+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: If Bodie can race on one ski, why can't I????

vis128, don't argue with Gurus.[/b]
    :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Touche...

Sorry guys.... I got carried away.
    OREDOCK BREWING COMPANY SKI BUMS
    http://ore-dock.com/

Bottom line- set the DIN where it needs to be to keep you from pre-releasing-yet will protect you in a major fall.[/b]
    Years ago when I went by the "Chart" one ski popped off cruising down a green road when the ski caught an edge. That was the last time I adheared to the "Chart". Enlighten me, how does boot length fit into the binding DIN equation?
    LB
    WAL18

Years ago when I went by the "Chart" one ski popped off cruising down a green road when the ski caught an edge. That was the last time I adheared to the "Chart". Enlighten me, how does boot length fit into the binding DIN equation?[/b]
    It relates to the leverage generated. All other things being equal, a longer boot sole = lower release setting.
    OREDOCK BREWING COMPANY SKI BUMS
    http://ore-dock.com/

Years ago when I went by the "Chart" one ski popped off cruising down a green road when the ski caught an edge. That was the last time I adheared to the "Chart". Enlighten me, how does boot length fit into the binding DIN equation?[/b]
    Take another look at the chart. The horizontal axis is boot length, the vertical is height/weight. The reason teh boot length matters is that the DIN setting is a spring tension, and for a given torque force for twisting the boot out, either twisting the toe out horizontally, or twisting the heel out vertically, the length of the lever, teh boot sole, will require a different spring tension. So the same twisting force for a long boot will need less spring tension than a shorter boot, which is a shorter lever.

I agree, it does seem weird how bindings set according to the recommendations can twist out at low speeds and apparently low forces. This has been one of the challenges in design over the years, since the trauma threshold for slow, twisting falls is lower than for higher speed dynamic loads. It seems contradictory, but it is so, the leg "system" is stronger in higher speed, high frequency loading. Note that many of the common ligament injuries result from low speed, twisting or backward falls. So, you actually want your binding to let go at a lower setting going slow than when your running fast.

First, a DIN number without a sole length is useless. Same height, weight and skill skiers' DIN varies 2 DIn over the sole length range.

I'm just curious as to how you ended up at 8 to start off with. The chart says you'd have to be over 210 lb. or over 6'5" tall. I know many racers set higher, and also more expert skiers set higher, but at 175 lb. you'd have very short boot soles, very high skill level, or be quite youthful. :)

The pre-release - what were the circumstances of the release?

Thanks,[/b]
    The sole lenth is 305, and the din was set by the ski shop that mounted the bindings, based on ability level.
    The pre-release happened on the course when the downhill ski released in the middle of a turn while on edge.
    My previous injury was the result of being blindsided by another skier, a collision I still have no memory of. It left me unconcious with aconcussion.

The sole lenth is 305, and the din was set by the ski shop that mounted the bindings, based on ability level.
    The pre-release happened on the course when the downhill ski released in the middle of a turn while on edge.
    My previous injury was the result of being blindsided by another skier, a collision I still have no memory of. It left me unconcious with aconcussion.[/b]

Man I haven't seen a sole length of 305 in awhile... lucky :'( I'm at 350

+ Reply to Thread