+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dry Land Training?

Wisconsin (We ski on ice you can see into!)

Talking

Well since my season is over what can I do to prepare for next season? I already work out for horse back riding but what are some ski specific things I can do? I am thinking about buying a good pair of rollerblades for apparently they are a good skiing simulator. (It should be interesting..I haven't been on skates in years. :-? )
    <span style="font-family:Book Antiqua">since 2008</span></span>

Thanks. That is some good information. A lot of those exercises are similar to what I do for horse back riding. Are there any good books as well that talk about skiing fitness?

BTM, I just started with a personal trainer after my back injury just over a month ago. We use the BOSU balls, and (while not the skier&#39;s edge) the profitter (same concept). Most people don&#39;t realize just how difficult a bunch of those things you guys are doing are! WOW! Quite impressive. I&#39;ll have to print this out to show my trainer. BTW, (I think it is on the BOSU website...not sure where) there is a video of a guy jumping from a 5-6 foot platform to a small trampuline, doing a flip, and sticking the landing on one of the fully round BOSU balls! (Not the halfround, but the grey kind that you showed above.) My trainer just keeps shaking his head and mumbling ,"I can&#39;t wait to see how well you ski next year..." . I&#39;m assuming that my ballance is SO bad that he can&#39;t believe that I could ski at all! :oops: Well I can&#39;t either. Now I just have to find a way to get him on a race course next year. :shock: :lol:
    I drink, therefore I am!
    CRU145

If you want to stay sharp on ski specific skills go out and buy a dirtbike. You would be surprised how closely the movements simulate ski racing. In fact there are many top level ski racers that ride dirbikes in the summer to stay on top of their game. I was amazed how much of a difference it made in my riding when a fellow rider that is incredibly fast and also dominates on the ski hill pointed out the similarities to me. All I had to do was mimic the movements used in skiing and everything changed. And anyone out there that rides will also vouch for the workout you get while riding even if some don&#39;t believe it. You will come back next season with your legs and core stronger than ever.

The pros all get hurt, the amateurs all get hurt and the kids all get hurt. Its part of the sport. Yeah, you get hurt in Ski Racing but the incidents (Unless you are an idiot like me and race SuperG and Downhill) are much less. In NASTAR racing its pretty infrequent - just ask BluFoxx :razz:[/b]
    I was watching the X-Games once and many of the dirt bike riders were missing a few teeth. :shock: Ummm...since I have had about $5000 worth of dental work I think I will stick to my horse. With barrel racing it is like skiing gates you lean the same way. Not that I can&#39;t fall off my horse but I think the odds of losing teeth are less. :grin: At least I hope so.

Smile

This is the one area where I exercise my wifely prerogative and put my foot down. Hard. No MX for Gary. I was with him after the surgery for the broken neck, and there ain&#39;t no way that I&#39;m going through that again. Especially since another head/neck injury will more than likely result in a drool cup and a bed pan for life. :shock: And while I will deal with that if it ever happens, I&#39;m not going to encourage him to hasten to that end. :!:

So while all his crazy friends (I love them dearly, but they are certifiable) *cough*Slabby*cough*Harold* are strongly encouraging him to get out on a dirt bike (and secretly, Gary wants to get out on a dirt bike and show these guys that he really can ride), I&#39;ve got to put my foot down on this one. Because if he goes off and kills himself, I will kill him! :D

He can race speed, and launch himself 200+ feet down a downhill course with my blessing, he can race Minis until he&#39;s dizzy, but no MX. And that&#39;s my final word! :mrgreen:
    Melior victus per venenum.

^ Good idea. I will have to go find one of those now. :grin:

Arrow

Ok so I went and bought a mouth guard today because I am going to be starting barrel racing in the next couple weeks. I even got one of the boil and bite kinds so it is kind of custom fitted. But it isn&#39;t going to work. One: Because I have a small mouth so it is kind of too big and it doesn&#39;t fit snugly even with the boil and bite. But my mouth is probably too big for a youth. Two: Even if I could get it to fit I can&#39;t wear it when I ride anyway because I cannot make a "click" or "kiss" noise. That is a big problem because I use these noises in conjunction with my leg to cue my horse to trot and canter. If I want a mouth guard for barrel racing it is probably going to have be something that is extremely low profile that is custom made by a dentist. I will check into one the next time I am at the dentist, but for now I will have to go without one.

Because if he goes off and kills himself, I will kill him! :D[/b]

Oh my goodness, Dr Liz have you been talking to my wife. You girls sound exactly alike. If you haven&#39;t been talking to her...stay away...she needs no encouragement :lol: :lol:

Go hard or get outta my way.

Exclamation

Well Fox, you get an "A" for effort!

Here&#39;s the solution to your problem. Take up Dressage, you aren&#39;t supposed give any verbal (or visible) cues to your partner (in the higher
    levels that is).

Dressage is to equestrian what GS is to skiing ;)[/b]
    Very funny. :lol: Can you see this horse as a dressage horse??? He is too short for dressage. They like horses that are 15.2 and above where as Buddy is 14.2. Poor shorty. But his shortness makes him a good barrel horse. He also doesn&#39;t have the right bone structure for dressage either. To top it off...he is gaited. He is part Missouri Fox Trotter so he is smoother than other breeds, but moves differently too, again not the greatest dressage prospect. Also IMHO he would look really dumb in a english saddle. I also can&#39;t see my self as a dressage rider either. You have to be skinny with long legs and no torso. :P Here he is, I am 5&#39; 7" if that helps with scale.

+ Reply to Thread