PDA

View Full Version : GS radius

putterman
02-27-2008, 01:06 AM
As I sit here with a Molon XXX (beer) in hand, I can't help but ask what you think about skis for NASTAR courses. Sorry if this is a no brainer for you, but there seems to be a bit of debate here on the forum about it. Some are swearing that SL's are getting them better times. Others insist that you can't "crank" SL's around the gates and that GS's are a must. Those that are from the latter school of thought debate on the perfect GS radius for NASTAR. While I'm sure that you can whip a 27 meter ski around these gates at will, most of us are not so skilled. It seems that the consensus is that 15 to 21 meters is the ideal radius for the average to above average racer. What are your thoughts?

JimmyCochran
02-27-2008, 01:44 AM
As I sit here with a Molon XXX (beer) in hand, I can't help but ask what you think about skis for NASTAR courses. Sorry if this is a no brainer for you, but there seems to be a bit of debate here on the forum about it. Some are swearing that SL's are getting them better times. Others insist that you can't "crank" SL's around the gates and that GS's are a must. Those that are from the latter school of thought debate on the perfect GS radius for NASTAR. While I'm sure that you can whip a 27 meter ski around these gates at will, most of us are not so skilled. It seems that the consensus is that 15 to 21 meters is the ideal radius for the average to above average racer. What are your thoughts?[/b]

I think you nailed it. Somewhere between a SL and GS radius is probably perfect. Short SL skis often feel fast in such situations when in reality they're not. It should feel like you have to muscle the ski around yet still feel like you can be reasonably quick.