+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Newbie questions

Anonymous

Newbie questions

Hi guys-

I'm glad I found this forum - tons of great info. I am a newer skier (6 seasons) that just started fooling around with the gates last year at the urging of my son. Somehow we both managed to qualify for the Nationals this year despite very limited days of racing. We plan to attend. When will we get another chance to ski Utah?

My questions are: first, will I be laughed off the mountain if I race in my Atomic R11s? I do not own race skis, but I guess I could rent a pair there. Any thoughts? Next, I do not own a race suit and have no desire to buy one - my son does not wish to wear one either. Does this matter? Finally, we both race on Heckler. Any thoughts on this course? My son tore his right ACL two years ago and, because of his age, has not had it repaired. He wears a brace and has done extensive exercise to strengthen the surrounding muscles, but I worry about him on a steep rutted race course.

Thanks,
    Chuck

Re: Newbie questions

Originally posted by Frisbetarian

My questions are: first, will I be laughed off the mountain if I race in my Atomic R11s? I do not own race skis, but I guess I could rent a pair there. Any thoughts? Next, I do not own a race suit and have no desire to buy one - my son does not wish to wear one either. Does this matter? Finally, we both race on Heckler. Any thoughts on this course? My son tore his right ACL two years ago and, because of his age, has not had it repaired. He wears a brace and has done extensive exercise to strengthen the surrounding muscles, but I worry about him on a steep rutted race course.

Thanks,
    Chuck
    The R11s should be fine. I would say just use them. As for the suits most people have them but not everyone. Lastly the course is not that steep but may have ruts on it just for the sake that you don't know how many people are racing before you.
    www.Paskiandride.com/
    ^^Check it out^^

Anonymous

hi from another newbie

I have asked m ost of the questions that you asked because we are totally new too! My 12 year old daughter has qualified and also did not have a race suit. Well... we bought her one last Saturday :-) Although you don't need one I felt that a pre-teen girl who wants to look like everyone else would have a better experience if she had one. She was prepared not to wear one, but wow is she happy now that she has it. I told her now she'd look like every other kid in their Spyder suit and we won't even know who she is :-)

If you and your boy don't care that's good--but preteen girls are another matter when it comes to clothes. my guess is that we'll see some super-serious people who get nationals confused with the olympics, and other less-experienced racers who are just happy to be there and think of it as another course and yet another ski area. Now those ruts are going to be another story for her--she won't ever race NASTAR at our home resort if there are ruts :(

Have fun!

These are quotes from an 11 y.o girl that was at nationals for 2nd time last year and raced on heckler. They are not necesarily facts but definate truths to her now that she is 12 and racing on heckler again. "Why do we have to race on the hard course when everyone else is on an easy course?" "If it is as icy & rutty as it was last year I'll be mad." Now she is not the greatest skier, finished in bottom third last year. However, saying all of that, going to nationals remains her top priority and by far the best experiences she has had to date. Read the threads about race suits there have been very good comments in that area. Hecker is not that steep but definately longer and a little steeper than majority of NASTAR courses I have seen. There are some serious people there but I have learned a lot just being around some of them. There are plenty of people are there just because they qualified and its a good excuse to go to Park City and have a great family experience. We tried to rent better skis the first year to no avail. Maybe if you research it enough before arrival you will have better luck. We raced in cheap rentals and nobody said a word. However, like the race suit, the second year she wanted better everything to look like she knew what she was doing, even if she didn't.

Hi Chuck,
    If your child is more comfortable not wearing a GS suit, then I would leave him be. You may want to set the scene and let him know that most kids will have one. That way, it won't be a surprise. Wish my kids were like that. "Dad, I was thinking... I really don't want new skis next year... These skis are fine...And, I hope you don't mind, but I just cleaned my room."

Anonymous

Ruts

My recollection of racing 25 years ago was all ruts. Thats why I never got into racing much--it was a form of torture. It seems now it is a whole different story. When we have big races at my resort they rake between division or age groups or whatever. Ruts are not even an issue. Is Park City not raking their courses? are ruts that big of an issue??

Anonymous

Thanks to all for your advice and encouragement. We are booked and ready to race. We'll be the guys with the duct tape on the thumbs of our gloves, no GS suits, and the Boston accents. 8)

Originally posted by BobHarwood
    Hi Chuck,
     If your child is more comfortable not wearing a GS suit, then I would leave him be.  You may want to set the scene and let him know that most kids will have one.  That way, it won't be a surprise.  Wish my kids were like that.  \"Dad, I was thinking... I really don't want new skis next year... These skis are fine...And, I hope you don't mind, but I just cleaned my room.\"
    Bob, the skis he'll take - the room is perpetually dirty, it's a victory when we can see the floor - it's a 12 y/o boy thing with the GS suit. He thinks they look great on girls, but.... And if I wore one, he'd never leave the room. :oops: It saves me some $$ I guess, and I doubt .2 sec is going to matter much to his placement. A rookie racer with a torn ACL in a very competitive division (11/12 boys) is just there for the experience.

Thanks again to all,
    Chuck

sounds like there are at least 4 11-12 here

You have the 12 yo boy, skidad and I have 12 yo girls, and then there is our local Speed Demon who is also female 11-12. Guess we'll also see each other somehow.

Curious, skidad, where are you from and why do you rent skis there rather than bringing yours with you? We are from CO, and hope the weather doesn't throw us any curves when we drive because we have never flown with skis and didn't want to buy the ski luggage to do that this one time.

We live in a tiny town near Amarillo, Tx. We own a vacation home at Red River, a small resort about 40 minutes from Taos. We make the 5 hour drive every weekend to ski. We fly from Amarillo to Park City just one stop with a connection in Vegas. We do bring our own gear now. Just the first year we were demoing new equipment all year and hadn't bought new yet. We are headed to Vail and Beaver Creek this week to join the throngs of Spring Breakers and enjoy Co. snow.

+ Reply to Thread