+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How does this training program look

SCskier, my comment wasn't directed at you. I thought that working on actual skiing technique was a given. Of course simply being in good shape doesn't make you a fast racer. I'm sure you know that. Sprry, I didn't mean to poke at your attempt to better yourself BEFORE the season even starts...as a matter of fact, I commend it.
    I drink, therefore I am!
    CRU145

SCskier, thanks for the PM. I tried to respond to your it, but your INBOX is full. You might want to go through it and delete old messages. (Hey HQ, how about a little more room in there? :wink: ) Anyway, here was my response to your PM:

Sorry for my ignorance, but what are penalties? If you are refering to the handicapping and how easy or hard it is to get a gold or platinum metal, well....it all depends on the resort and the day you go.

Bryce (VA) easier (Medium pitch...undulating terrain, fairly long run, course has a dog leg)
    Blue Knob (PA) easier (Flatter pitch, fairy straight)
    Roundtop (PA) Medium to difficult (Medium to steeper pitch, run bows a little right, great course, can be rutty)
    Whitetail(PA) Very difficult (medium pitch, straight, drop off 3/4 of the way down to tight turns, pace setter has an 18 handicap but is more like a 10 or 12)
    Wisp (MD) Not quite sure...I haven't raced there...would guess Medium to Hard (supposed to be a great warm up for Nationals)

Hope that helps. I look forward to meeting you. Let me know when you are coming up, I'll let bmorecopper, Ronsimmonson, and 79bombi (Wisp) know, and we can all get together... See ya in a few months!
    I drink, therefore I am!
    CRU145

Putterman the penalties I was refering to was for the USSA races. I race in SARA and our penalties are pretty high, I was wondering if those in PARA(penn alpine racing assoc.) were lower. I dont really know how to explain the penalties to you, but I am sure there is someone on this forum who can.

If I am ever in PA to race I will let you guys know, and I will def. try to run the nastar. I like running it at different resorts.

Well, anyone out there that can A) explain the penalty system, and B) do we even have the PARA here at our Southern PA resorts? All I have heard of around here is NASTAR. I didn't think we had a choice (except for the occasional local resort slolom race, the triple crown thing that the 3 sister mountains hold, and the Atomic race at Blue Knob...

SCskier, look forward to running some gates with you.
    I drink, therefore I am!
    CRU145

Putterman,
    I think there may be a link to PARA through the Roundtop racing website. There used to be one on Liberty. If I get to it before you I'll pass it along.

Copper

Heres the link http://www.paracing.org/
    I am not sure if we are to old. I looked at some of the race results and I only seen a handful of racers that were born before 1980. Maybe I was reading it the wrong way. Also, I couldn't find anything in the application that had an age division. I could have missed it though. (only four hours of sleep last night) If you find out anything let me know. Other wise we may have to look into Masters for anything outside of NASTAR
    Go hard or get outta my way.

SC Racer,
    Just for example Pa CUP 7 GS men's penalty was 88.25 This may be lower than you get in SARA Hope this helps Nat SR comp Lic was about $150 last yr.

SC Racer,
    Just for example Pa CUP 7 GS men's penalty was 88.25 This may be lower than you get in SARA Hope this helps Nat SR comp Lic was about $150 last yr.[/b]
    Penalties in PARA will generally be less than SARA - they can draw on local colleges and metro areas to pull in a few fast skiers. Penalties in TSARA will be even less. Of course, there's typically more racers which may mean a bigger rut when you have your turn. The other caveat is that who goes from year to year can vary. So, a high-quality field last year may not necessarily mean a high quality field this year. See if your coach will do some leg-work for you.

Finding a race or two out of area can be a fun road trip and a great way to meet other racers.
    Modern Ski Racing
    visit us at http://www.modernskiracing.com

Putterman,
    I think there may be a link to PARA through the Roundtop racing website. There used to be one on Liberty. If I get to it before you I'll pass it along.

Copper

Heres the link http://www.paracing.org/
    I am not sure if we are to old. I looked at some of the race results and I only seen a handful of racers that were born before 1980. Maybe I was reading it the wrong way. Also, I couldn't find anything in the application that had an age division. I could have missed it though. (only four hours of sleep last night) If you find out anything let me know. Other wise we may have to look into Masters for anything outside of NASTAR[/b]
    No one is too old for the J1/J2/Sr races. But, this is very high level racing and typically older people don't find it enjoyable (especially those who typically race NASTAR). You'll also need to get a membership in the USSA to enter.

Those looking for the next step after NASTAR may want to consider Masters racing. There are also ASRA races in your area which are well run and more competitive.
    Modern Ski Racing

Guys come on just because I do this I dont think I am going to instantly become a much better ski racer. I am just trying to become more all around on things to be better. If I didnt think technique mattered I wouldn't of spent over $1,500 in going to camp this summer. All I wanted to know was is this a program that can help in skiing, and the points it focus's on how can the relate.[/b]
    You race in USSA, right? If so, I bet you can work with your team coach to develop an off-season training program. The program you listed above would work well for a USSA racer. Be sure to talk to the trainer and let him/her know your training goals. You'll want your program to change over time as the season approaches.

Our other comments reminding everyone that you become a better skier through good skiing are for the general public. On the flip side, one of the most common things I see in recreational skiers and recreational racers is a poor fitness level. They take a few runs in the AM on a big mountain and they are done for the day. It's really hard to obtain skill acquisition if your legs are on fire after 10am. So, getting some consistent cardio and basic stretching in on the off season can help many recreational skiers to more thoroughly enjoy their ski vacations and to more quickly become a better skier.
    Modern Ski Racing

I think the forum just found its "explain it and smooth it over man". Well said, Bob.

On another note, what I like about NASTAR is that I can go run it pretty much when it is convenient for me. I have 5 resorts within 2 hours or so. So when I have the time, I choose the resort that happens to be running. I have seen other events around, but they seem sparatic. And with my "farm" schedule, (like golf) racing is not something that I "plan" for...rather an "I've got time...let's go!" event. But I think I would like to participate in one of these other competitions...
    I drink, therefore I am!
    CRU145

+ Reply to Thread