+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Questions for Steven Nyman - Inspection, Warm-Up, Start, Actual Race

Thumbs up

What advice would you give in the following topics: course inspection, warm-up, start technique, actual race?

1. Course Inspection (fallaways, knolls, terrain changes, trail turns, hairpins, flushes, delays/under gates, snow conditions, lighting conditions, finishing gate sequence)

2. Race Day Routine / Rituals / Warm Up (drills, exercises) Also what are you currently focusing on during the free ski warm up (shin pressure, hands up/elbows up, hips forward, level shoulders, quiet upper body, rising forward, active ankles, etc.) ?

3. Start Technique (mental thoughts & imagery focused on in the start? on the course?, type of start - kick start vs. pole start, kick start height 1' 2' 3' etc.; range of number of skating steps in GS? in SL? - how do you decide to when to stop skating, impact of start ramp angle / start ramp length / direction of first gate relative to starting wand i.e. if the first gate is 45 degrees from the starting wand, do you turn your skis 45 degrees in the start to face the first gate or is it faster to kick start perpendicular to starting wand)

4. Actual Race (What tactics would you advise racers to focus on in the race course by racer level - early round turn higher on rise line which completes last 1/3 of turn by gate vs. lower, direct line which initates turn closer to gate, etc.)

I am hoping that my questions may encourage other NASTAR forum members to participate in the online discussion with the U.S. Ski Team Ambassadors because of their interest in the topics mentioned in this thread or in new topics/questions prompted by this thread.

If you are interested in any of the topics mentioned in this thread, please post a response in this thread & mention the topic(s).

If you have new topic(s) &/or question(s), please feel free to create a new thread.

What advice would you give in the following topics: course inspection, warm-up, start technique, actual race?

1. Course Inspection (fallaways, knolls, terrain changes, trail turns, hairpins, flushes, delays/under gates, snow conditions, lighting conditions, finishing gate sequence)

2. Race Day Routine / Rituals / Warm Up (drills, exercises) Also what are you currently focusing on during the free ski warm up (shin pressure, hands up/elbows up, hips forward, level shoulders, quiet upper body, rising forward, active ankles, etc.) ?

3. Start Technique (mental thoughts & imagery focused on in the start? on the course?, type of start - kick start vs. pole start, kick start height 1' 2' 3' etc.; range of number of skating steps in GS? in SL? - how do you decide to when to stop skating, impact of start ramp angle / start ramp length / direction of first gate relative to starting wand i.e. if the first gate is 45 degrees from the starting wand, do you turn your skis 45 degrees in the start to face the first gate or is it faster to kick start perpendicular to starting wand)

4. Actual Race (What tactics would you advise racers to focus on in the race course by racer level - early round turn higher on rise line which completes last 1/3 of turn by gate vs. lower, direct line which initates turn closer to gate, etc.)

I am hoping that my questions may encourage other NASTAR forum members to participate in the online discussion with the U.S. Ski Team Ambassadors because of their interest in the topics mentioned in this thread or in new topics/questions prompted by this thread.

If you are interested in any of the topics mentioned in this thread, please post a response in this thread & mention the topic(s).

If you have new topic(s) &/or question(s), please feel free to create a new thread.[/b]
    Course Inspection - Just study and be aware of the course and what lies within it. All courses are pliable and change at all times. Just be aware of your surroundings and remember what lies ahead.

Rituals - I dont believe in rituals. I just make sure I'm warm for the race. Rituals create another element that you can mess up. I just go with what I feel I need. My focuses are always changing. I usually focus on my weakness and try to improve it.

Start Technique - Once again something that applies to the person and what works best for them. Try various methods. I just try to push out of the gate as hard as possible, but sometimes it doesn't work so well...

Race Day - Focus on going fast on race day. You train to create habits for race day so you dont have to think and all you have to do is go. It should become instinct.

Steven - Thanks for your answers so far. When you have the time, I would enjoy hearing your perspective on the questions in my other thread - stivot http://www.nastar.com/community/inde...showtopic=2308.

Also, congratulations on your podium (2nd place) at the 2007 Beaver Creek DH. Your recovery with the left ski after the Golden Eagle jump was impressive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEqRVFLNfKE You must be "part cat". Your dryland strength training looks like it paid off in that situation.

+ Reply to Thread