+ Reply to Thread

Thread: lifts open when?

lifts open when?

on the friday and saturday of the Nationals, will the lifts open early enough to allow old geezers (like me) time to appropriately warm up one's body before the 9:30 race start? will there be lift lines for Nastar Nationals racers to keep us moving back up? haven't been to Nationals since the first year they were at Park City.

Re: lifts open when?

Originally posted by skis the limit
    on the friday and saturday of the Nationals, will the lifts open early enough to allow old geezers (like me) time to appropriately warm up one's body before the 9:30 race start? will there be lift lines for Nastar Nationals racers to keep us moving back up? haven't been to Nationals since the first year they were at Park City.
    Last year, the lifts opened at 8:30 am . There was barely time to do more than one or two warm-up runs and one or two inspection runs, before they had the kids lining up to race. It's about an 8-10 minute lift ride, and that's with no line (which I guarantee there will be).

Can't say what'll happen this year, but figure it'll be the same.

This will be our first attendance at Nationals.

Based upon last year at SB, what were the lift lines like on Friday and Saturday? ie, what's the typical wait in line and how long of a lift ride is it?

Also, does the NASTAR course have a different lift that one can use to 'loop' that course?

Thanks

The Christie II and Christie III lifts run roughly alongside Vogue, VooDoo SeeMe, and SeeYa. From the top of the Christie lifts, it is about a 2 minute ski down to the start area for Bashor, SeeYa, VoDoo, SeeMe and Vogue. They are about an 8-10 minute ride (not high speed or express lifts). Look at the trail map on the steamboat web site:

http://www.steamboat.com/images/mountain/m.../trailMapLg.jpg

If you are in the base area, you will have to ride up the Southface lift (4-5 minute slow speed lift) and then ski down to the Christie lifts. My suggestion would be to not ride the Gondola up, as it takes you way too far up the hill, and takes about 10-15 minutes to ski back down to the race area.

Last year, on Friday morning, they only had the Christie II lift running, and there was about a 10-15 minute wait just to to get on the lift. It wasn't a problem, because they were running late with the starts anyway (as they usually do on the morning of the first day). As the lines got bigger, they finally opened the Christie III lift, and then you had no more than a five minute wait.

Hope this helps!

thanks for the info

thanks tons...this helps alot !!!

being late

Last year you were allowed to race out of bib order if you missed your sequence. You get two runs each day of course.

Also, the lifties noticed your race bib and didn't dork around with scanning tickets.

And you're right, everything runs late. From what I recall, 30-45 mins, but you should still strive to be there on time.
    Bill T

How far is it to get from the Gondola over to the Christie lifts? From the map it looks like the Christie lifts are up the hill a ways from the Gondola base? Do the beginner lifts take you far enough up to catch them?

Also, is there a ski corral somewhere convienient? My son races after noon, and we won't want the race skis all day.

Thanks

Originally posted by Plotman
    How far is it to get from the Gondola over to the Christie lifts?  From the map it looks like the Christie lifts are up the hill a ways from the Gondola base?  Do the beginner lifts take you far enough up to catch them?

Also, is there a ski corral somewhere convienient?  My son races after noon, and we won't want the race skis all day.

Thanks
    I would not try to walk from the Gondola base area to the Christie lift - it is too far, and too much vertical to overcome. Take the Southface lift up and ski down to the Christie lifts - takes five minutes - shorter than walking, and much easier too.

There are many places in the Gondola base area to leave a pair of skis, either unlocked, or with a locking device. We did not seek out a corral of any kind (don't know if one exists) we just left the skis in the rack - there are so many skis there that the chance of a random robbery is minimal -IMHO.

Or better yet, leave them in the car, or the hotel room, until race time, and get them then.

There is a corral at the bottom, and they charge about $5/day to leave your skis there.

+ Reply to Thread