the more you move to the other ski. It also depends on the pitch you are skiing on. A flatter hill i will be more 2 footed than a steeper hill.[/b]
    Development system-I havent looked at the way USSA has structured their system but from what i expierenced it is the same. I had fun when I was younger and when i got older i became more serious. there definatly is an age limit to the sport and your development. i dont think you can get some pro footballer and set him on skis and expect him to be top knotch in 2 seasons. The problem with connection people with the athletes is that we ski the same time you ski but we are mostly in europe. so it is hard to connect. We are working on making an event everyone can go to and ski with us.

+ Reply to Thread