PDA

View Full Version : The mental part of skiing...

RShea
02-27-2008, 01:30 AM
Jimmy,

Can you discuss some issues about the mental part of skiing. Specifically the issues of injuries and wicked falls that seem to not only take a while for the body to get back into it, but more so the sometimes longer time it takes to build confidence in racing.

Sometimes I find that the mental part is really more of a challenge since the course may not be what you are used to (like Nationals discussions about skiing on much steeper slopes, or a crash that seems to take you bout of your confidence mode?

JimmyCochran
02-27-2008, 01:41 AM
Jimmy,

Can you discuss some issues about the mental part of skiing. Specifically the issues of injuries and wicked falls that seem to not only take a while for the body to get back into it, but more so the sometimes longer time it takes to build confidence in racing.

Sometimes I find that the mental part is really more of a challenge since the course may not be what you are used to (like Nationals discussions about skiing on much steeper slopes, or a crash that seems to take you bout of your confidence mode?[/b]

I aways joke that confidence is mental, which makes it seem so simple. But I don't think you can trick yourself into being confident. The way you become confident is by earning it. Whether in training, or racing, or playing your mom in ping pong, or whatever. The point is, if you work hard in training, and try hard on race day than you will accumulate confidence. That being said I think you have to forget about confidence in sports. To quote Ted Ligety, "focusing on your mental game can't make you better, but it can sure drag you down." You are who you are and everybody gets nervous. Focus on technique, go like hell, and have some fun. Everything else takes care of itself. And if for some reason it doesn't... there's always tomorrow.