+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Lost in space: counterbend v. crossover?

Is it basically carving on one ski? or even better...Javilin (dog pee) turns?
    www.Paskiandride.com/
    ^^Check it out^^

Anonymous

Jargon

Originally posted by Dr. NO
    My comment on JARGON and such was true and very sincere. I know how to ski and can spot or see some things people do, but in here, people are at a level FAR above anything I have seen or heard, skiing, reading or in camps.  I NEED TO LEARN MORE before I continue looking into racing and coaching and such. But, I hate to read and look into all the magazines anymore because they just repeat the same old BS.  Obviously I have missed a few things, especially in racing.

And, yes, I am a smart ARSE and very fecicious in my comments at times (most times).

Thanks for putting up with me.  :D
    "NO", I need your input and that of others as in writing my book, which is a HUGE PROJECT, I need to make sure I communicate and hold the interest of all levels. I quite clearly write a little too technically in this forum for some (not suggesting you). When I prattle on and it doesn't hit home, please let me know, I NEED TO KNOW!

and I have never been known to smart arse around either :lol:

On the other side of the coin, if you have found any value in things I have posted and feel they do hit home, letting me know is likewise appreciated.

Dr Verbosity (aka Skiodor, aka, the name that must not be spoken)

Just one foot rather than Javelin

Originally posted by skidude
    Is it basically carving on one ski?  or even better...Javilin (dog pee) turns?
    The drill is, indeed, carving on one ski. I'll describe another cross-over drill in a separate post.

Javelin turns are different - they are where you pick up the uphill ski and point the tip down the hill (crossing the tip somewhere over or in front of the front binding of the down hill ski). The intent was to get you to counter rotate or "anticipate" in old ski lingo. [see footnote below]

In a modern turn, this isn't encouraged as much. The goal is to keep the hips more square. Newer equipment allows you to do this and be faster.
    I think our resident expert pointed that out somewhere in another post...not sure if it's still around... Skiodor???

(Darn those modernists - as soon as we learn one technique, we must forget it to learn another. Maybe we should have a book called "Zen and the Art of Skiing?" :wink: )

Ha every once in a while my coaches make use do that down a green or a blue. Its great there are 50 kids carving by everyone on one ski :twisted: :D

Once you learn how to do it, its fun but until then it stinks and is the worst thing in the world :(
    www.Paskiandride.com/
    ^^Check it out^^

Early season boredom on my first shaped skis. Got on the beginner area and left a ski at the base. Lifty shouted at me "SIR you forgot your ski". Had to explain I was practicing. Got it down to looking like a snow boarder by the end of the day, on both legs.

Tough part is, you don't realize how long a run really is until you are on ONE LEG. DANG, 1000 vertical over about 3/4 miles is a long way on one ski.

Anonymous

Could be worse...

Originally posted by skidude
    Ha every once in a while my coaches make use do that down a green or a blue.  Its great there are 50 kids carving by everyone on one ski :twisted:  :D  

Once you learn how to do it, its fun but until then it stinks and is the worst thing in the world :(
    Lucky you. We make our kids do it through a course :twisted: :twisted:

One night a few years ago, GMVS came to our hill to practice slalom under the lights. Their students were going through our slalom course on one foot at the same pace as ours were going through on two. Yeow!

Re: Could be worse...

Originally posted by bob+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bob)</div>
    <!--QuoteBegin-skidude
    Ha every once in a while my coaches make use do that down a green or a blue.  Its great there are 50 kids carving by everyone on one ski :twisted:  :D  

Lucky you. We make our kids do it through a course :twisted: :twisted:

One night a few years ago, GMVS came to our hill to practice slalom under the lights. Their students were going through our slalom course on one foot at the same pace as ours were going through on two. Yeow![/b]
    DANG, now that is GOOD ! I heard a PSIA guy say they practiced in BUMPS that way, but have never seen it. Just going on one for long periods is tough. SL on one in gates? WOW ! I need to get up to the BUSH more often.

Ha they let us go down nastar like that for a time AFTER everyone went and there were huge ruts. Fun stuff :roll:
    www.Paskiandride.com/
    ^^Check it out^^

Anonymous

Re: Just one foot rather than Javelin

Originally posted by BobHarwood+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BobHarwood)</div>
    <!--QuoteBegin-skidude
    Is it basically carving on one ski?  or even better...Javilin (dog pee) turns?
    The drill is, indeed, carving on one ski. I'll describe another cross-over drill in a separate post.

Javelin turns are different - they are where you pick up the uphill ski and point the tip down the hill (crossing the tip somewhere over or in front of the front binding of the down hill ski). The intent was to get you to counter rotate or "anticipate" in old ski lingo. [see footnote below]

In a modern turn, this isn't encouraged as much. The goal is to keep the hips more square. Newer equipment allows you to do this and be faster.
    I think our resident expert pointed that out somewhere in another post...not sure if it's still around... Skiodor???

(Darn those modernists - as soon as we learn one technique, we must forget it to learn another. Maybe we should have a book called \"Zen and the Art of Skiing?\" :wink: )[/b]
    Hey Bob, looks like we are going to get a group together on the 25th, join us! As for what is still up, unfortunately many of the posts were removed due to frustration with silly and unfortunate posts by one too many, um, will better left unsaid (remember Jeblome).

I am here, however, have added a few new posts and one detailed one on the various ways to enter a turn as an addition/collaboration to one of your excellent posts. They all can be found under this thread

http://www.nastar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=158

The earlier posts are gone but will reappear in the book in much more detail with plenty of pictures and graphics (if I actually get this monstrous thing published).

I for one am not a huge fan of either the Javelin Turn or single foot exercises. Sure, they get you moving across or through and get you on the uphill inside edge, but the movements and the balance just don't hit home for me in relation to the MSRT.

I prefer "Tipping" exercises (using both skis and a high tuck on Flat Terrain), which can be learned and practiced by any level skier where the single ski exercises are a bit advanced. I will be covering the "Tipping Point" exercises in threatened manuscript in detail as well. But that's just me.

Blabador Doeshetalktomuchski

Hey, I turned 50 today! I’m a Men’s 6 next season, can’t wait!!! I get away from Bill Skinner for a whole season :D

HAAAAPPPPPPY BIRTHDAY :twisted: :!: :!:
    www.Paskiandride.com/
    ^^Check it out^^

+ Reply to Thread