+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: If Bodie can race on one ski, why can't I????

Thanks for the input. My sole length is 326. I work for a ski shop and our head tech was careful to make sure the forward pressure adjustment was set properly. In a survey of the better racers on that course the DIN settings ranged from 9 to 14. Since I'm a member of the race crew at Okemo I had a mountain radio with me after I retrieved my gear and I overheard one of the crew asking if someone had "seen Pat Moore's crash". Whoever responded replied, "yeah, he probably had a DIN setting of 7". The guy called it exactly! The consensus was that for races of that speed and lateral forces, I'm better off cranking things down. I have to agree. On the other hand maybe I should stick to snowboard racing - the bindings never release! :wink:[/b]
    I don't know, man, how a binding could kick out like that on that slope (in the picture) if it was set at 7 and properly set up. The charts I have all indicate a 5 for your height and weight and sole length, going to 4 if you're over 50 years old. I'll give you a fitness credit and leave it at 5. But still, it did pop. What exactly precipitated the release? It looks like you could have dragged a tip or something - maybe it should have released!

I'm puzzled.

jv

I don't know, man, how a binding could kick out like that on that slope (in the picture) if it was set at 7 and properly set up. The charts I have all indicate a 5 for your height and weight and sole length, going to 4 if you're over 50 years old. I'll give you a fitness credit and leave it at 5. But still, it did pop. What exactly precipitated the release? It looks like you could have dragged a tip or something - maybe it should have released!

I'm puzzled.

jv[/b]
    Those charts are a guideline. A starting point. For example, the chart is the same for someone 148 to 174 pounds. That's a pretty big range.

If you are an aggressive, fast skier, and/or ski gates regularly, you may well need a higher release value. Especially in particularly firm, rutted snow.

I set up a pair of adult GS skis this weekend for a J3 girl who is headed to J.O.'s and needs a ski to use for Super G. I checked her tech skis, and they were set at 8, so because of the higher speeds of SG, I set them at 9 for her.

For racing, it really becomes a matter of trial and error. If they pre-release, you gotta crank 'em up a bit.

For reference, I weigh about 175, and have a 311 boot sole. My bindings are set on 12, and they DO release when I need them to. You should always try to keep your bindings set as low as you can get away with without pre-releasing.
    OREDOCK BREWING COMPANY SKI BUMS
    http://ore-dock.com/

Those charts are a guideline. A starting point. For example, the chart is the same for someone 148 to 174 pounds. That's a pretty big range.

If you are an aggressive, fast skier, and/or ski gates regularly, you may well need a higher release value. Especially in particularly firm, rutted snow.

For racing, it really becomes a matter of trial and error. If they pre-release, you gotta crank 'em up a bit.

You should always try to keep your bindings set as low as you can get away with without pre-releasing.[/b]

Jclose8 has made some excellent points. Since you are an advanced racer you may be moving into the realm of the type 3+ skier. Also, as an advanced racer once you move up from standard NASTAR courses to more difficult USSA Masters/J1 & league courses, the forces on the bindings increase significantly. I used to have my bindings set on 7 until they pre-released when I hit a shallow cross rut in a Masters type GS course. I eventually increased them to 9 and haven't had pre-release issues since (Please note that this is for informational purposes only & you should consult a qualified professional). The main point is to increase the bindings in small increments slowly but keep them as low as possible.

I weigh 30 lbs less and am female over 50 and mine are set to 6.5 I try to fall a couple times each year to be sure they release if needed. I have learned to exagerate my height and weight and shave 5 off my age when getting bindings set so they don't fall off unexpectedly. Last bone density exam I was 125% of the average 21 year old so I worry less about bones than soft tissue but have never had much trouble...yet.
    LB
    WAL18

Stockliman, I am not squeemish, but that turned my stomach! I still have a sour-puss grimace.... I actually didn't even finish watching the whole clip. After the SECOND slow-mo replay, I had to turn it off. As hard as it was for me to watch, I can only image the terror that it must have struck in his family's hearts...AND for him to watch on video. :shock:
    I drink, therefore I am!
    CRU145

Stockliman, I am not squeemish, but that turned my stomach! I still have a sour-puss grimace.... I actually didn't even finish watching the whole clip. After the SECOND slow-mo replay, I had to turn it off. As hard as it was for me to watch, I can only image the terror that it must have struck in his family's hearts...AND for him to watch on video. :shock:[/b]
    I doubt he's seen it yet, he was in an induced coma for the treatment, including amputation, which I think was early Tuesday morning.

I wonder why his left ski didn't come off. The Austrian's were immediately blaming Norway for not having a chopper standing by. I would be looking to the ski tech who set up the bindings, and the binding manufacturer. I watched the video several times, and that ski hit hard on the edges several times and should have popped off.

I doubt he's seen it yet, he was in an induced coma for the treatment, including amputation, which I think was early Tuesday morning.

I wonder why his left ski didn't come off. The Austrian's were immediately blaming Norway for not having a chopper standing by. I would be looking to the ski tech who set up the bindings, and the binding manufacturer. I watched the video several times, and that ski hit hard on the edges several times and should have popped off.[/b]
    World Cupper's set their bindings on "STAY"

I think the main problem was, as soon as the leg broke, there wasn't enough leverage to generate a release.

I don't know, man, how a binding could kick out like that on that slope (in the picture) if it was set at 7 and properly set up. The charts I have all indicate a 5 for your height and weight and sole length, going to 4 if you're over 50 years old.[/b]

I wonder why his left ski didn't come off. I would be looking to the ski tech who set up the bindings, and the binding manufacturer. I watched the video several times, and that ski hit hard on the edges several times and should have popped off.[/b]

You act like if the binding is set up properly, it will always release when it should, and always stay on when it should. That is not the case. A ski binding is just a dumb mechanical device. A release setting is just a torque value. It is impossible to have a setting that is "right" for all situations.

You act like if the binding is set up properly, it will always release when it should, and always stay on when it should. That is not the case. A ski binding is just a dumb mechanical device. A release setting is just a torque value. It is impossible to have a setting that is "right" for all situations.[/b]
    I'm not taking a simplistic view of this, and in fact, there is a dynamic component to the way a binding releases, it's not as simple as "just a torque value." A simple torque value ignores significant terms - friction, and mass of the moving parts (first and second derivitives). Plus, it's three dimensional.

I was only remarking on the extremes, or at least that was my intention. At one extreme, Pat's binding coming loose when he's just skiing; on the other, Lanzinger's staying on with such an extreme impact. Consider that his leg bones both broke, and it appears in the video that it was a torquing injury; perhpas the bindings should have released before both tibia and fibula broke. Just speculating, though.

I try to fall a couple times each year to be sure they release if needed.[/b]
    Gotta remember that one! :grin:

I have learned to exagerate my height and weight and shave 5 off my age when getting bindings set so they don't fall off unexpectedly.[/b]
    I do the same, but that still doesn't put them up where I need them for GS and Night League (as tested "on-course" via pre-releases).

+ Reply to Thread