+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2007-08 Handicap Chart Updates

Super Moderator
    The Nature Valley NASTAR Handicap Charts have been updated for the 2007-08 season. Changes have been made based on the statistic from the 2006-07 season. Some of the female age groups changed but many of the age groups did not change.

I found this old posting regarding changes in the Nastar handicap chart. I think this is something Nastar should revisit for future years and maybe even this year if its not too late.

It seems to me that older Nastar racers are in better shape than the handicap chart indicates and its too easy for many to qualify gold and even platinum based on the current handicap ranges (myself for example). I think the handicap ranges should be tougher since more Masters level racers are participating in Nastar and only true platinum racers and true gold racers should be in those divisions.

Also, Nastar might want to look at the process for determining what division a racer should be in. Instead of being put into a division based on a state ranking that consists of only 2 days of racing where you are ranked on the weaker of the two days, which results in some racers having a day they can use to be placed in a lower division, what about having the division based on the best day of racing of the two days for state rankings and stay with the best 2,3,4th day for national rankings?

In addition, I would suggest Nastar consider racers who have between 15-25 Nastar race days, or at least 10 or more per year. If a racer has that many race days, say 10+, basing divisions for national rankings on the average of the 2nd, 3rd and 4th best days is misleading. If you race 15+ days a year you are bound to have four really good days, particularly on your home Nastar hill that you know so well, but that is not your average or what your level is on a consistent basis.

Just a thought, these might be suggestions that can help to place racers is more accurate divisions over the current system and would accommodate both those Masters level racers who are participating in Nastar and more recreational racers. I realize it would mean overhauling the Nastar software programs which would take time and money and is most likely not easy to do. Just a thought.

ChiTownChick :cool:

It seems to me that older Nastar racers are in better shape than the handicap chart indicates and its too easy for many to qualify gold and even platinum based on the current handicap ranges (myself for example). I think the handicap ranges should be tougher since more Masters level racers are participating in Nastar and only true platinum racers and true gold racers should be in those divisions.

ChiTownChick :cool:[/b]
    Bite your tongue! I waited too long to get an extra point! I started NASTAR at 49 and I've been 50 since Feb but have been waiting for this December so NASTAR will give me credit for being 50. I probably am in better shape than many 50 y/o men but I still suck at NASTAR (though I love it) and getting a gold is a challenge for me. I've been looking forward to them "lowering the bar" for me and you want to snatch it from me just as I get to the start! I just made it to the bottom of the Gold list.

Now, if you want to put all the 50 y/o Master Racers in a separate division, have at it. :mrgreen:

Ken

+ Reply to Thread