+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Resort / State Rankings using old handicap charts?

Resort / State Rankings using old handicap charts?

I've been looking at several resort and state rankings for my kids, and I'm confused why someone who earned a silver is listed in the Bronze resort rankings (Moonlight Basin - Bronze Girl 7-8 - a 64 handicap is a silver) http://www.nastar.com/index.jsp?pagename=v...go.x=22&go.y=15

Or why someone with a 2nd best handicap that earned him a platinum is listed in the gold state rankings (Boys, 9-10, Minnesota -- a 26 handicap is a platinum). http://www.nastar.com/index.jsp?pagename=v...go.x=15&go.y=15

Check the NASTAR Rules/Ino link on the left-hand menu of the NASTAR homepage. It has to do with the better medals not being counted for State rankings, and/or the Nationals average falling into the lower category.

That doesn't answer why someone who earned a Silver medal at a resort is showing up as part of the Bronze resort ranking. The NASTAR rules state
    You receive a Resort Ranking at each resort where you race after completing just one (1) Nature Valley NASTAR race. The best handicap earned at each resort during the season is used to determine your Resort Ranking for that particular resort.
    So shouldn't earning a silver medal place that person on the Silver resort ranking, and not Bronze?

Same goes for state rankings. You need two races to get a state ranking.
    These two races must be completed on separate days. The best handicap earned on your second best race day during the season is used to determine your State Ranking.
    So if a person has 2 Platinums on two different days, how is that person listed on the gold state rankings, and not in the platinum state rankings? (See MN, Male 9-10 gold rankings, and see the listed 2nd best handicap for the #1 racer. That is a platinum handicap. Alternatively, pull up the race results and see his individual results. He has 2 platinums from 2 different days, so why is He gold?

I could go on. It seems to me that there are material mistakes - given the way the rules are written - in most of the state and resort rankings that I have looked at. [/quote]

Check to see if they have a national ranking, which will take precedence in classifying them into the correct division.

If they have less than 5 days, their division ranking is based on their second best run, but once they get five or more days in, they get a national ranking, which then becomes the default for division classification.

When calculating the average for the national ranking, the computaion throws out the lowest handicap and then averages the next three lowest handicaps, so if you had one or two good runs, one of these will get thrown out, and the other one will be averaged in with the next best two.

So..........once a person has a national ranking, one could have 2 platinum runs, and still be in the gold division, have two gold medal runs and still be in silver, or have 2 silvers, and be in the bronze.

In the case of the Moonlight Basin Girls 7-8 the top girl raced two days, and her second best day was a bronze (one bronze day, one silver) so she goes into the bronze division - perfectly all right - just what NASTR rules say should happen.

In the case of the state ranking for boys 9-10 in Minnesota, the top boy has a national handicap, and his average (throwing out his best platinum run) puts him in the gold division. Alos pefectly correct - just what NASTAR rules prescibe to do.

The division (Bronze, silver, gold, plat) are based on the highest level that you are ranked in (National being highest, then state, then resort). If you are ranked silver in state, but you have a single gold medal at Steamboat, your Steamboat division will still be silver.

I've been looking at several resort and state rankings for my kids, and I'm confused why someone who earned a silver is listed in the Bronze resort rankings (Moonlight Basin - Bronze Girl 7-8 - a 64 handicap is a silver) http://www.nastar.com/index.jsp?pagename=v...=22&go.y=15

Or why someone with a 2nd best handicap that earned him a platinum is listed in the gold state rankings (Boys, 9-10, Minnesota -- a 26 handicap is a platinum). http://www.nastar.com/index.jsp?pagename=v...=15&go.y=15[/b]

That's right! everybody keep looking and you'll see there are more problems than just one or two.....thanks for looking further and asking Plotman....

Plot man if you look at the 26 hcp fotr the boys you referenced it is because his ntl hcp is a 28 and you category is based on national if you have a ntl hcp.
    An eye for an eye!

+ Reply to Thread