+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Divisions at the Nationals

Exparin again how you qualify for a certain division at the Nationals?

looking at a kid- male 7-8 - with 10 runs at Vail on 2/18 - 8 silvers and 2 golds

one run on Feb 17 - Bronze -

That is all the Nastar he did prior to Feb 19 -

How is it that he is in the bronze division?

Because his Nationals ranking was based off his State Ranking.
    State Ranking is defined as "The best handicap earned on your second best race day".
    So, his second best day is Bronze, so he is ranked Bronze and qualifies as such.

If his second day he received Platinum, he still would have been ranked Gold.

Make sense?
    Go Hard or GO HOME!

Because his Nationals ranking was based off his State Ranking.
    State Ranking is defined as "The best handicap earned on your second best race day".
    So, his second best day is Bronze, so he is ranked Bronze and qualifies as such.

If his second day he received Platinum, he still would have been ranked Gold.

Make sense?[/b]

Now that I re-read the rules that is what it says but still doesn't seem quite right in this case

What is the thinking behind that way to figure divisions?

His state ranking is silver - but that is using is second best day after the qualication period - Feb 19

I guess the answer is to just ski faster !

I thought I understood the system pretty well until I stumbled across one confusing situation. A 17- 20 year old male made two runs on our course earlier this month. His handicaps were 81 and 114. He was well short of a medal. Despite that, he is ranked #2 of 2 Bronze and has the yellow invitation banner. What am I missing?
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room"
    "When you're over the hill, you pick up speed!"
    NASTAR# MOO95 Ski Race Record
    NASTAR# MOO2023 Snowboard Race Record

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com
    pat-moore.artistwebsites.com

I thought I understood the system pretty well until I stumbled across one confusing situation. A 17- 20 year old male made two runs on our course earlier this month. His handicaps were 81 and 114. He was well short of a medal. Despite that, he is ranked #2 of 2 Bronze and has the yellow invitation banner. What am I missing?[/b]
    You don't need to win a medal to be in the Bronze division, it is the lowest level. If he is #2 of 2 he is in the top 3 at that resort.
    LB
    WAL18

Yup, as long as you race, you are in the Bronze Division. This may be why NASTAR didn't used to invite Bronzers. I'm not saying they shouldn't have that Division at Nationals, just that it does confuse things, and people that don't even medal do get invited to Nationals.
    I drink, therefore I am!
    CRU145

Can someone please explain to me how a male 30-34 racer who on 2 seperate days posted plat. medals with a resort handicapp of 3.99 can be in the gold division st nationals? Not only this but this racer has been a pacesetter numerous time with a pacesetter handicap of 4.0 which days of nastar ranking has been based upon. So how is this racer in the gold division.

Even if he post 3 plats, if he has a National handicap and it averages in the Gold...then he's a gold. For example, if he has one race at 3.99, one barely platinum, and the rest are solid gold, the 3.99 (best score) is dropped and then average the next 4 best (all others are dropped). As for having a 4 pacesetting handicap...The only thing I can think of is that he uses the 4 (3.99) at his home course because he knows that hill and that way it is fair for all (in his mind). The reality is that he should have an established handicap from a pacesetting trial. IF that is where he got his 4, then that is why he uses it for pacesetting. Even IF he got a 4 at pacesetting trials, but got (legitimately) mid teens at other resorts or against other pacesetters, that might be why he is in the Gold division based on his National Handicap (assuming he has one...raced at least 5 times, that is).

I know this is a lot of speculation, but without knowing/seeing all his results etc., that's all one can do.
    I drink, therefore I am!
    CRU145

I recognize this might not be the point of the original post but I wanted to address the comment/question about Bronzers at Nationals. My son is a fairly consistent racer but despite his best efforts he has struggled to get out of the bronze category all season long. He earned his spot to Nationals as a Bronze and is thrilled to death to have a chance to go to Steamboat and see how he does. I know your point was people who don't even finish the course can still end up bronze and qualify for nationals if they are in the right age category with limited competitors but not all Bronzers fall into this group. My son finally turned in some consistent silver runs this weekend but the course was set up much faster than earlier in the season. Based on his current race results he is now at the bottom of the silver category (no affect on Nationals I understand) and that has helped me understand why some racers who finish at the bottom of one medal feel they should go over racers at the top of a lower category. He would love to race against silver medalists but I suspect his overall performance at Nationals will be fairly consistent with his performance throughout the winter - the only variable is the course itself.

Thanks!

Even if he post 3 plats, if he has a National handicap and it averages in the Gold...then he's a gold. For example, if he has one race at 3.99, one barely platinum, and the rest are solid gold, the 3.99 (best score) is dropped and then average the next 4 best (all others are dropped). As for having a 4 pacesetting handicap...The only thing I can think of is that he uses the 4 (3.99) at his home course because he knows that hill and that way it is fair for all (in his mind). The reality is that he should have an established handicap from a pacesetting trial. IF that is where he got his 4, then that is why he uses it for pacesetting. Even IF he got a 4 at pacesetting trials, but got (legitimately) mid teens at other resorts or against other pacesetters, that might be why he is in the Gold division based on his National Handicap (assuming he has one...raced at least 5 times, that is).

I know this is a lot of speculation, but without knowing/seeing all his results etc., that's all one can do.[/b]
    Thanks for the information. The race record is slo179. This is all new to me as the is my first time to qualify. So i guess that it pays to race at least 5 time and at different resorts to gain a truer handicap. I had not skied in two years and posted a 10.15 in a foot of fresh powder, so I think that my handicap is skewed by the course gaining speed as the day progressed. Thanks again appreciate the explanation.

+ Reply to Thread